Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

Re: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3700398;
    Judge to consider release of 'Survivor' winner Hatch

Judge to consider release of 'Survivor' winner Hatch
    3:45 PM Fri, Sep 11, 2009
    Alan Rosenberg

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- A federal judge in Massachusetts will consider the case of Survivor winner Richard Hatch, who's been in a jail since last month after giving unauthorized TV interviews while serving home confinement.

The American Civil Liberties Union represents the former reality star and said Friday that Judge Nathaniel M. Gorton set a hearing Monday.

Hatch was convicted in Providence in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on his $1 million Survivor winnings. He was serving the home confinement portion of his sentence at his sister's home in Newport.

In TV interviews last month, he said the trial judge discriminated against him because he's gay. The Bureau of Prisons told his lawyer two of those interviews were unauthorized and took him into custody.

The ACLU says Hatch's First Amendment rights were violated.
    A few points:

1. First Amendment is freedom of speech - how does this get involved here? Hatch was under house arrest, meaning he doesn't have all the true freedoms of freedom of speech because he still is in essence a con.

2. If he's under house arrest, he's not supposed to be going about giving speeches in another state. Given that it's says here "The Bureau of Prisons told his lawyer two of those interviews were unauthorized and took him into custody," I would say that he violated house arrest, and therefore lost that priviledge.

Remember - Martha Stewart also got into huge trouble - and an extended sentence, for leaving her property while under house arrest.

3. Now this is the third or so right I have read him claiming that has been "violated": speech, right to not be discriminated against, and right to fair trial. He can't seem to make up his mind here on what to try and use to get the charges dropped.

4. Speaking of yo-yo'ing, anyone noticing now that he's OMITTING that CBS supposedly said that they'd pay the taxes on any appearances he made after winning the show? When he gave that interview, he said that CBS said that they'd pay the taxes on the show as well as the appearances, but even before that he just said the show's prize money.

He can't even keep his story straight.

Rate this is going, Hatch is going to be the model spokesperson for enforcing stricter rules on suing while incarcerated. In this case, if they keep putting in petty suits that yo-yo like this, when they're overturned, the criminal has to pay the expenses and possibly longer jail time for the frivolous lawsuit.

(BTW - I am calling Hatch a criminal because he was found guilty of not paying his taxes... and even if CBS did in fact say that they'd pay the taxes for his silence (which I doubt - even more so given the "Manhunt" controversy a few years back), they wouldn't have promised future appearances because they couldn't control what he said. Well that and no one at the time would know how big of a boom there would be in the reality industry.)

Sometimes I wonder if he looks in the mirror and honestly thinks he can control his real life they way he controlled the game so many years ago. This guy is on his way to multiple torch snuffings.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

For a guy that claims this show wronged him so and sent him to jail I sure as heck don't get why he was so eager to do the AS2-other than the fact that it'd give him face time and it'd force people to interview him, so he could flap his gums some more about the miscarriage of reality TV and producers. I had respect for Hatch once, but not anymore. He needs to just go back and live his life and stay out of the spotlight.

CBS may or may screwed him but Richard it was you who failed to pay taxes on your radio income and properties--take a little responsability
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

I don't feel sorry for him AT ALL! However, I don't understand how he could get in trouble for doing an interview when he was still in his own home??? I could see if he went out of his house to do an interview. I guess it is because they consider his home to be his jail cell and he has to have permission to have visitors?

Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz;3707374;
    However, I don't understand how he could get in trouble for doing an interview when he was still in his own home??? I could see if he went out of his house to do an interview. I guess it is because they consider his home to be his jail cell and he has to have permission to have visitors?
    On August 18, 2009, he was re-arrested and taken into federal custody for granting two supposedly unauthorized interviews (prisoners under house arrest are required to get permission from the federal Bureau of Prisons before any media contact), one with Access Hollywood and another with Rhode Island NBC affiliate WJAR. He had been allowed by the Bureau of Prisons to be interviewed by Today earlier in the day.

Richard Hatch Season 1

I had forgotten about this: :nono

In 2008, Survivor host Jeff Probst mentioned in an interview that Hatch smuggled a canister of matches onto Survivor: All-Stars "in a little container up his bum." The immediate result was that the Mogo Mogo tribe was able to get fire early on in the game. Since this incident all contestants are now strip searched.

Richard Hatch Season 1

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

That IS a joke, right? O.o

I suppose they could use an x-ray machine, like at the airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3709739;
    That IS a joke, right? O.o
    No, thats why its funny

Richard Hatch Season 1

+ Reply to Thread