+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Quitter Halts Show

Survivor Quitter Halts Show

April 25, 2005 -- THE surprise ending to last week's "Survivor: Palau" when Janu Tornell suddenly quit the competition caught the show's producers by surprise too.

She brought the show taping to a halt when she asked to leave and started a wrangle that viewers never saw.

Janu, 39, became the fourth person in "Survivor" history to quit the competition, but she'll still help decide the winner of the $1 million prize as a member of the nine-person jury a heated issue the tribal council cameras didn't capture.

"It wasn't to save Stephenie [LaGrossa] in the game," Tornell told the AP. "It ended up like that. At the same time, it was almost like a power play because I threw a wrench into their game."

The former Las Vegas showgirl said host Jeff Probst didn't coerce her into departing "Survivor," although it may have seemed otherwise.

Viewers didn't see Tornell's concern about whether she would be on the jury if she quit the show.

After going back and forth for several hours, Tornell said Probst asked for a break in the filming.

"The cameras stopped," said Tornell. "Tribal council got really heated. You guys didn't even get any part of that. [Probst] goes, 'This is off the record. What's going on, Janu? What are you worried about?'

"And I said, 'Basically, I don't want to lose my place in the jury. I don't know where this takes me.' "

Tornell said Probst left the tribal council area and consulted with producers. (The three players who quit "Survivor" in previous seasons departed before juries were formed.)

Probst returned and assured Tornell that she wouldn't forfeit her place on the jury by quitting.

The cameras started back up, and Tornell did just that.

"I laid down my torch. No regrets whatsoever," she said.

Post wire services
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/45254.htm

Thanks for the info. I bet she would not have quit without knowing she was secure on the jury (so glad she quit though)
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

where's my rose garden? Covaleskie's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the article. I'm glad to hear that Jeff didn't cross as many lines as the editing made it seem.

No wonder Jeff made the comment at the end of Vanautu (sp?) about not applying if you're just going to quit. It's becoming an epidemic in these last few seasons.

Osten had no idea he was a trend-setter.
    There's always one in every bunch.

Stop the show - I wanna get off.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

Well, there you go. Janu quit, and wasn't coherced by Jeff. That's good to know because the editing made it seem like Jeff did push her to quit.

Geez...so much drama just to quit. Why is it so important to her to still be part of the jury?

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Geez...so much drama just to quit. Why is it so important to her to still be part of the jury?
    Maybe she wanted to be sure she had some power or influence over the final survivor? She seemed pretty annoyed with a lot of her tribemates.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Well, there you go. Janu quit, and wasn't coherced by Jeff. That's good to know because the editing made it seem like Jeff did push her to quit.

I agree, the added info puts Jeff's actions in a new light. I think it was all kosher now.

I also wonder about the jury thing. Janu was a weird one.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Janu was a weird one.

WAS!?!?! WAS?!?!?! that lady is more confused than someone in a round room trying to go sit in the corner!!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Ili.
    If Janu wanted to have power over the final survivors, then she's a total loser. To go on survivor and be satisfied to be on the jury is something I will never understand.
    anyway, Janu must be really resentful towards the others if she just 'had' to make sure she was on the jury.

From what she said afterwards -- that choosing to take herself out was a power play on her part (although I'm not saying that makes sense; after all, any such move certainly doesn't work to her benefit, unless she just wants revenge) -- I DO think that's why she wanted to be on the jury. Revenge and resentment. She's definitely an odd duck.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast