+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

Didn't pay taxes on his winnings? I always assumed the taxes were deducted PRIOR to the $$ being doled out?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

http://ww2.wpri.com/Global/story.asp?S=4756062

First 'Survivor' winner remains in solitary lockup

PROVIDENCE, R.I. The first "Survivor" winner will have to survive solitary jail time.

Richard Hatch is being held in protective custody away from other inmates while he waits for his sentencing on tax evasion charges.

Hatch won a (m) million dollars in the debut season of the C-B-S reality show. He was convicted in January for failing to pay taxes on those winnings. And he went right from the courtroom to jail because the Rhode Island judge considered Hatch a flight risk.

An official with the U-S Marshal's service says a solitary lockup is the "safest and most secure" option because Hatch is a celebrity.

Leo
    Premium Member
    He's been sentenced to four years in jail:

http://www.wbir.com/news/national/st...?storyid=34356

"Survivor" winner Richard Hatch gets 51 months in prison for tax evasion

Richard Hatch has been sentenced to more than four years in prison for not paying taxes on the (M) million dollars he won on "Survivor" and other income.

Hatch could've gotten 13 years in prison.

His sentence comes six years after he became the first "Survivor" winner.

He had said he thought the show's producers would pay his taxes. He also said he forgot to tell his accountants about some other income.

The judge in Providence, Rhode Island, says he imposed a tougher-than-expected sentence because it's "very clear" Hatch lied repeatedly through his trial.

Wow. I'm kind of shocked to think about Hatch spending 4 long years in the slammer, but on the other hand, it could have been much longer.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    He had said he thought the show's producers would pay his taxes. He also said he forgot to tell his accountants about some other income.
    That part still gets me. How do you just forget about all the money you're making?

Snoozin' on the beach
    In addition he has 3 years of supervised realease once his prison term is over. Which means no running out of the country like he planned to do. They haven't said yet what kind of fines he's getting-in addition to the original taxes he still owes plus 5 years of penalties.

What a complete idiot he is. The deal he backed out of would have been 1-3 years jail max and most likely would have only been 1 year. His prison time exceeds the guidelines which where 33-41 months. he totally deserves it. I hope they sock him with so much fines, taxes and penalties, the guy goes broke. He's been moving his assets and money out of the country before this trial even started. Watch him try and claim he doesn't have it anymore and get more jail time for it

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    That part still gets me. How do you just forget about all the money you're making?
    No wonder the judge was so pissed at his lying. He said he forgot, then he had 2 accountants tell him he had to claim it and the last account he requested she make a return without listing the $1 mil from Survivor "just to compare" and that's the one he sent to the IRS.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Wow. I'm kind of shocked to think about Hatch spending 4 long years in the slammer, but on the other hand, it could have been much longer.
    I'm not shocked -- I'm ecstatic!!! I hope the pompous ba$tard learns some lessons in there.

FORT Fogey
    I would think, if there was an agreement for someone else to pay his taxes, he'd have a written agreement and after completing his tax returns, he'd say, "okay, here's what you need to pay, make the check payable to the IRS for me and hand it over."

Oh, and I "forgot" to claim the $20 my nephew gave me for delivering his newspapers when he was on vacation. Now let's see, that was 6 years ago, so with penalty and interest....

Snoozin' on the beach
    It wasn't just the taxes on his Surivior winnings either. It was taxes on $350, 000 he earned as a radio host plus unreported income from renting. He couldn't even stick to one excuse. There were at least 4 different reasons for it and then he let rumors leak that he caught contestants cheating and CBS said they'd pay the taxes to keep it quiet. This coming weeks after MB testified and showed signed documents by Hatch that he is responsible for the taxes. Of course he never brought that theory up when on the stand-he was hoping to cast doubt. He gave no excuse why he didn't pay taxes on the money made from his radio host gig. His entire defense was assinine and so is he

+ Reply to Thread