+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The decimation of Ulong....

I don't think getting rid of Jolanda was wrong for them. She was incredibly annoying in the beginning.

However, I think the impact of that did lead to the "no leader" environment, and thus, they were not a team at all. They couldn't even agree to pick a leader for the home depot project. That was telling.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Simply put they offed the girls too quickly. Other than Kim the rest of the women should have stayed. Everytime they went into tribal council they continued to shoot themselves in the foot by voting off the folks that could actually help them win either a reward or immunity while keeping the problem children. The women in Ulong kicked booty. The men... not so much. Yet the women didn't rally enough to realize this and the entire tribe suffered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I don't think getting rid of Jolanda was wrong for them. She was incredibly annoying in the beginning.
    I'd forgotten to mention the offing of Jolanda. She may have been annoying but she was the only one of them that ever won immunity. At least until last night when Stephenie finally won it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump
    I'd forgotten to mention the offing of Jolanda. She may have been annoying but she was the only one of them that ever won immunity. At least until last night when Stephenie finally won it.
    Ibrehem won immunity at the dual tribal council.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill

However, I think the impact of that did lead to the "no leader" environment, and thus, they were not a team at all. They couldn't even agree to pick a leader for the home depot project. That was telling.
    I agree. While Jolanda's strength could have helped them, IMO she was more a boss than a leader and her bossy style could easily have had negative effects.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    Simply put they offed the girls too quickly. Other than Kim the rest of the women should have stayed. Everytime they went into tribal council they continued to shoot themselves in the foot by voting off the folks that could actually help them win either a reward or immunity while keeping the problem children. The women in Ulong kicked booty. The men... not so much. Yet the women didn't rally enough to realize this and the entire tribe suffered for it.
    Ashlee didn't provide much either, especially since she wanted them to vote her off. Jolanda may have been a mistake to get rid of, but if she caused chaos in the tribe, that wouldn't have been good either (although considering Ulong couldn't get any worse than they already are, it may not have mattered in the end).
    Last edited by karalott; 04-09-2005 at 12:24 AM.

sure ibe won immunity, but koror gave it to him, it was nothing he did challenge wise

With all the discussion about where Ulong went wrong it got me thinking that it all started during the game of pick'em on the second day.
    • Bobby Jon makes a good pick and selects Stephenie.
    • Steph also picks well choosing Jeff (Jeff got taken out with an injury, that's an unfortunate accident and I'm not going to count it against him. He was a hard worker around the camp and a strong competitor during the challenges).
    • Then here is where it breaks down, Jeff picks lazy Kim. Angie or Caryn (or, I suspect, even Wanda) would have been a better selection.
    • Kim picks James and as was well demonstrated in the sumo challenge Coby would have been the better choice.
    • James picks Ashlee, Wanda would have been a better choice than Ashlee, Wanda would have been annoying but she wouldn't have quit.
    • Ashlee picks Ibrehem and we saw how useless he was in the challenges.
    • The only good move Ibrehem made was picking Angie.
    So I think I can safely say that Ulong's first poor move was made by Jeff picking Kim. And it was almost all downhill from there.

One interesting thing I noticed researching this, on Koror Ian picked Katie and Katie picked Tom, I'm sure Tom would have picked Stephenie but she was already on Ulong. Three quarters of the Tom/Ian/Katie/Stephenie alliance are clearly visible to anyone who remembers that.

Flying Dutchman Wheeled Warrior's Avatar
    I think that mental weakness was a big part of it. If you look back at the challenges, you'll notice that Ulong took the lead at the beginning many times. But when Koror started clawing back and Ulong started losing their lead, they panicked, freaked out and lost.

Also, voting off Jolanda so soon and Jeff injuring himself didn't really help the tribe. Looking back, I think the logical voting-off order would have been: Kim, Ashlee, Jeff (because injured, not otherwise), Ibrehim, James, Angie, Jolanda.
    I think this order would have given Ulong some wins. They kept people like Kim, Ibrehim and James around far too long. Stupid stupid stupid.

I couldn't agree with you more, Wheeled. The more they lost, the lower their morale. I think if this team ever had a leader, it was Stephanie. Ulong always went into challenges thinking they could win and then failing to do it. They never once embarrassed themselves.

They were capable of winning and almost won several times. I honestly can't argue with their choice in boots. I don't think they made a colossal mistake booting anyone. Jolanda certainly could have helped, but if she was overbearing as a leader, (and she certainly seemed well on her way) I don't believe it would have made a difference.

I don't think Ibe was the failure that others thought he was. Who was the only guy on Ulong to win a match? He was stronger than an injured Jeff and contributed far more to the camp life than Ashlee or Kim. I think he pulled even with James and Angie was only voted out because Ibe couldn't be.

As their numbers dwindled, they were matched against a team that was well rested, in comparison. By the end, only a fraction of their team was competing in the challenges and judging by the length of some of these challenges, that's a huge deal. They gave it their best shot and never, ever gave up. I don't think they embarrassed themselves at all and I'm sorry that they were obliterated.

I doubt Stephanie is going to get the respect she deserves from Koror.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast