+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is the Editing going too far this time?

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    If we're supposed to still like Stephenie this time around, they're doing a very poor job with the editing. Every other confessional seems to be self-righteous Stephenie yakking.

Then again, what do I know? I couldn't stand Rupert from day one.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

I think the overall problem the editors are facing is that NOTHING is happening outside of the competitions. The heat and bugs are so unbearable that instead of scheaming the tribefools are just laying around. The one tribe has fishing equipment that is apparently lying idle while they complain about being hungry.

Judd has made himself unlikable from the start. The editors can manipulate a lot of things, but a quote is a quote. I loved Bobby Jon last year because of the way he acted (except the snot rockets), but this year he is an ungrateful jerk. I think Judd is getting a fair edit and Bobby Jon is getting a fairer one this year than last.

The location for the show was a big mistake this year. The only way I can see to generate some action is to switch the tribes each week.

Danni is doing very well for a skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjay
    Brooke said that Steph took 30 attempts, but I'm guessing by the nice round number that she's exagerating. Steph must have taken a fair few shots to allow Yaxha to close, but I find it extremely hard to believe that she managed 30 attempts before Brian started. I'm thinking 8... 10... maximum.

Brooke I'm sure is more than a little bitter about the obnoxious amount of screen time Miss Steph recieved during her own short stay.

Well I'm also not surprised that this is the thought running through most Steph supporters mind right now that Brooke is all about sour grapes right now. I still feel though there is some basis to her "exaggeration"...after all Yaxha was trailing by so much...Okay maybe not 30 tries but definitely at least 20...I think...
    Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out. - Brooke Struck on Judd

Love is like the wind...You can't see it, but you can feel it

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki_Brandon
    Okay maybe not 30 tries but definitely at least 20...I think...
    I think that's probably closer. My guess is that the truth lies somewhere between Brookes account (which I do think was probably exaggerated) and how the editing made it look. Maybe 15 or 20 rather than 30.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by user name
    I gotta go with sour grapes as well. Also, if they're trying to edit Steph favorably, they're doing a bad job of it. They certainly would not have shown Jeff's TC question to her. We're all thinking it already, but why bring it to the table like that and let us know just how bad she's done? Even if they want to paint her as the underdog again.

It seemed to me Steph was the reason they had such a big lead to begin with.
    Can someone refresh my memory - what did Jeff say or do at TC which cast a less than glowing light on Steph?

All he really said was that maybe she's bad luck. If there was anything else, I must have missed it.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Newbie
    Well I'm also not surprised that this is the thought running through most Steph supporters mind right now that Brooke is all about sour grapes right now. I still feel though there is some basis to her "exaggeration"...after all Yaxha was trailing by so much...Okay maybe not 30 tries but definitely at least 20...I think...
    I'm not a Steph supporter. I just don't think that Brooke mean't 30 when she said 30. I absolutely believe that Steph took longer than shown, but I find it hard to believe that Probst wouldn't have called her on it had it actually been anywhere near that number. There would be a story in Steph stinking up a challenge wouldn't there? It's not like he soft balled her.

Is it so rediculous to suggest that Brooke might harbour some resentment? Having watched the show she'll have seen very little of herself and an aweful lot of someone who a) has played the game before and b) played a part in her dismissal. I'm just saying... because I wouldn't blame her.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjay
    I'm not a Steph supporter. I just don't think that Brooke mean't 30 when she said 30. I absolutely believe that Steph took longer than shown, but I find it hard to believe that Probst wouldn't have called her on it had it actually been anywhere near that number. There would be a story in Steph stinking up a challenge wouldn't there? It's not like he soft balled her.

Is it so rediculous to suggest that Brooke might harbour some resentment? Having watched the show she'll have seen very little of herself and an aweful lot of someone who a) has played the game before and b) played a part in her dismissal. I'm just saying... because I wouldn't blame her.
    I don't think it was sour grapes. I wondered at the time why Steph (who's always quick to point fingers about how someone didn't perform in a challenge) was strangely quiet about Judd not switching out. For me, that in and of itself reinforces what Brooke said. Steph didn't criticize Judd because she took just as long and refused to switch out as well.

Not to sound harsh, but have any of you ever watched Survivor before? Editing performances at challenges unfairly is nothing new. We are shown characters, and events are depicted in a manner that makes the show entertaining. It's not about presenting a fair summary of what happened; it's about good television. Judd played the bumbling villian in the last episode, and so we were shown his stubborness and refusal to step down from the tomahawk-throwing. Stephenie played a much different character, and so we are led to believe she got her portion of the challenge down quickly and efficiently. This is not the first time that castaways have been edited unfairly, and it will not be the last. Personally, I tend to not be swayed by editing very much anymore. I find myself liking the villians (Jamie) and disliking the heros (Stephenie, Gary). I am completely aware that I am being shown characters, and not real people. No viewer can say that they really understand or know the people on Survivor. What we do is judge characters. Whenever I mention Stephenie on this forum, it's a safe bet to say that I'm not referring to Stephenie LaGrossa; I'm referring to the character she played on T.V. Please don't make the assumption that any of the CBS editors are trying to present a fair depiction of 3 days in each episode. They're presenting a television show, and we must accept it as such. Just be happy we don't have producers convincing contestants to boot certain individuals anymore, alright? (If you don't know what I'm referring to, feel free to ask about the Stacy Stillman fiasco.)

To quote Kelly Wigglesworth, from Borneo:
    "We're really not bad people; we just play them on T.V."

I seem to recall almost everyone that posted in this thread acknowledging the fact that editing plays a huge role in reality tv and always has. No one here is waiting for someone to swoop in and enlighten them that *gasp* the editors create characters from the individuals who appear on these shows. Yes. We know. Seriously.

The question by the original poster was if the editing went farther than it normally does in this one particular instance.

+ Reply to Thread