+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CBS Stacked the Deck.

[I don't think models are bad. ] Lil Cutie.

Of course, models are not automatically bad people. It's just that they're more likely to be on the show to gain fame, not to play the game of Survivor. That makes them less interesting and intelligent game players. Though we'll see if I'm proven wrong this year. If any of the pretty young modelpeople prove to be good players of the game, I'll eat my yoga mat.

Namaste.

This whole topic is a tempest in a teacup. I don't even think the title is fair. CBS didn't stack the deck (i.e. give a contestant(s) an unfair advantage). Who cares how they selected the contestants as long as they are interesting to watch? I don't care if they hire models or actors, as long as they aren't working from a script (see: Joe Schmoe) they're just people playing the game.

If someone has evidence that Mark Burnett planted an alliance, gave some contestants "back-stage" info or even directions then there would be a story. That some of the contestants are models or wanna-be actors shouldn't be surprising. I'd bet more than half the applications for the show are from wanna-bes of some kind or another.

Wanda is a loon. I doubt that the producers would pull _7_ contestants off the show at the last minute just because they weren't attractive enough. The 7 she may be talking about probably have modeling experience and maybe were found through casting agents rather than application videos, but that doesn't mean 7 finalists were canned. We've had several contestants in the past admit that they were found by casting agents. It's not new.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto
    Wanda is a loon. I doubt that the producers would pull _7_ contestants off the show at the last minute just because they weren't attractive enough. The 7 she may be talking about probably have modeling experience and maybe were found through casting agents rather than application videos, but that doesn't mean 7 finalists were canned. We've had several contestants in the past admit that they were found by casting agents. It's not new.
    Considering how big of a show Survivor is, and all the applications they receive, is she trying to say they don't get any young, buff, pretty 20 year old models that apply so they need to go recruit some models? I can believe that CBS may have recruited some of the contestants for this season, as they along with other reality shows have done so in the past. But I'd agree that is seems unlikely CBS would pull 7 people they'd already selected (and the way she makes it sound, they were all ready to go and got yanked at the last minute) just to substitute in pretty people.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    From what I understand, a "regular" contestant sends in a video and has to go through WEEKS of interviews, etc. It ain't no picnic. So a Suvivor fan has to really work to get on the show. Then, there are the "recruited" contestants - some have never seen the show and are basically "cast" for the part...hmm, wonder if they get paid to do the show? Yes, that's the way it is, and I accept it....doesn't mean I LIKE it.

BUT, I think Wanda is allowed a certain amount of disappointment. To work that hard to get somewhere (and, I don't care if she WAS singing, she isn't the first - and I'll take the corny survivor songs over some other contestant's religious hymns) and then get dumped before she can do ANYTHING survivoresque? I'd be bummed too. It's like getting kissed through a screen door - but phooey!!
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Some of this Wanda said doesn't make sense....the national search with screen tests...casting calls and other search processes would take time..certainly over a month...and then to expect those chosen to drop everything on a few weeks notice would be unlikely....still there are alot of models this time....

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    wonder if they get paid to do the show? Yes, that's the way it is, and I accept it....doesn't mean I LIKE it.
    Everyone - whether they were recruited or not - gets paid. It depends on how long they lasted, of course, but it's not as if you walk away empty-handed.

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    I have no problem if they "hire" models (eye candy) etc.
    I think viewers might be less interested if there wasn't eye candy on certain shows BUT I for one watch shows like Survivor for interesting people. I thought Wanda was interesting(but annoying) and people like Lex, Lil, Twila , Scout, etc. are also interesting people. To each is their own and as long as its fair and everyone starts out equal I say bring on the models BUT bring on the interesting people too!
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    From what I understand, a "regular" contestant sends in a video and has to go through WEEKS of interviews, etc. It ain't no picnic. So a Suvivor fan has to really work to get on the show. Then, there are the "recruited" contestants - some have never seen the show and are basically "cast" for the part...hmm, wonder if they get paid to do the show? Yes, that's the way it is, and I accept it....doesn't mean I LIKE it.
    The way I understand it there are lots of ways to "apply" for a show like Survivor.

You can send in an application (with video). You can show up at one of the public casting calls they hold in various cities or your agent can send you to a private casting call. You can be "spotted" in your natural habitat by one of the casting agents or your name can be put forward by someone on the production team who knows you or knows of you (friend of a friend). There are probably other scenarios as well.

That's the first step, then the rest of the vetting process continues, you get brought in for various interviews, camera tests, psychological tests, etc. as they weed out the "undesirables". As long as they aren't giving some people an unfair advantage during the game I don't care how they were initially recruited.

FORT Newbie
    Fact is most reality shows have people scouring the country for contestants... Just because they find someone who didn't send in an audition tape doesn't make them a model..

In fact I think it is a good process, as it gets a mixture of people, some who would not otherwise EVER be on the show... If you only picked from a pool of rabid fanatics willing enough to create and submit a tape, they would be severely limiting their pool of contestants, and everyone would be very similar.

It is highly unlikely they cast people from head shots.. It is highly likely that they picked out people on the streets or from head shots and brought them in for a casting interview, combined with the video tapes.

I think some people don't like to hear this because it seems to lessen their odds of getting on the show... But I don't know of any reality show that doesn't do this...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast