+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Koror's Unexpected Disadvantage

  1. #11
    FORT Newbie tornadoM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by ARFan65
    I missed the show due to the night change, but after reading the recap that was the first question I asked myself

    Willard and Katie did not compete in the final immunity challenge last week.

    So I am not sure what is up.
    I believe Probst's words were " you cannot sit out the same person in back to back challenges "
    It doesnt mean that they cannot sit out the same people for two immunity challenges, because there if there had been a reward challenge in between where they did not sit out, then there would be no problems.

  2. #12
    Ladybug on the run coksy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    33
    Posts
    618
    I think Willard sit out every Reward challenges so far and no Immunity challenges. I don't know for the other ones
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey Sunnyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In the sun
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    Am I wacked, or did they Koror set out the same 3 people 2 challenges in a row? It seems like the people that sat out last night are the same ones that sat out of the last immunity challenge.
    No, you're not wacked- I thought the same thing. They keep sitting out Willard, Caryn and Janu with Katie thrown in for good measure No wonder they didnt think Willard can do anything- they wouldn't even let him try. On a side note- I felt that maybe the reason Willard got lazy at camp with the firewood was because he was protesting. Sorta like- "I'm good enought to get your dang firewood, but not good enough to do a challenge? Well, screw you..."

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey funkalicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,305
    How about only sending out one representive for reward challenges?

  5. #15
    Do the Kirby! Healblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient City
    My recollection is that the rule that a player could not sit-out back-to-back challenges was not in force for the Marquesas season.
    *hunts out his tapes*

    Season 4: Marquesas Challenge Sit-Outs
    Episode 1 Immunity: Nobody, the tribes were even 8-8 to begin with.
    Episode 2 Reward: Robert
    Episode 2 Immunity: Nobody, Hunter had to eat twice in the fafaru eating competition.
    Episode 3 Reward: Paschal and Neleh
    Episode 3 Immunity: Tammy, John, Robert, Gina*1*
    (Tribal Swap instead of Reward Challenge)
    Episode 4 Immunity: Sean, John*2*, Rob
    Episode 5 Reward*3*: Vecepia, Sean, Rob, Zoe
    Episode 5 Immunity*4*: Robert, John, Gabe, Tammy
    Episode 6 Reward: Vecepia, Sean, Tammy
    Episode 6 Immunity: John, Robert, Zoe

    *1* The Ep. 3 IC was a 5-person challenge, so Rotu sat out 3, and Maraamu sat out 1.
    *2* After the tribal swap, it was a different "Rotu" that had John sit out.
    *3* Jeff Probst first says "you cannot sit the same people out in back-to-back challenges"... or at least it's the first time this season it made the air.
    *4* John reminds the tribe of the back-to-back rule and then reminds Zoe of the rule when she tries to help with advice while not actually helping in the distress signal.

    Okay, so the "cannot sit the same people in back-to-back challenges" rule existed. However, the rule may have defined "back-to-back challenges" differently since Tammy sat out the Episode 5 Immunity Challenge and the Episode 6 Reward Challenge. These challenges might not be considered back to back since there was a Tribal Council between them, and Tribal Council is considered a "challenge" from a production standpoint.


    Back on the "Koror's Disadvantage" topic: I'd hardly consider it unexpected. In fact, I would consider it done intentionally by design to serve as somewhat of a hindrance to one tribe completely dominating the other. I believe it saved Chuay Gahn in Season 5 (Thailand), but that's more personal opinion on my favorite season than provable.

  6. #16
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14
    Actually i think jeff kinda forgot the rules.

    Remember Willard sitting out fromt the previous IC, where Coby, Tom and Gregg were up for the guys of Koror.....he should have participated in this week Reward challenge which he din thus sitting out 2 straight challenges. Agree?

  7. #17
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Healblade

    Okay, so the "cannot sit the same people in back-to-back challenges" rule existed. However, the rule may have defined "back-to-back challenges" differently since Tammy sat out the Episode 5 Immunity Challenge and the Episode 6 Reward Challenge. These challenges might not be considered back to back since there was a Tribal Council between them, and Tribal Council is considered a "challenge" from a production standpoint.
    Perhaps you are right. Maybe "back-to-back" challenges only refers to those challenges appearing between tribal councils (or challenges which appear on the same episode). Good point.

  8. #18
    Free Yourself! E-Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ypsilanti, Michigan
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,541
    Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    Am I wacked, or did they Koror set out the same 3 people 2 challenges in a row? It seems like the people that sat out last night are the same ones that sat out of the last immunity challenge.
    That's because a new round started. In the first challenge in a new round (which was the case for last Wednesday), you can sit out anyone you please. But if there are two challenges in one round, that's when you can't sit out the same people. When Jeff says "back-to-back" challenges, he basically means that the people that sit out for reward MUST participate in immunity. It DOESN'T necessiarly mean that the people that sit out in immunity can't sit out in reward. If a group of players sit out immunity, that means they can sit out of the next reward too (since a new round would begin then). I thought everyone understood that,I guess not!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

  9. #19
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Healblade
    Back on the "Koror's Disadvantage" topic: I'd hardly consider it unexpected. In fact, I would consider it done intentionally by design to serve as somewhat of a hindrance to one tribe completely dominating the other. I believe it saved Chuay Gahn in Season 5 (Thailand), but that's more personal opinion on my favorite season than provable.

    I disagree. If your tribe is so strong that you continue to dominate challenges to the downfall of the other tribe, you should not be "punished" for it by being forced to sit people out from challenges you normally wouldn't. The reason it is not really an issue is because pre-merge tribal numbers throught the history of the game have been, for the most part, similar. In other words, most of the time one tribe does not have such a big numbers advantage over the other.

    I really don't think the rule was put into place to help a stronger tribe at one point of the game (i.e. while their numbers advantage is small) then hurt them at another point of the game (i.e when their numbers advantage widened.) Instead, I think it is just one of those things that producers never really considered happening.

    However, I can certainly see why producers would want to "level the playing field" somewhat. Following the exploits of a three-member tribe for an episode would not make for overly exciting television.

    As far as saving Chuay Gahn in Thailand, I'm not sure what you mean. The most people Sook Jai ever had to sit out of a challenge was 2. This happened twice, once when they had 8 tribemates (in Episode 3), the second time when they had 7 (in Episode 5). At the very worst, Sook Jai always had at least three people which they could use in "back-to-back" challenges. The rest of the "pre-merge" advantages were:

    Sook Jai - 1 member up (3 times in Episodes 2, 4 and 6)
    EVEN - (2 times in Episodes 1 and 7)
    Chuay Ghan - 1 member up (1 time in Episode 8)

    I fail to see how this helped Chuay Ghan.

  10. #20
    Do the Kirby! Healblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcrae
    I disagree. If your tribe is so strong that you continue to dominate challenges to the downfall of the other tribe, you should not be "punished" for it by being forced to sit people out from challenges you normally wouldn't. The reason it is not really an issue is because pre-merge tribal numbers throught the history of the game have been, for the most part, similar. In other words, most of the time one tribe does not have such a big numbers advantage over the other.

    I really don't think the rule was put into place to help a stronger tribe at one point of the game (i.e. while their numbers advantage is small) then hurt them at another point of the game (i.e when their numbers advantage widened.) Instead, I think it is just one of those things that producers never really considered happening.

    However, I can certainly see why producers would want to "level the playing field" somewhat. Following the exploits of a three-member tribe for an episode would not make for overly exciting television.
    Well, my only response to this is that it would be a very minor, yet intended disadvantage overall. Keep in mind, this rule was implemented in a time when there were 2 tribes of 8 to begin with, and an expected merge at 10. While it isn't meant to affect the game in a major way, small nudges like this can be effective. A complete tribal domination like is occurring now really wasn't accounted for, especially with the prevalence of tribal swaps in the first seven seasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by tmcrae
    As far as saving Chuay Gahn in Thailand, I'm not sure what you mean. The most people Sook Jai ever had to sit out of a challenge was 2. This happened twice, once when they had 8 tribemates (in Episode 3), the second time when they had 7 (in Episode 5). At the very worst, Sook Jai always had at least three people which they could use in "back-to-back" challenges. The rest of the "pre-merge" advantages were:

    Sook Jai - 1 member up (3 times in Episodes 2, 4 and 6)
    EVEN - (2 times in Episodes 1 and 7)
    Chuay Ghan - 1 member up (1 time in Episode 8)

    I fail to see how this helped Chuay Ghan.
    Season Five (Thailand) Episode 3 Reward Challenge: The "attack zone" challenge. Sook Jai was up 8-6, so they had to sit out two members. They sat out Jake and Erin, two of their most mild mannered members. Unfortunately for them, this meant their more hotheaded members competed in this physical contact challenge. From there, half the tribe was disqualified from the challenge and penalized for agression outside of the attack zone.

    Thus, Chuay Gahn wins reward: 24 hours with two Red Berets, and more importantly, tribe morale. Add the effect of getting food and learning how to find food in the future, not to mention the various other aspects of camp life that improved for the tribe thanks to the Red Berets, and Chuay Gahn got the boost they needed for a huge comeback, winning 5 of the next 6 immunity challenges.

    Once again, this is hardly a valid "proof". It is merely my justification for my personal opinion on this topic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.