+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do to prepare?

FORT Newbie

What would you do to prepare?

Some of tonights display led me to wonder just what you would do in preparation if you were chosen for survivor? :rolleyes

I mean for a few starters wouldn't you brush up on all your water skills? Like fair chance you are going to have to PADDLE, swim, dive deep and hold your breath etc etc. Crazy as it seems you might even throw in a little spear fishing practice and learn how to clean fish just in case.

Here's my pet list of essential Survivor skills'

- Make fire. Get on the Internet. There are places where you can learn how to make fire with bare materials. Then practise it until you can (I did notice an obviously informed fire making attempt on this weeks episode to give credit due)

- Shelter making 101. Basically a scout manual or something will teach you how to tie knots and how to lash structures together. Find out how to weave palm fronds to keep out rain etc.

- Fishing. Okay you think you need a line and hook... but maybe not. You can find pictures of traditional fish traps in National Geographic (no doubt on the Net too) that catch fish as the tide recedes. I've never seen anyone even attempt one of these.

- Mental strengthening exercises. Before going on Survivor develop the awesome ability to resist spontaneously breaking into song.

Last edited by Dirk; 02-22-2005 at 09:17 AM.

All the above especially the shelter thing since you know your bound to be on an island and what materials are there.

I put in another thread also I would always be wearing( to every survivor thing I had to go to prior to getting stranded) what I wanted to be wearing when I go to the island. I would check out some of those amazing travel/outdoor shops and get a great keep you cool, no bugs, no sun shirts, pants that turn into shorts and dry real quick, stuff like that!

If I was super lean, trim and skinny (which I am not) I'd beef up and add some extra pounds.
    Last edited by laura302; 02-22-2005 at 10:17 AM.

First of all, all the boy scout skills in the world won't help you make fire. It's 100% humidity, everything is damp, nothing will burn. Unless you have a mirror to use as a welding torch, it's pretty much hopeless.

Fatten up. What's with these skinny girls and lean muscle machine guys? They'll be fainting from dehydration and starvation.

Fishing, can't these people make a spear? Catch a dang crab for heavens sake. Weave a basket for a crab or fish trap.
    "The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars."

Peter Diamandis, X Prize Founder

Everything above lol... and!!

Hand-Eye Coordination! So many challenged have to do with that. Whether it be shooting a slingshot or arrow...

Untying Knots! So many tribes lose missions because they don't know what to do and what knot. (Hahaha, bad joke. ^^)
    You're a bad mother... shut your mouth! ^^

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    This might sound kind of odd - but in addition to the fire starting, shelter building, fish catching skills, I'd probably take a yoga class. I'd focus on learning how to clear my mind and relax my body, etc. I think it'd be helpful in keeping me from going into hyperdrive once I hit the shore. (Ever notice how some contestants get so wound up and excited at first, that they lose perspective?). Also, if there's a challenge where you need to out stay others, it would be helpful. Remember Shii Ann and the bucket of water over her head? She relaxed into the position with her arm up and could have gone on for HOURS.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

High on my list would be fishing, using a sling spear and general snorkel techinques. They get fire fairly early in most games so fire-making wouldn't be a priority for me. Buffing up might do more harm than good but some advanced swimming classes wouldn't hurt. Early in the game, the ability to shut your mouth and keep it shut no matter what would be my number 1 priority.

I always wondered how much of the survivors first day clothing is staged to get that "shipwrecked" look so preparing better clothes might not work out.

Ooo!! I would take yoga to help me with my balance and endurance. The final challenges are always like that...
    You're a bad mother... shut your mouth! ^^

FORT Newbie
    Fatten up. What's with these skinny girls and lean muscle machine guys? They'll be fainting from dehydration and starvation.
    I bet a lot of the contestants lose weight beforehand so they look good...

:rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by TuckernOtis
    Since I already have this covered, I would make sure my oh-so-ample-self was covered well enough so that the FORTers weren't as they were viewing me in all my loveliness. So, I would learn basic survival skills that were all covered above, make sure I had a few bobby pins in my hair and laces in my shoes so that I could turn a coconut into a television like MacGuyver.
    Last edited by Ana Bannana; 02-23-2005 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast