+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

BOSTON (Reuters) - A federal grand jury on Thursday indicted Richard Hatch, who took home $1 million as the first winner of the CBS hit reality show "Survivor," for tax evasion, bank fraud and other charges.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Providence, Rhode Island, accused Hatch, a motivational speaker, of failing to report the $1 million winnings in 2000 and about $391,000 he earned from half a dozen other sources.

The 10-count indictment follows a grand jury investigation that began in March when Hatch backed out of a deal with prosecutors to plead guilty to two tax evasion charges that carried a maximum 10-year jail sentence and a $500,000 fine.

Hatch, who wandered around naked on the show and was once described by a fellow contestant as a "snake," said he was innocent in March. He was not immediately available for comment following the new list of charges released by prosecutors in Rhode Island.

If convicted on all counts, the 44-year-old Newport, Rhode Island, native would face a maximum fine of $1.35 million and 73 years in prison.

Eight of the charges carry a maximum sentence of five years each in prison, one has a three-year sentence and another bank fraud charge carries a maximum 30-year jail sentence, said Tom Connell, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney in Rhode Island.

A summons was issued for Hatch to appear before a U.S. magistrate for arraignment.

The first "Survivor" became a ratings sensation for CBS and helped spark a boom in reality-based TV shows.

In television and radio interviews aired in March, Hatch's lawyer said CBS should have withheld federal taxes for the game show contestant because the network should have classified him as an employee under California law.

CBS, a unit of Viacom Inc., has said that Hatch alone was responsible for declaring his winnings to the federal government and paying his taxes.
    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...R-HATCH-DC.XML

He's also being charged with failing to report $320,000 paid to him by the radio station WQSX as well as multiple counts of misusing funds intended for Horizon Bound, the charity he founded. Richard may have been a great reality T.V. character, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like this guy very much in real life.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    For a smart guy, he's a real knucklehead. It's as though he thinks he's invincible.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

dang Richard, I just lost all respect for you.

Snoozin' on the beach
    The latest on today's local news:

Accountant Testifies At Hatch Trial

Accountant Says She Warned Hatch Not To File 'Comparison' Return

'Survivor' Accused Of Failing To Pay Taxes On $1 Million Prize

PROVIDENCE -- An accountant for "Survivor" winner Richard Hatch warned the reality TV star not to file a tax return omitting the $1 million prize he won from the hit CBS show, she testified Wednesday during Hatch's federal tax fraud trial.

Hatch, of Newport, is accused of failing to pay taxes on his prize and also using for himself donations made to a charity he created.

Accountant Jodi Rodrigues Wallis said she prepared a 2000 tax return for Hatch that showed he owed the Internal Revenue Service about $234,000. At Hatch's request, Wallis said she prepared a second return calculating how much he would have owed had he not won the prize.

During opening statements, Hatch's lawyer, Michael Minns, said Hatch wanted the return prepared without the prize money for comparison purposes.

The accountant showed Hatch the second return on March 19, 2002, and made him sign a statement warning the analysis was "not meant to be filed," she said. According to prosecutors, Hatch left the accountant's Middletown office that same day and mailed the IRS the incorrect return.

Wallis said she was shocked when she later learned Hatch had filed her second analysis.

On cross-examination, Hatch's lawyer questioned whether Wallis was just trying to protect herself by making Hatch sign the agreement.

Wallis' testimony came a day after accountant Richard Plotkin told jurors that he prepared an income tax return for Hatch in 2000. He said he advised Hatch to pay income tax on his prize, and that Hatch never objected.

Hatch has said he thought CBS was responsible for paying the taxes on his winnings, though CBS has said Hatch was aware he had to pay.

Wallis said she never contacted CBS to find out if the network had paid the taxes on Hatch's prize.
    This guy is unbelievable. Why do you need to compare when you know damn well he had to pay the taxes? He's really screwed himself and he deserves everythnig he going to get.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    How old is that poor adopted kid of his? The one there were the abuse charges about because the kid had gained weight and he was forcing him to exercise or something....
    Hopefully off to college by now.

I'm sorry but he is so arrogant that he deserves the fine and jail time. I'm not sure about that many years but he definately deserves some time. I mean what kind of idiot thinks you can win a million dollar prize and then not pay taxes on it! Idiot!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    How old is that poor adopted kid of his? The one there were the abuse charges about because the kid had gained weight and he was forcing him to exercise or something....
    Hopefully off to college by now.
    Last I heard, Hatch sent him to a boarding school in the midwest after his Survivor fame took off. Given the troubles Hatch has had over the last few years, it's probably for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Last I heard, Hatch sent him to a boarding school in the midwest after his Survivor fame took off. Given the troubles Hatch has had over the last few years, it's probably for the better.
    He was on Dr. Phil with the boy a year or two ago. I don't remember how old he was then though..

Snoozin' on the beach
    As usual Hatch has been arrogant beyond reason for the whole tax thing. He never should have backed out of the original plea deal he signed, which he now denies he ever made. Because he backed out of the original plea, the prosecutor is charging him with all counts and if found guilty, will ask for the maximum jail time and maximum fine for EACH of the 10 fraud count charges. In the deal he would have only face 2 counts of fraud with a max of 5 years total in jail, but they would have recommened less jail time as part of the plea.

Local news had this extra info about the happenings/testimony in court Refunds he recieved and misuse of charity funds the paper didn't report yet.

...During a cross-examination by Hatch's lawyer, Wallis testified she told Hatch not to file the second tax return, warning she could lose her license. She received immunity from prosecutors in return for her testimony.

Wallis told jurors she also prepared Hatch's 2001 tax return, but said he never told her about $320,000 he received for co-hosting a morning radio show in Boston or the more than $10,000 he received for renting his Newport house to college students.

That year, Hatch received a $44,874 refund from the federal government, said IRS Special Agent Jason Rameaka.

Rameaka testified that Hatch used money donated to his charity, Horizon Bound, to pay Downes Construction more than $26,000 for work on his homes in Newport and Middletown.

Hatch also used the charity's bank account to write a series of checks made out to friends as Christmas gifts and to pay for cleaning bills.

The memo line of a $100 check meant for a friend read, "I love you. Thank you for your kindness." Hatch wrote one check payable to "cash" for $1,500 and another payable to himself for $908, Rameaka said.

Hatch drained all but $100 from the charity's bank account, according to the IRS agent.

On Tuesday, accountant Richard Plotkin told jurors that he prepared an income tax return for Hatch in 2000. He said he advised Hatch to pay income tax on his prize, and that Hatch never objected.

Hatch has said he thought CBS was responsible for paying the taxes on his winnings, though CBS has said Hatch was aware he had to pay.

Prosecutors said they plan to finish presenting evidence as early as Thursday. Hatch's lawyer said the reality TV star will testify

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast