I've been reading the discussion about where Ulong went wrong and I went back to the beginning and looked at the pick'em game and laid the initial mistake on Jeff's shoulders. When I was figuring that out I noticed the Tom/Ian/Stephanie/Katie alliance was visible in the initial Koror picks when Ian picked Katie and Katie picked Tom who would have picked Steph except she was already on Ulong. It got me thinking, what would have happened if Ian had picked Steph first. As I'm a big fan of the butterfly effect and since I have a bunch of time on my hands I decided to sit down and figure out what would have happened if that one little change was made
What if, Ian had picked Stephenie?
The Show That Wasn't.
- (U) Jolanda picks Bobby Jon.
- (K) Stephanie picks Tom.
- (U) Bobby Jon picks Jennifer, with Stephenie already picked for Koror I don't see him picking Katie, Janu, Caryn, Angie or Wanda. His choice would be between Jennifer, Kim and Ashley. I don't really have a strong basis for this choice (I should have kept copies of the show -- damn my limited HD space) but I had to make a choice.
- (K) Tom completes the Tom/Ian/Katie/Stephenie alliance by selecting Katie.
- (U) Jennifer picked Coby in the real game but in this version her snuggle bunny is still on the loose so she picks him (Gregg).
- (K) Katie picks Jeff from the remaining guys based on his looks and physical prowess for the challenges.
- (U) Gregg picks Ashlee for her store bought talents.
- (K) Jeff picks the same person he picked in reality, Kim.
- (U) Ashley follows reality as well and picks Ibrehem.
- (K) Kim also repeats reality and picks James
- (U) Ibrehem picks Janu over Caryn, Angie and Wanda.
- (K) James picks Caryn.
- (U) Janu picks Jonathan, I just don't see her picking Coby or Willard.
- (K) Caryn picks Coby leaving Willard the odd man out.
- (U) Jonathan picks Angie sending Wanda home with Willard.
So the two tribes are:
- Ulong: Jolanda, Bobby Jon, Jennifer, Gregg, Ashlee, Ibrehem, Janu, Jonathan and Angie
Reward/Immunity Challenge: Obstacle course
The outcome of the obstacle course is unchanged, Jolanda's desire to get everything still slows Ulong down and the inclusion of Gregg and Jennifer doesn't improve their rowing enough to overcome Koror's lead.
At Tribal Council Ulong still votes out Jolanda for being pushy.
Reward Challenge: Balance beam and Swinging sand bags
Without Willard, Koror sits out Katie and without Katie tying up the swing the challenge is much closer but Ulong still pulls out the win thanks to Angie's unexpected prowess.
Immunity Challenge: Underwater rope pull and Morse decoding
Without Willard there to help Koror cheat, Ulong is able to leverage the strength of Bobby Jon, Gregg and Jonathan to pull ahead of Koror enough to complete decoding the message first.
Koror heads to tribal council and the TIKS alliance pulls in support from Jeff and Kim and votes out James.
Reward Challenge: Donut Dunking
Angie drowns enough Kororites to win reward for Ulong.
Immunity Challenge: Sack Race
Jeff's twisted ankle takes him out of the game early but even with Bobby Jon, Gregg and Jonathan Ulong can't outlast the Tom, Ian, Steph juggernaut.
Ulong heads to Tribal council and votes out a whimpering Janu.
Reward Challenge: Crapper Construction
Without James' construction knowledge Ulong's Outhouse is even worse than in reality. Koror wins reward and the Club Med accommodations.
Immunity Challenge: Sumo Slam
Koror sits out Katie and we get the following match ups (winner listed first).
- Steph vs. Jennifer (K:2, U:0)
- Ian vs. Ibrehem (K:3, U:0)
- Ashlee vs. Kim (K:3, U:1)
- Gregg vs. Jeff (K:3, U:2)
- Angie vs. Caryn (K:3, U:3)
- Jonathan vs. Coby (K:3, U:4)
- Tom vs. Bobby Jon (K:4, U:4)
- Steph vs. Jennifer (K:5, U:4)
- Ibrehem vs. Ian (K:5, U:5)
- Ashlee vs. Kim (K:5, U:6)
The TIKS alliance still holds and Jeff doesn't realize the mistake he made supporting it last time and casts his two votes with them to oust the injured Jeff.
Reward Challenge: Sake Diving
Ibrehem fails to bring up a bottle on his first two dives and puts Ulong so far behind that they fail to catch up. Koror goes to tribal council first.
Koror votes out a very grateful Kim then chows down while Ulong airs their dirty laundry with Jeff P.
Koror votes to give Ibrehem immunity. Ulong votes out Ashlee.
Reward Challenge: Target Practice
Stephenie owns the target range and leads Koror to victory.
Immunity Challenge: Secure-a-box
Without James' magic knot and sarong tying Ulong squeaks to a photo finish.
The TIKS alliance wavers as Coby tries to paint a target on Tom's back but his plan backfires and he is voted out.
Reward Challenge: S.O.S.
Bobby Jon and crew build their S.O.S. too close to the tree line while Tom and Ian lead Koror to a win.
Immunity Challenge: Water Puzzle
Ibrehem sits out while Angie leads Ulong to victory.
The TIKS alliance breaks down as the women get together and vote out their biggest threat, Tom.
Reward Challenge: Fear Factor Feast
Katie and Caryn prove to be picky eaters and lead Koror to another loss.
Immunity Challenge: Word Scramble
Ulong sits out Jonathan and Gregg which is almost their undoing until Angie saves the day with her come from behind puzzle solving.
Koror returns to tribal council again and the women eliminate the last man in their tribe, Ian.
My, my, my. What a difference one little change and an over-active imagination can bring.