+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Jeff Probst - Host

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Jeff Probst - Host

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3206225;
    I saw a profile of Jeff on the TV Guide Channel, and it turns out that he and Phil were both up for the job - he got Survivor and Phil got Amazing Race.

The funny thing that he said was that he claimed never to "give anything away" on the show, that he would ask questions of the contestants, and encourage them, but he would never give up information. I was thinking, "Really, Jeff, so you really don't think your leading questions give anything away?" Unless he asks a thousand questions that are edited out, his questions at tribal council are so revealing if only the players are smart enough to figure it out. He even seems to enjoy it and gets that cat-playing-with-a-mouse glint in his eye (a la Heidi Klum) whenever he is asking a player how confident they are, when they think they are safe but are actually minutes away from being voted out.
    The way they edit it it may seem like Jeff is basically giving something away, just to make a Survivor(s) look stupid for making a decision that in the end costs them. If you have the first season on DVD and listen to the commentary for the first episode I believe it was, Probst did say he learned a lot from the season. Hatch was so arrogant during a challenge he and Sue were on the beach discussing who to get rid of. Later that night Jeff brought it up at TC, saying he didn't really realize he was giving away a key game play. When the tribes first merged that season the contestants said Jeff kept hinting around about an alliance, but the Pagong people (and Sean) didn't pick up on it until it was too late. I think Jeff's all about putting people on the spot now and spreading paranoia. I'm really glad they have him hosting the reunion shows now.

Haha imagine Julie Chen hosting Survivor.

Did anyone know that Jeff Probst wrote and directed an indie movie in 2001 called Finder's Fee? I happened to stumble across it while browsing Netflix and decided to rent it since the cast included James Earl Jones and Robert Forster, two actors I really like. It concerned a lottery ticket and a home poker game. The movie was not great, but it was enjoyable watch. Other cast members included Eric Palladino, Ryan Reynolds, and Dash Mihok.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3207015;
    Haha imagine Julie Chen hosting Survivor.
    What a nightmare that would be. She has trouble reading a TelePrompTer on the morning news.

What's the deal with the candy necklace at the end of the reunion show?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I read somewhere that Regis and Kelly gave it to him last week on their show and asked him to wear it on the reunion show. Kind of silly, but harmless.

Edited to add: Just heard that the necklace (autographed by Jeff) is on eBay, and the current bid is over $700.
    Last edited by AZChristian; 05-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.

The necklace and other items from this season are being auctioned to raise money for Jeff's charity, 'The Serpentine Project,' which helps kids transitioning out of foster care.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I wonder, was Jeff a foster child? Of did he adopt one at some point? Thought he wasn't married, don't recall ever hearing he had kids.

He's divorced, but has no children as far as I know, and he's no longer together with Survivor contestant Julie. I haven't seen anything about him being a foster child, but haven't seen anything about his family either.

What I do find interesting is that he's a Cordon Bleu school graduate. Might be fun to watch on a show like Top Chef someday.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I lady that I see at Curves fairly regularly knows Jeff's mother (who lives in Scottsdale, AZ). It doesn't sound like this is a foster mother, but his real mother, with whom he has a good relationship.

+ Reply to Thread