+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Jumping the Shark?

FORT Fogey
    I started out thinking this was one of the best seasons, ever. Then Ulong keeps losing and that's hurting the show's entertainment value for me. I don't find it fun to see the same tribe losing, especially to watch my favorite be so miserable. Watching him and the rest of his tribe be tortured at TC was awful too.

Now, if Ulong and Koror shared more IC wins, I'd probably like this season a lot more, but I still hated that Ulong had to watch Koror eat the stew. As it is, I still find it a season in the middle, not one of the best, not one of the worst. The people are still pretty good and for the most part, pretty interesting. I do like that. And I like that some strategizing(Gregg) is finally coming up, as well. I don't think this season is jumping the shark at all.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    One thing I will say about Probst (even if I do think he's gotten more arrogant and even a little meaner) is I like how he's handling TC this season. He's always said that's where you account for your actions, and I like how people are being put on the spot and not being able to get around something they didn't do or screwed up. Although I didn't care much for what seemed like a campaign to vote Kim off. I'm surprised he didn't just come out and tell them to vote for her. And I forgot it's still kind of early in the season, so maybe I jumped the shark (I also hate that term) when I said it was one of the worst. Marquesas about bored me, but after the merge, that's when it got interesting.

I've been enjoying this season a lot. As far as Survivor goes(at least to me, anyway)....it is what it is. I don't expect nor need twists and turns. The thing that bums me out the most is when 1 tribe loses all the time...like Ulong.

I like it when they keep the challenges fresh and physical. Yeah, I know most of these challenges are a variation on a theme, but there is new stuff always being introduced.

Count me as one who really liked TC last night. Not so much the "eating in front of Ulong" part of it, but the fact that Koror was suddenly told about a vote decision they had to make, and had to vote without any consulting of others, and THEN when Ib got immunity, and Ulong had to vote without any conspiring...it really made it interesting to me.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Its on like Donkey Kong! DarKensoul7's Avatar
    I think this season is actually pretty great. In fact I actually think its my favorite one so far; I love Koror so thats maybe why but overall it is still good. Its entertainment as people say, so just be entertained for that 1 hour of the week. People can always simply turn it off but they don't hehe.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Albert Einstein

Go look at the Palau logo.... you have the word Survivor literally jumping over two sharks.
    She show got a good refresher this season. Making it "Physical" in the challenges was exactly what it needed.

I hope they learn from it. No more word or memory games.

For what its worth, my comments on this subject:
    1. My least favorite season and the only one I turned off was last season with the alliance of chubby guys.
    2. I like my eye candy and this season has plenty (Tom, Bobby Jon, Jeff (the one who chose to leave, Greg, Ibrehem) - I don't care if they are models - bring 'em on.
    3. I didn't like the choosing of teams and letting two go. I agree with others on this board that it was mean spirited in many ways to those who had to leave after giving up $$ they could have been earning on their jobs.
    4. Last night's episode of (a) making Koror drop one member after "winning" (even tho it was Willard who should have left) and (b) making them eat in front of the Ulong tribe was mean-spirited and unfair.
    5. I feel the lack of whining, scheming, and dirty tricks on the part of Koror is refreshing after all the scheming in previous episodes. Greg's approach to Colby was low key and appropriate (if a bit premature).
    6. Why do we have to have a "Queen" Bee (Coby)? And, if we are being politically correct, where are the Asians and other ethnic groups. We've had very very few Asians and hardly any groups other than Black and White - what about some East Indians, Native Americans, Inuits, Arabs, Philipinos, etc. mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Count me as one who really liked TC last night. Not so much the "eating in front of Ulong" part of it, but the fact that Koror was suddenly told about a vote decision they had to make, and had to vote without any consulting of others, and THEN when Ib got immunity, and Ulong had to vote without any conspiring...it really made it interesting to me.
    Totally agree. When they have to make a quick decision without strategizing with each other is much more interesting to me. It tends to expose a player's game and thought process.

Yeah, "jumped the shark" is getting real old....how 'bout "jumped the snark"?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    jumped the snark!! I love it ElizabethG!!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Thanks Maveno. Let's define "jump the snark"

'A show that has gotten so predictable, so stale, so utterly without merit that FORTers no longer even care to post, i.e. "snark" about it.'

Using that definition...I think we still care about Survivor.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Perfect!! I'll use it from now on when some reality show.. well... "jumps the snark".

But, I won't use it for Survivor yet.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast