+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

FORT Fogey
    well at least he might meet prince charming there.

i still feel bad for him though

FORT Fogey
    Give me a break!

yeah, he was stupid not to pay taxes but 4 years in jail? Yeah, right.

We have thousabds of criminals who get lesser centences for much more serious staff. Unfortunately.

I just happened to see this on Yahoo news:

Survivor Richard Hatch sent to prison

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Richard Hatch has been sent to a federal prison in Oklahoma as he serves a 51-month sentence for failing to pay taxes on the $1 million he won on the debut season of "Survivor."

Hatch, 45, of Newport, arrived last week at the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City. It wasn't immediately clear why Hatch was moved or whether he will serve out his prison sentence at the facility, which is a hub for prisoners transferring through the federal system.

A federal jury convicted Hatch in January of failing to pay taxes on the "Survivor" prize and other income. He was sentenced in May to 51 months in prison by a judge who said the reality TV star had lied repeatedly on the witness stand.

Hatch had previously been held at the Plymouth County Correctional Facility in Massachusetts.

He would prefer to serve his sentence near family in Rhode Island or in Florida, said his lawyer, Michael Minns.

"He should be in a camp," Minns said. "The camps are the most comfortable of the uncomfortable. They are still jails, but they get to see the sky and be outside. It's bad for Richard, who is an outdoor person."

Hatch became known on the CBS show as the "fat naked guy" for refusing to wear clothes.
    Link.

I'm sure he wishes he was voted off that island.
    Viewers may recall Rich's prediction on Day 1 on the island: "I've got the million-dollar check written in my name."
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...13/story.shtml
    Maybe you should have added "& The IRS" on that pay to the order of line on that check.

Hyuk Hyuk...can't say I am surprised...
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Now he's saying the producers were the ones sneaking the food in.

'Survivor' winner appeals convictions
    By ERIC TUCKER
    Associated Press Writer
    PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- "Survivor" winner Richard Hatch, who is serving more than four years in prison for failing to pay taxes on his $1 million prize, appealed his convictions Thursday.

In the appeal, filed in 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, Hatch contends the judge prevented him from arguing that the show's producers struck a deal with him to pay his taxes if he won.

Hatch, of Newport, maintains the deal was struck after he caught the producers cheating - smuggling food to other contestants during taping of the debut season of the CBS reality TV show.

The evidence would have explained why Hatch believed the taxes had already been paid and would have shown that he did not willfully break the law, according to the appeal.

CBS spokesman Chris Ender said Thursday that Hatch's claim had no merit.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office said the government would file a reply brief in the coming weeks.

Hatch was convicted last January of failing to pay taxes on his "Survivor" prize and other income. The appeal seeks to have all the convictions overturned.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

As crazy as his explanation sounds, I wouldnt be surprised to find out they sneak food to the players. In Hatch's case, it would explain why he simply didnt pay those taxes and seemed so sure he didnt have to.

He's a smart guy. You can't be so sure of anything like that without it in writing, or at least written proof that it was taken care of. At a minimum, for your records in case you are audited.

It never ceases to amaze me the excuses people think up to get/stay out of jail.
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 12-08-2006 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Changed smilie

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Uh...okay. Now that that issue is brought up, I do remember hearing back during the early Survivor days (around the height of Stacey Stillman's lawsuit-I wonder if she ever got anywhere with that?) that there was talk the producers were sneaking food into the contestants and planting food for them to find in the jungle and in their traps. But saying you'd be willing to pay the taxes off a million dollar jackpot for that? Hatch gives himself too much credit. When it came to Survivor he always fancied himself the greatest thing since sliced bread to happen to it. He must be in that delusional state where he can't remember that this is real life, not the game, and most people won't believe what he says (or don't care ). I don't doubt his claims of the producers sneaking food in, but I do doubt that they ever offered to pay off his taxes.

+ Reply to Thread