+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

`Survivor' Hatch on Prison: `Horrendous'

`Survivor' Hatch on Prison: `Horrendous'
    Friday, 16-Mar-2007 11:31AM EDT

Story from AP
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press (via ClariNet)
    Associated Press/AP Online

NEW YORK - Richard Hatch, who won $1 million on "Survivor," says being in prison for failing to pay taxes on his reality TV prize and other income is no day at the beach.

Hatch, who became known as the "naked fat guy" for refusing to wear clothes for much of the CBS show, was convicted last year. He was sentenced to 51 months in prison, and is at the Federal Correctional Institution in Morgantown, W.Va., a minimum security facility.

"Obviously, this is better than the county lockup," Hatch tells People magazine in its March 26 issue. "There's no fence here. But people think I've come to a country club. It's not. This is prison. Just because it's got a beautiful view of the countryside doesn't make it a resort. And it's horrendous because I'm an innocent man in jail."

Following his conviction, Hatch says he spent "six horrendous months" at the Plymouth County Correctional Facility in Plymouth, Mass.

"We were all in a small room - 52 people: child molesters, murderers, rapists and me," he recalls. "For six months I never left that room. There were no doors, no privacy. There were two TVs in that room, so I lived all day long with `Jerry Springer' blaring."

His lawyer, Michael Minns, has said Hatch deserves a new trial because a judge improperly kept him from testifying about claims of cheating on the show.

CBS, a division of CBS Corp., has said Hatch's claims have no merit.

"I don't apologize for anything," says Hatch, who said he is looking forward to returning to his home and family in Rhode Island. "I didn't do anything wrong."

Hatch says he is "working on a book that I should have no trouble getting published. It begins with my auditioning for `Survivor' and will end with my time in prison."

FORT Fogey
    Whether this is true or not... if this guy has to go to prison for 75 years... I think thats over doing it. That's a life time... all for money. Lifetime should be for murderers... yet they get off before their due date all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    Hatch, who became known as the "naked fat guy" for refusing to wear clothes for much of the CBS show, was convicted last year. He was sentenced to 51 months in prison, and is at the Federal Correctional Institution in Morgantown, W.Va., a minimum security facility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2283158;
    Whether this is true or not... if this guy has to go to prison for 75 years... I think thats over doing it. That's a life time... all for money. Lifetime should be for murderers... yet they get off before their due date all the time.
    Julian, what is this 75 years you're talking about? I only see the 51 month sentence.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I've always thought Hatch was full of crap so I can't feel sorry for him. I can believe that the producers may have been "cheating" a bit, and a lot of allegations did come out about Survivor not being as real as they try to make it, but I've never believed that they agreed to pay his taxes. I wonder if Hatch gets a new trial and is allowed to state his claims if the judge will bring up that little contract he had to sign which prevented him from talking about the show.

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2283376;
    ...is allowed to state his claims if the judge will bring up that little contract he had to sign which prevented him from talking about the show.
    Courts-of-law always seem to place high importance on wanting to know everything about every story. Non-disclosure agreements don't scare judges...
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2283376;
    I've always thought Hatch was full of crap so I can't feel sorry for him. I can believe that the producers may have been "cheating" a bit, and a lot of allegations did come out about Survivor not being as real as they try to make it, but I've never believed that they agreed to pay his taxes. I wonder if Hatch gets a new trial and is allowed to state his claims if the judge will bring up that little contract he had to sign which prevented him from talking about the show.
    I'd like to point out in the load of BS Hatch is laughingly trying to sell, that even if there was cheating on Survivor-that has nothing to do with the other $300,000+ he didn't pay taxes on from Radio talk show host income. He was convicted on more than just not paying his survior winning taxes. He's putting on a very poor magicians act, get the focus on Survivor and maybe no one will notice that he didn't pay taxes on non Survivor income as well. Hasn't this blathering asshat had enough? Some people just don't know when to quit. His efforts are so transparent, no one is going to fall for his Brooklyn Bridge for Sale Shtick no matter how many times he tries it. He's too narssistic to realize he is not going to beat the rap no matter how outrageous his BS is
    Last edited by Shady64; 03-16-2007 at 07:13 PM.

I'll still buy his book though.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by emjoi;2283697;
    I'll still buy his book though.
    That would make you a fan of Fantasy fiction

Re: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

I probably shouldn't add to his 15 minutes, but here is the latest on Richard Hatch.

Survivor's Richard Hatch Enters Halfway Home - E! Online

Survivor's Richard Hatch Enters Halfway Home

Today 6:57 AM PDT by Gina Serpe

The prison system has spoken: Richard Hatch has survived his time behind bars.

The original Survivor winner was transferred from federal prison in West Virginia Monday to a halfway house in Pennsylvania, where he will be held for the next five months.

Back in 2006, the 47-year-old Hatch was sentenced to serve four years and three months behind bars for federal income tax evasion after failing to cut Uncle Sam in on a share of his $1 million reality prize. He has been in prison since July of the same year.

Carla Wilson, the spokeswoman for the Northeast Regional Office of the Bureau of Prisons, said that Hatch, who has long maintained his innocence in the matter and claimed CBS producers told him they would pay his taxes on the winnings, will be released from his halfway home on Oct. 7, at which time he will be placed on supervised release.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

I wonder what happened to his adopted son....he didn't have a partner...hopefully relatives took him in? He must be nearly an adult by now.

+ Reply to Thread