+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The decimation of Ulong....

i see what you're saying about tom, but i dont think i could see him meshing with ulong as well as he does koror

i cant see him getting along with james/angie/jeff/kim or possibly even ibe

james doesnt seem like the type to take orders from anyone

Quote Originally Posted by snickers
    i see what you're saying about tom, but i dont think i could see him meshing with ulong as well as he does koror

i cant see him getting along with james/angie/jeff/kim or possibly even ibe

james doesnt seem like the type to take orders from anyone
    While I agree with you about James, Jeff, and Kim, I suspect that Tom and Angie would have worked out all right. I doubt they'd have been great friends (or even in the same alliance, although it's possible), but Tom seems to respect hard work and determination, and Angie seems to respect being respected, so I think they'd have come to an understanding after the first challenge.

The general lack of determination and teamwork by the Ulongs didn't help them any but I don't necessarily think that Ulong was truly the more physical team to begin with. Ulong "looked" more in shape than most of the Korors but they weren't actually in better all over physical condition. Angie looked like she was the most out of shape person on Ulong yet she was one of their toughest competitors. When you get into shape doing a variety of activities - like firefighting or dolphin training - may not make a person as well chiseled as the guy that works out in the gym everyday but it makes you better prepared for the types of things they do in the challenges.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." – B. Russell

People seem to focus on Ulong's actions during the challenges and councils. But it seems obvious to me that a big difference between Ulong and Koror are their actions outside of the challenges and councils. Namely, food. Ulong may have started out stronger but through the differences in nourishment they lost that edge. I believe that also, perhaps even more so, showed up with the puzzle challenges. Need the protein to keep the mind healthy. Every school kid should know a good breakfast is always important before a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump
    Need the protein to keep the mind healthy.
    Just to pick a nit, the mind needs carbohydrates (i.e. sugar), you need protein to keep your immune system healthy and your body in general good repair.

Angie and Steph carried the tribe in many of the challenges
    Yeah, helped them to get to downtown Loserville! LOL!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    Just to pick a nit, the mind needs carbohydrates (i.e. sugar), you need protein to keep your immune system healthy and your body in general good repair.
    I guess that's just your opinion. Ulong's condition seems to give evidence that's not necessarily true.

In adults, any condition that affects adequate protein intake ... can lead to an imbalance in the supply of amino acids to the brain and CNS. This can result in neurological fall-out and damage. - The nervous system: Amino acids, B vitamins

Quote Originally Posted by Stump
    I guess that's just your opinion. Ulong's condition seems to give evidence that's not necessarily true.
    Stump, I apologize. My post doesn't come across the way it was intended -- I had a tough night last night* and I should have known better than to post before I got a few more hours sleep.

I wasn't trying to say that protein isn't important to your cognitive abilities, but point out that low blood sugar poses a much more immediate threat. If the contestants haven't been consuming sufficient carbs prior to the challenge a short but very intense activity (such as swimming out to get the puzzle pieces) could very well drop their blood sugar levels which will lead to dizziness, confusion, disorientation and if their blood-sugar levels drop low enough unconsciousness and death.

Watching that challenge I thought at the time that they seem to be mildly suffering from the effects low blood sugar. If the people on this show are smart they'll save up coconut (which seems to be their most abundant source of carbs) and eat a bunch half an hour to an hour before each challenge.

* I can tell you about it if you want, it's not salacious or anything.

I think that it is a common assumption that a younger team will be stronger, but obviously, that ain't necessarily so. If you look a those "strong man" competitions, the winners are usually older guys. Same with marathons. Now Willard wasn't much help, but as others have said, Tom was. Tom was pretty clearly the strongest player this season. The idea that youth is stronger is so pervasive that Ulong refused to discount it. Every time BJ went up against Tom, he fully expected to win and was shocked everytime he lost. BJ was a strong competitor, as were Steph and Angie. Jeff may have proven to be had he not gone out with an injury. The rest of the team were no great shakes. No match for Tom, Ian (especially, as we might expect in the water), Gregg and Coby. Confidence, drive, tenacity and teamwork also helped Koror to their record season.

I think Tom may be the strongest overall player yet. And, Stephanie is certainly one of the leading all-time females in terms of challenge performance.

However, BJ was very good at the challenges, and it was just that he had to always go up against Tom. BJ, I recall, dragged Tom through the water very easily in the one water challenge early on and also carried more of those sand bags than anyone.

Had it not been a puzzle, Stephanie and BJ should have won.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast