+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    I know that Probst is now dating or engaged to a former Survivor tribe member from another season. That's not Stephanie, right? I don't think they could do that.
    Good god, no. Thank god. It was Julie Berry (sp?). Or is Julie, rather.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

It's Julie from Vanatu (or however you spell it! LOL!) and they started dating after the show was over.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    I felt the same way about it. Anyone there could have been Muslim or something. I think in a group situation like that, you should always ask if anyone is offended by it. If they are, you can gather quietly away from them with the other members that want to pray. However, it could have been that conversation DID take place and we just weren't shown it. Perhaps they asked if anyone minded and Brian kept quiet then as well. As someome else said, I don't blame him for keeping his mouth shut. Anything can put a target on your back at this point in the game. However, I probably would just be quiet and respectful during prayers without participating if I were annoyed by it. I wouldn't bother faking it like he's doing.
    I'm actually glad this has come up. I was thinking I was the only person who was really bothered by the whole 'praying before the meal' thing. Shoving your religion down someone else's throat is just wrong. It's their prerogative to pray or not pray as they see fit -- mandating a group prayer or making someone feel like an outcast in the group dynamics because of how he does or does not choose to express his faith is not only inappropriate and obnoxious, it's against the teachings of Christ in the first place. So...it's hypocritical.

I guess the real reason it bothers me is because I remember Palau, and Ibrahim. He was Muslim, and I remember how he would take some time by himself every day to pray, as Muslims are supposed to. Now and again the camera would show it, but nobody ever made a big deal out of it. He never got preachy, or shoved it in anyone's face. His faith was his faith, and if anybody else wanted to do their own thing, that was up to them. I had so much respect for that. To me the contrast is huge, and very discomforting: the one man who expressed his faith privately, and the group who are making a lot of assumptions about whether or not their teammates want to pray publicly.

I mean, in the big scheme of things, of the struggles contestants have to go through in 39 days on Survivor, coping with a few inappropriate 'Our Father's ranks pretty low on the list. But it bugged me to see it.

Tay

FORT Fogey
    I like Brian and think he's a pretty smart player, so far. I can't believe Steph last night in the IC was saying something to the effect, "follow me, I know what I'm doing" like she is the Queen of Survivor Challenges. This woman needs to be booted and booted soon!

I do have favorites now - Amy and Brian. I LOVE Amy's accent and she reminds me of a friend of mine - looks like her, talks like her, and I just love it! I'm hoping Amy doesn't really get hurt next week and can and does continue cuz I think she is so funny! And all those questions she asked may seem silly, but she was attempting to build a relationship with people she has nothing in common with. I think it was a good play on her part.

Brian is just playing smart right now. He stands back a little, looks at the landscape and then very silently makes his move and no one even realizes what has happened. I think Brian may go far in this game. I'm hoping he does, it's about time someone who knows how to strategize and not just dominate challenges or fly under the radar wins the game.

well, they don't actually expect me to bow my head. i'm actually free to do whatever i want. isn't america great! i am just tollerant of every ones beliefs, so i don't mind. but enough of that for me. you could argue about religion for hours.

I don't get how they are shoving their religion down his throat if he hasn't (or anyone else for that matter) expressed his non-interest in praying. They are "assuming" no-one has a problem with it because no-one has said anything. And..I'd lay odds one of them said something like "Hey I'd like to pray before we eat is that ok?" At this point then you respectfully tell your opinion and offer a compromise. I'm sorry but they are all adults and if he doesn't pray or doesn't believe as they do, then jeez louise just tell them and odds are they will apologize if they offended him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayven
    I'm actually glad this has come up. I was thinking I was the only person who was really bothered by the whole 'praying before the meal' thing. Shoving your religion down someone else's throat is just wrong. It's their prerogative to pray or not pray as they see fit -- mandating a group prayer or making someone feel like an outcast in the group dynamics because of how he does or does not choose to express his faith is not only inappropriate and obnoxious, it's against the teachings of Christ in the first place. So...it's hypocritical.

I guess the real reason it bothers me is because I remember Palau, and Ibrahim. He was Muslim, and I remember how he would take some time by himself every day to pray, as Muslims are supposed to. Now and again the camera would show it, but nobody ever made a big deal out of it. He never got preachy, or shoved it in anyone's face. His faith was his faith, and if anybody else wanted to do their own thing, that was up to them. I had so much respect for that. To me the contrast is huge, and very discomforting: the one man who expressed his faith privately, and the group who are making a lot of assumptions about whether or not their teammates want to pray publicly.

I mean, in the big scheme of things, of the struggles contestants have to go through in 39 days on Survivor, coping with a few inappropriate 'Our Father's ranks pretty low on the list. But it bugged me to see it.

Tay
    How were they shoving it down his throat? He wasn't held at knife point and forced to pray. He is a grown up, he could have said he wasn't religious and chosen not to participate.

I don't think they were forcing him or shoving it down his throat. He is a grown up, as you say. I do think that they were a little insensitive to the diverse group they were with if they didn't even ask, though. Which they may have, we don't know.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

So no one has any predictions as to who will be the last 2 standing?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I was watching Survivor Insider and this was what I could make out from Bobby Jon and Danni...

Bobby Jon : " Blake, This is something I really didn't want to do...But even the way the votes were going tonight, you would have been going home anyway...So therefore the only thing I can do is to stick with the alliance, and thats what you would want me to do, and thats what I want you to do??..."

Danni: " This is a really hard decision for me and you're a great guy but I think there are so many things that you've experienced in life that others haven't had the chance yet and that is why I want to give them the opportunity to play the game further."

So from this we can tell BJ knew about Danni's decision before tribal council and whether Danni voted Blake off because of strategic reasons or just because Blake was such a pain still remains unknown despite what she said during the tribal council.

ETA: Brandon just said he had to keep a promise to someone so he might not have been informed about the decision to vote Blake off.
    Last edited by Nikki_Brandon; 10-14-2005 at 02:10 PM.
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

+ Reply to Thread