+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by realityfan101
    Connecticut, don't know where I got Kentucky from.
    Being a Hoosier transplanted to New England, I can say - Kentucky, Connecticut, there about the same...
    (okay, just kidding... really, don't anyone slam for me my sarcasm)

Last night I started to realize....that I've lost interest in Survivor.

I forgot to watch last week's episode (deleted it from my Tivo, didn't care) and then last night....

I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    Being a Hoosier transplanted to New England, I can say - Kentucky, Connecticut, there about the same...
    (okay, just kidding... really, don't anyone slam for me my sarcasm)
    Actually... you're not far off. I lived in Connecticut and... umm... it's truly an odd world of it's own.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    The prayers were shown after the switch, Danni, Brandon, BJ, Gary, Amy, Blake and Brian. Since Blake is the only one who's gone now, I would guess they are still praying.
    I know a lot of athletic teams do the prayer before games thing (just my opinion of God, but would he care who wins?), so maybe that would explain Danni and Gary bonding over it.
    lopevian--think it's time to start saving for a new computer!

FORT Newbie
    Furthermore, where is it written that expressions of faith have to be kept private? Why are people so offended by individuals expressing their religious beliefs out loud?
    You really want to know?

Matthew 6:5 - 6:6. 'And when you pray, do not do as the hypocrites do, for they love to stand on the street corners and in the synagogues, that everyone may see them. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and close the door, and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.'

The speaker is Christ, during the Sermon on the Mount -- two verses later he's teaching what is now known as the Lord's Prayer ('Our Father, who art in Heaven...'). He's teaching His followers what to say, where to say it, when to say it, how to say it, in order to connect with God.

It always amazes me to see fundamentalist Christians get up in arms over things like homosexuality, which Jesus didn't care about at all, and yet promote school prayer, which goes directly against Christ's teachings.

Anyway. The point I was making is: according to the teachings of the very religion this group of people were subscribing to, prayer is meant to be a private and personal thing, not a public 'hey-look-at-me' thing.

(Yeah, I know this comment was a couple days ago...sorry about that.)

Tay

Quote Originally Posted by Tayven
    You really want to know?

Matthew 6:5 - 6:6. 'And when you pray, do not do as the hypocrites do, for they love to stand on the street corners and in the synagogues, that everyone may see them. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and close the door, and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.'

The speaker is Christ, during the Sermon on the Mount -- two verses later he's teaching what is now known as the Lord's Prayer ('Our Father, who art in Heaven...'). He's teaching His followers what to say, where to say it, when to say it, how to say it, in order to connect with God.

It always amazes me to see fundamentalist Christians get up in arms over things like homosexuality, which Jesus didn't care about at all, and yet promote school prayer, which goes directly against Christ's teachings.

Anyway. The point I was making is: according to the teachings of the very religion this group of people were subscribing to, prayer is meant to be a private and personal thing, not a public 'hey-look-at-me' thing.

(Yeah, I know this comment was a couple days ago...sorry about that.)

Tay
    But Tayven, only a few chapters later in Matthew 18:20 is the following:

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them"

I'm not intending to turn this into a Biblical debate, but if, as you pointed out, we look at the Christian religious beliefs as the basis for the tribe's actions on Survivor, there is nothing wrong with them praying as a group.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte
    I'm not intending to turn this into a Biblical debate, but if, as you pointed out, we look at the Christian religious beliefs as the basis for the tribe's actions on Survivor, there is nothing wrong with them praying as a group.
    Didn't say there was. I objected to public prayer, not group prayer. Difference. So of course then it becomes a matter of semantics: when your entire society consists of seven people on a beach, is all seven 'public' or just a group?

There's no clear answer to that. I can only refer back to my original point: in this instance, it was a circumstance that made at least one person uncomfortable, and thus wasn't so much 'group' as a public activity that all members were expected to participate in, and anyone not participating would mark himself as an outcast: not a member of that society. That would have terminal repercussions in this game.

Moot point now -- Brian's gone -- but the point's still worth discussing.

Tay

I wonder if we would see the same degree of support if it were a group of scientologists trying to pull everyone in the group into whatever mumbo jumbo they do.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    lopevian- I trust you when you say you've mended your ways.
    FINally!! You have my humble thanks.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

+ Reply to Thread