+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's with this group? (Guatemala) **possible SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    *wonders if they did that deliberately to "weed out" certain people*
    It's no secret that you do need some financial stability to be on Survivor. If you can't blow $20 to audition, you're going to have trouble being away from work for 40-some days if you only earn a couple grand for being the first out.

One of the things that I liked a lot about Survivor is that unlike a lot of reality shows (ANTM and AR not included, as they ARE diverse) they actually tried to get people from different backgrounds, ages and ethnicities. Some of us actually LIKE seeing that. Now that it looks like the whole show has been modelized and whitewashed I'm simply not interested, and I'm really annoyed because the whole Guatemala premise seemed exciting. What's the oldest person on here, 39?

edit: Oh wow, they actually DO have older people casted! One's in his 40s and one's in his 60s. OMG YAY -_-
    You're right, it has become the case in Survivor to cast the same kinds of young models. We'd all love to see a cast like season 2 had. But I actually think this season might have the best cast we've had in a while. Sure, they're all white. But do we really need people like Ibrehem on our screen just to fill the roll of token black guy? I think this cast may be the most interesting one we've had in a while. Even the models seem like they will be fun to watch (Blake, and all his cockiness). I have high hopes for this cast, despite first appearances. I think some of you might be pleasantly surprised with the way this season turns out.

Kao
    I wouldn't say we need someone like Ibreham, who was boring. But there are other people who are white and boring/lazy/annoying on the show, why pick out one race? And it's not just Blacks, either. I don't see any Latinos or Asians either (I'm not even going to mention Native Americans, seeing as they had only one on the entire time that Survivor has existed). It's an issue of preference. There's a reason why I don't watch shows like The Bachelor, Friends, etc; it's because lack of diversity really doesn't interest me. Just like you stated earlier that you feel that the Blacks that they have had on this show really aren't interesting, I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of white modely types prance around. It wouldn't be so bad if they were different ages, types, hell, looked different, but except for 2 of them (the older guys, who I would root for) they all seem to be cut from the same cookie-cutter, I-wanna-be-a-model Ambercrombie mold. Yawn.

Just like you stated earlier that you feel that the Blacks that they have had on this show really aren't interesting, I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of white modely types prance around.
    Oh, I'm not saying that black contestants have had a history of not being interesting; Gervase, Clarence, Sean R, Tijuana, and Rory were all great to watch. To me, I could care less whether someone is black or white or Latino or Asian. If they're interesting, that's all that matters. I have a feeling that this may be a good cast because it seems to me that all of them will prove to be interesting to watch. But hey, if Friends is boring to you because the characters are similar, then I doubt you'll have the same feelings about this cast that I do.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    *crying* Where is all the male eye candy?? OMG, I am so sad!

Well the ages are a little better than at first glace. I just hope that they are not picked off early and fast. I would like to see some more intellectual challenges that favour the experience and age of some of these interesting people.
    I am looking forward to it.
    Is probably over in the transcribing thread for Big Brother til death do us part.

"I don't trust that girl with a ten foot pole." - Annie
    Whhhhaaaaat? LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    *crying* Where is all the male eye candy?? OMG, I am so sad!

Me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG
    What I noticed when I went to cbs site and read their bios is that at least 3 of them have twins. Important? Probably not. Just an observation.
    Last night's commercial said that there was not one twist, but TWO! Could the twins have anyting to do with that?

They had "try outs" in a local mall in Kansas. The local news station helped with audition tapes. Guess that is why 2 from Kansas...but who knows
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by cable101
    Oh, I'm not saying that black contestants have had a history of not being interesting; Gervase, Clarence, Sean R, Tijuana, and Rory were all great to watch. To me, I could care less whether someone is black or white or Latino or Asian. If they're interesting, that's all that matters. I have a feeling that this may be a good cast because it seems to me that all of them will prove to be interesting to watch. But hey, if Friends is boring to you because the characters are similar, then I doubt you'll have the same feelings about this cast that I do.
    I think the producers ALWAYS go for people they think will be interesting, but you never know until they all get together on the island/jungle/desert and actually interact. I seem to remember Stephanie from Thailand was supposed to be this crazy free spirited girl who wound up just sitting around griping all day in the show.

The lack of racial diversity does bother me, just because there ARE plenty of interesting mixed race, black, Indian, Vietnamese, Native American, Dominican, whatever people, just as there are boring and interesting white people (as though it breaks down that easily). People shouldn't just be cast as tokens, but I do think racial diversity tends to carry with it cultural baggage that has been interesting to watch in the past in many cases, like the reactions of Shii Ann's tribemates to her eating parts of the chicken they wouldn't.

Sean (Marquesas) really p***sed me off, though- when he said he felt like he was in "Roots" with massah watching over him just because his tribemates asked him to pitch in and help around camp at least half as much as they were. I WISH someone would have called him on trivializing slavery like that.

Sorry I got so off topic-- but I think Survivor works best when it's a real cross-section of American society as a whole, with young and old, conservative and liberal, "white" and "other", rich and poor- and see what happens.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I could give a crap on who they cast just so long as the show is interesting and holds my attention.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast