+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

FORT Regular
    The whole Jeff went too far thing is kind of ridiculous. The ultimate decision is the players to make. These are grown adults not two year olds. Jeff cant force anyone to do anything. Nothing wrong with stirring the pot. In fact it makes for better tribal councils the more Jeff does it.

The decision was not the players. The majority of the Survivors would have voted Stephenie out and she would have been gone. Janu ultimately decided to quit, but Jeff had to put her on the hot seat.

I'd be furious if I were Gregg. In a way, I think Tom and Ian were reluctant to vote her out, so maybe in a sense they're off the hook. Ultimately, Jeff manipulated the events to get Janu out. I wouldn't say he did it to spare Stephenie as much as he did it to get rid of someone that didn't want to be there. Jeff hates quitters.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Newbie
    I do not think Jeff influenced janu as much as people say he did. His role is gadfly- to ask the tough questions. i heard his role once described as a representative of the audience- asking all the questions we would want asked. Janu stood up for herself several times this episode- she did not have her heart in the game but she is no pushover. If she had wanted to stay she could simply have told jeff that she would prefer to be voted out. Jeff asked the question that came naturally, the question that was on everyones minds. Janu made the choice to answer it- he did not twisst her arm, did not convince her to leave. she wanted out because her heart was not in it. that is why she quit. pure and simple.
    that and i think she thought it would screw up her tribes plans- she did call it a power play in her closing comments. if anything her tribe influenced her to leave more then jeff. they brought it on themselves if it screwed up their plans. they will just have to be flexible.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
    I love Stephanie and I think she is probably one of the top 5 alltime players; however, she should be gone. For those who think that she deserves to win, I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one deserves a million dollars for playing a game, even one as grueling as Survivor!!
    I don't think anyone is saying she deserves a million dollars. Please, people have gone through far FAR worse for far FAR less. But this being a game and since we know that one of these people *will* win a million dollars, it would be nice if that person is the most deserving of the bunch!

I found an article that you guys may find interesting. Apparently, Janu wanted to quit, but didn't want to lose her place on the jury...

Tornell Quits 'Survivor'; Still on Jury
    By DERRIK J. LANG, Associated Press Writer

27 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Quitters never win, but if they make it far enough on "Survivor," they get to be on the jury. Janu Tornell, 39, became the fourth person in "Survivor" history to quit the competition, but she'll still help decide the winner of the $1 million prize as a member of the nine-person jury - a heated issue the tribal council cameras didn't capture.

"It wasn't to save Stephenie (LaGrossa) in the game," Tornell told The Associated Press Friday. "It ended up like that. At the same time, it was almost like a power play because I threw a wrench into their game."

The former Las Vegas showgirl said host Jeff Probst didn't coerce her into departing "Survivor: Palau," although it may have seemed otherwise.

"He aided me," said Tornell. "I was at the point where I thought, `I want to go, but I don't want to jeopardize being part of the jury.' I was still battling with `quitter.' I hate that word. But I did it. I laid down my torch. No regrets whatsoever."

Viewers didn't see Tornell's concern about whether she would be on the jury if she quit the CBS reality show. After going back and forth for several hours, Tornell said Probst asked for a break in the filming.

"The cameras stopped," said Tornell. "Tribal council got really heated. You guys didn't even get any part of that. (Probst) goes, `This is off the record. What's going on, Janu? What are you worried about?' And I said, `Basically, I don't want to lose my place in the jury. I don't know where this takes me."

Tornell said Probst left the tribal council area and consulted with producers. (The three players who quit "Survivor" in previous seasons departed before juries were formed.)

"It was all a new drama situation for everybody involved," said Tornell.

Probst returned and assured Tornell that she wouldn't forfeit her place on the jury by quitting. The cameras started back up, and Tornell did just that.

Now, as a jury member, she'll be on the lookout for the player "who I thought played the game the best."
    http://www.comcast.net/entertainment...22/114929.html
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    That article spreads a little light on it, but there's still something about how TC went down that I don't like. I find it hard to believe the producers wouldn't want to show something like that (I'm not saying it didn't happen like that). I also don't think Janu would come right out and say Jeff forced her to leave. No one denies she wanted to quit, but I think Jeff jumped at the opportunity to get rid of her (as we've said, Jeff hates quitters so why keep someone around who isn't happy and will probably quit eventually anyway). And for the record, since she did quit, I don't think she deserves a jury spot.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    That article spreads a little light on it, but there's still something about how TC went down that I don't like. I find it hard to believe the producers wouldn't want to show something like that (I'm not saying it didn't happen like that). I also don't think Janu would come right out and say Jeff forced her to leave. No one denies she wanted to quit, but I think Jeff jumped at the opportunity to get rid of her (as we've said, Jeff hates quitters so why keep someone around who isn't happy and will probably quit eventually anyway). And for the record, since she did quit, I don't think she deserves a jury spot.
    But if she doesn't have one, who does? BJ? You can't have an even number of jurors....

I don't think they could bring back BJ, since he had missed several weeks of the action. And how could he vote when he hadn't even lived with the Kororians for one night? (Aside from the first night) I think the only option was to let her be on the jury.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    If my math is correct, in Survivor time, Bobby Jon missed 6 days of the game. I know they can't have an even number of jurors, so how about Willard? He was on Koror (I'm kidding). I just think when you quit, you should forfeit any thing in the game. Probst hated Osten for quitting, and am sure he would have hated having him on the jury, so would have found a way around it. And not to get off topic here, but if a Survivor quits like Osten did, do they also lose any prize money they would have received?

Karalott, I'm certainly no expert, but I doubt there is any $$$ penalty for the quitters. Personally, I'm surprised more people didn't quit in the earlier seasons due to the harsh nature of the game itself and you gotta figure the producers figured some would quit at some point. But then when Osten was the first to officially quit in Pearl Islands, they had so many seasons by then that they probably no longer expected any quitters.
    I mean, this is a "reality game show" and that would have to include people quitting, as would happen in real life, so I dont see how they could withhold money from contestants. Maybe to avoid quitters or people asking to be voted out, they shouldnt offer any cash prize to anyone but the final 4 or last remaining contestant. Just my opinion though.

+ Reply to Thread