+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Jeff Probst leaving after season 12?

I think Colby would be good too!
    But the original is the original.
    Nobody can replace Probst! Nobody!
    Merry Christmas!

There's a really sweet article about Jeff and Julie in at people.aol.com: http://celebrity.aol.com/people/atao...115479,00.html

One year after going public with his romance with former Survivor contestant Julie Berry, Jeff Probst is still gushing about her.

"I finally met someone who could teach me about love," he tells PEOPLE in its latest issue. "Julie's given me a sense of balance I've never had. It's like fingers interlacing."

Berry, 24, whom Probst, 43, waited to ask out until the game was over (she came in fifth place during season nine, Vanuatu), is equally smitten.

"Everything is a brighter shade," says the former youth mentor from Maine. "We complement each other beautifully."

But what about the nearly 20-year age difference? Not an issue. "You hear people talk about wisdom beyond a person's years, and Julie embodies that," says Probst. "She gets stuff a lot better than I do."

Despite Probst's initial worries about the host/player romance appearing inappropriate, he has the boss's blessing. "Once you have a relationship you care about, the gratefulness comes out," says Survivor creator Mark Burnett. "And Jeff seems really grateful to be with someone he enjoys."

Probst and Berry, who spend most nights at his three-bedroom Hollywood Hills house, are learning Spanish together and have each taken up the didgeridoo a 4-ft.-long Aboriginal wind instrument. Though Berry, who moved from Gorham, Maine, to L.A. in December, has her own apartment, she admits she only uses it to shower and change. "We call it my office," she says.

Despite such domestic bliss, the couple remain mum when the subject of marriage is raised. "Being committed to each other that's the point," says Berry.

It would be the second time down the aisle for Probst, whose five-year marriage to psychotherapist Shelley Wright ended in divorce in 2001.

Now, it's his relationship with Survivor on which he must cast a vote. With his contract up after he tapes the show's 12th edition this fall, Probst is unsure about whether he'll renew.

"There's the inevitable point where you go, 'Do I want to do other things?'" he says. "But like I told someone the other day, I don't want to be the David Caruso of reality TV. I'll never have as good a job as Survivor."

Of course, it doesn't help that he'd now be leaving someone behind while on those far-flung shoots. "I never thought I'd be so happy to see a car in my driveway, knowing she's there," he says.

Berry, now earning her master's degree in marriage and family therapy at California State University, Northridge, hopes to keep it that way. "To me, it's the most important thing to accomplish in life, to fall in love and create a family," she says. "I'm fascinated by it, and now I get to study it and apply it."

Adds Probst with a grin: "And I get to sit with my feet up and reap all the benefits!"
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that Broadway, that was a really sweet article.

Jeff doesn't sound like he's planning to quit before the show goes off the air. Ofcourse this could also mean that Survivor will stop production after S12!! OMG!!!!! Darn it, I'll have to get one of those freaking "life" things if that happens.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

FORT Fogey
    Colby would be my choice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1
    Colby would be my choice too.
    He does have the personality you are right!
    Merry Christmas!

FORT Fogey
    Julie was with him in Guatamala and I assume she will join him on the next one as well. You can take young children along until they are school age so I have a hunch Jeff will sign on for another stint. ` 12 weeks away each year, for two Survivors, seems like too good a job to let go. This show can't last forever. Seems foolish to stop while it is still successful.

As much as I hate to say this, I think the rumors are true. I don't think this is a bargaining tool. According to E! Online's gossip columnist (who is pretty accurate) Probst is a goner and the producers are looking for a FEMALE replacement, possibly a former contestant. Here's the link.

It seems unlikely that they'd already be talking about a replacement if they thought they could convince Jeff to stay. Also, don't forget Jeff comes from a very wealthy family. His father was/is an executive at Boeing and I remember reading an article when Survivor first came out that talked about how Probst senior was worth millions. It's not like Jeff was some starving actor looking for his big break when he landed Survivor. Furthermore, he's already made millions off the show, enough to live comfortably forever. He may truly be burned out and ready for a change.

This whole situation sucks. The only way this could possibly work would be if Burnett got Colby as the new host. I think he's the only one who could pull it off. But hiring a female former contestant? Blech. I can't think of anyone who would do a good job, other than maybe Elisabeth Hasselbeck (who is tied up with The View) or Stephenie, who would probably not be considered since they already brought her back as a special return player.

My fear is Burnett would go the Jenna Morasca (who already hosts Survivor Live) or Jenna Lewis route.
    Last edited by johannaauthor; 10-11-2005 at 01:33 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by johannaauthor
    As much as I hate to say this, I think the rumors are true. I don't think this is a bargaining tool. According to E! Online's gossip columnist (who is pretty accurate) Probst is a goner and the producers are looking for a FEMALE replacement, possibly a former contestant. Here's the link.

It seems unlikely that they'd already be talking about a replacement if they thought they could convince Jeff to stay. Also, don't forget Jeff comes from a very wealthy family. His father was/is an executive at Boeing and I remember reading an article when Survivor first came out that talked about how Probst senior was worth millions. It's not like Jeff was some starving actor looking for his big break when he landed Survivor. Furthermore, he's already made millions off the show, enough to live comfortably forever. He may truly be burned out and ready for a change.

This whole situation sucks. The only way this could possibly work would be if Burnett got Colby as the new host. I think he's the only one who could pull it off. But hiring a female former contestant? Blech. I can't think of anyone who would do a good job, other than maybe Elisabeth Hasselbeck (who is tied up with The View) or Stephenie, who would probably not be considered since they already brought her back as a special return player.

My fear is Burnett would go the Jenna Morasca (who already hosts Survivor Live) or Jenna Lewis route.
    I think any former player would be a little too close to the action. Jeff borders on being a part of the game without actually being a player. A former player would have a hard time knowing exactly how to draw that distinction between being an overseer and narrator and being an ex-player trying to second guess how the game is being played.

FORT Fanatic
    I totally think it's a negociating ploy. What else would he do? It's a great gig.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by johannaauthor

Jenna Lewis I doubt but you may have something with Jenna Morasca. Personally, I'd rather see the show end with Probst vs. getting a new host. I can't stand the thought of it being some new person or a former contestant (egos were inflated on AS, but I can't imagine someone being asked to take over for Probst). I'm trying to picture in my mind how some likely candidates would look sitting in Jeff's spot, and everything I'm picturing it looks like anyone new would just make a mockery of things. Besides, while some contestants have admitted sweating it out in the past at TC because they were afraid of what Jeff was going to bring up or expose, I can't see people having the same "fear" or respect for someone like Colby, Jenna M., Rob C., Rob M., Hatch, etc. If anything, I see the contestants mocking them.

I totally think it's a negociating ploy. What else would he do? It's a great gig.
    But I think that's the point he's making, right now he doesn't want to do anything. I don't think he's leaving Survivor in search of something better, he's just tired in general of working and traveling like Survivor requires. Another thing to point out is Jeff knows more about Survivor's future than any of us, maybe he's just trying to get out while the going's good.

+ Reply to Thread