+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Jumping the Shark?

jpoliver...I completely agree. I was disappointed at the first episodes schoolhouse pick’em. The contestants put their lives on hold and possibly sacrificed just to have the opportunity to play the game and two didn't get the chance.
    Sort of a “ Congratulations your on Survivor………….NOT, pack your bags and go back home Loser”

Last night I was tempted to turn to another station, they were being so cruel to the Ulong tribe. For me that isn’t the kind of Survivor I enjoy watching.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    To clarify, I don't think Survivor has jumped the shark, but I do think it's getting to the point where it's done all it can do, at least in the producers eyes. And I don't take it's ratings into consideration, since Thailand, AS, and Vanuatu all did well. But no matter how Palau turns out, it will never be anywhere near as bad as those 3 I just mentioned. I think Palau, like Vanuatu, had an interesting mix of contestants, but either those that were interesting or would have stirred things up got booted, or they'll be outnumbered and won't have a chance to shine.

Maybe if they got back to letting people try out rather then go casting it would be a step in the right direction. I am sick of the actor/model wannabes. I'd rather see real poeple on any 'human drama/reality show' Maybe people I can relate to.
    I love the eye candy, so I don't have a problem with that. I think it adds diversity, and to me, I don't want to see 16-20 Survivor fanatics who all look like every day people that I can relate to. This season aside, I think the past few seasons have gone back to casting more "normal" looking people instead of solely eye candy. Now, when it's someone like Angie who's average compared to the models, but not someone I've ever hung out with or could see myself as, I don't mind them casting people like that. But if they're going to cast people, I would like to see more people who are into the game (like Bobby Jon) and less people who want a way out (Jeff and Ashlee). But again, it's not like everyone needs to be playing the game for me to be interested in it. I just don't like the whiners who beg to get booted.
    Last edited by karalott; 03-17-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    The ideas of school yard picking of teams and living on the same beach as two tribes had been done before (see Thailand season), however this particular episode just went overboard with the twists.
    Actually, if they'd gone through with the "two tribes living on one beach" concept from start to finish, I think that it would have added a lot to the game, not the least of which being a diminishment of the likelyhood of yet another Pagonging. That's getting really old. By opening up the possibility of inter-tribal scheming and alliances pre-merge, I think that a number of players wouldn't know how to react to such a fundamental shift in game dynamics, which could lead to some exemplary gameplay. Keep the camps a good distance apart, sure, but allow a fair amount of cross-politicization.

But by all means, lose the school-yard team pick.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Ha ha! I was thinking the same thing. Hasn't this been said of the last 9 seasons?

From a personal standpoint, I know of quite a few people who actually just started watching Survivor this season, so I think there's still some juice left in the Survivor machine.
    Count me three. I saw this and thought, "Oh, is it time for the jumped the shark thread already?"

I suppose it depends on what criteria you use to determine when a show has jumped the shark. If you are looking at ratings, it obviously has not. Sometimes the twists are clever and shocking, sometimes they are not. This has been going on since the show started.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Count me three. I saw this and thought, "Oh, is it time for the jumped the shark thread already?"

I suppose it depends on what criteria you use to determine when a show has jumped the shark. If you are looking at ratings, it obviously has not. Sometimes the twists are clever and shocking, sometimes they are not. This has been going on since the show started.
    I claim four!

Ted McGinley hasn't shown up yet, so "jumping the shark" does not apply.

And if I never hear that phrase again, I'll be quite happy. In my opinion, it's so overused whenever someone wants to complain that they don't like a returning show.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Jumping The Shark : Survivor? - No.

Jumping The Shark : The inevitable seasonal comments yet again stating "One of The Worst Survivors Ever"? - Yes.

Since they appear to be playing up the "Koror men vs. the shark" angle, this might literally be the season that a Survivor jumps the shark....

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar
    hehehehehe - when i first read this thread my eyes rolled and i thought 'what, already? i thought we'd have another week at least!'

so, i guess i am 5.

I think using the phrase "jump the shark" has jumped the shark.

But that is just me, a rebel.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Saying that "jumping the shark" has jumped the shark might be jumping the gun....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast