+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Guatemala to begin shooting June 27th

Survivor: Guatemala to begin shooting June 27th

According to this article (translated from Spanish), Survivor: Guatemala, the Mayan Empire will air from June 27th to mid-August. It's a bit difficult to read in some spots, as the translation isn't great, but you can get the general idea.

Link: http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2005/junio/18/116860.html

Tourism: The country exposed to the world
    Archaeological park will be scene to film reality show
    By: Byron Dardon

After several weeks to sharpen details, finally the contract of "inter-institutional collaboration" was reached yesterday between the company Mundo Antiguo S.A., the Ministry of Culture and Sport, the National Commission of Protected Areas (Conap) and the Inguat for the shooting of the live program Survivor: Guatemala, the Mayan Empire.

Willi Kalschmitt, presidential commissioner for the Tourism, informed yesterday that the shooting of edition 11 of the reality Survivor show will initiate on the 27th of June and will conclude in the middle of August.

The filming of the program of the American television network CBS will be carried out in the Natural reserve Yaxha, Naranjo, one of the archaeological parks in Petan. [It is] considered a historical and cultural jewel, as well as a place of unmatched natural beauty.

In this reality show, in addition to the 18 contestants, there will be between 150 and 200 film crew.

Millionaire Hearing

Kalschmitt commented that the shooting of the show will be of great benefit to the country because the program is viewed by more than 200 million people worldwide.

Daniel Martin, director of the Inguat, explains that the program will demonstrate that Guatemala will experience great tourism growth.

Carlos Albacete, representative of the Green Tropical ONG, thought that the program would have a minimum impact in the media if the recommendations of organizations like Conap are followed.

Efraan Asij, president of the Commission of Tourism of the Congress, indicated that this type of program is beneficial because in addition to being educational, it markets the country in a way in which the State nor the Government have the capacity to promote it.

Millionaire Investment

According to one recent publication of the regional magazine America Economy, the investment to promote the Survivor program is a million-dollar investment in the countries that until now have been favored.

According to the magazine, the chosen countries expose their landscapes on American television in one hour weekly installments throughout the 16 weeks of programming.

In agreement with the publication, the multimillion dollar investment that implies to be chosen, is considered when multiplying the cost of an announcement of 30 second commercials that cost USS400 thousand.

When the series was made in Australia, some analysis valued the promotion in USS11 billion.

The Business of Survivor

The CBS reality show will provide a viewing audience to Guatemala of more than 200 million people worldwide.

The competition takes place in exotic places, where the participants have tests and challenges.

Survivor has been filmed in Borneo, Marquesas, Australia, Africa, Thailand, Amazon, Pearl Islands, Vanuatu and Palau.

The mechanics of the show consists of which the participants advance with forms gain their tests and receive the support of the other equipment.

The winner of Survivor takes USS1 million.
    Last edited by Leo; 06-27-2005 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Added link to article.

Willi Kalschmitt, presidential commissioner for the Tourism, informed yesterday that the shooting of edition 11 of the reality Survivor show will initiate on the 27th of June and will conclude in the middle of August.
    Did you confuse shooting vs. airing?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

No I think it is shooting probably, because it's not airing until September. Its gonna start shooting at that time.

It's shooting a bit later than usual isn't it? Doesn't give them much time to edit.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Did you confuse shooting vs. airing?
    Not only did I forget to include the link to the original article, I typed "air" when I meant "shoot." The article is a confirmation that the season will begin shooting on the 27th (today), not airing. I can't edit my post now, so I suppose it's stuck as it is?
    Also, this means that the final tribal council will take place on the 4th of August, with the Survivors returning to the states a few days later.

@Qboots: It's not really shooting late at all. Vanuatu was filmed from June 28th to August 5th. I don't know about seasons prior to that, but if it is shot during the same period of time that Vanuatu was shot, then they shouldn't have any extra time restraints on editing.
    Last edited by cable101; 06-27-2005 at 07:44 PM.

"Woooo.. shut up!" dustparticle05's Avatar
    I know that Survivor: The Australian Outback was filmed later in the year, sometime around September/October/November. When Colby's mom spent a day with the Final 4 she told them that the Yankee's won the World Series, and that always takes place in the beginning-middle of October.

About this season's taping.. I'm wondering if anyone's going to try to sneak in and find the location this time. Wasn't there a group that has tried to do this for every Survivor so far, or am I just imagining things and dreampt that a long time ago?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Actually, the specific location in Guatemala has been has been leaked out already. Yes, there is a group (Survivor Maps) that has done this for every Survivor. They have a pretty good track record as far as I know.

I believe that the location of this season was first identified on April 19th, when there was a bit of a controversy over who had the right to approve or disprove Survivor's filming in Yaxha. This was weeks before the location was revealed as Guatemala at the Survivor 10 finale. As Leo said, we often know the exact location of filming before the official announcement about the season is made.

Hurricane Emily is headed at the Yucatan. I'm wondering if the southern fringe of the storm will affect the Survivors in Guatemala.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/07/1...her/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    Hurricane Emily is headed at the Yucatan. I'm wondering if the southern fringe of the storm will affect the Survivors in Guatemala.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/07/1...her/index.html
    It's very possible; who knows how bad it could get there if it does hit Yaxha? From what I've heard, it's rained almost every day on location, and the crew is absolutely hating the conditions. If they're hating it, I can't imagine how badly the Survivors must be hating their stay right about now. Looks like we'll be seeing a very wet season of Survivor come August.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast