+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Probst: 'Palau' is a different 'Survivor' ****May be spoilers

eny
    FORT Fogey

Probst: 'Palau' is a different 'Survivor' ****May be spoilers

By JOHN POWELL -- JAM! Showbiz

According to Jeff Probst ‘Survivor Palau’ is the response to critics who believe the CBS reality series has become too predictable.

“There are more firsts this season than we have ever had,” Probst told Jam! Showbiz. “That’s what struck me as the season went on and on. Some of them are twists. Some of them are things that happened organically and some are a result of challenges but there are more things you have never seen before this season.”

Calling ‘Palau’ the “water season”, Probst promised the challenges on this the tenth installment are the most physical and original ever.

“The visibility underwater was so good we decide to pull out a lot of challenges we have been sitting on. In the first three or four episodes we have some of the most physical challenges I think we have ever put on in terms of endurance and needing to be physically fit,” said Probst.

To the delight of the producers, strengthening the challenges made things difficult for the tribes to immediately target the athletic players as they had in the past. A problem which had haunted the series as a whole and ultimately doomed ‘Survivor: Vanuatu’.

“The message that they (the players) are going to find out is if you vote out your strong simply because they are strong…go ahead…but odds are, you will back at Tribal Council,” said Probst revealing that there is a major “cat fight” at one of the challenges early on.

The producers also kept the players off balance right out of the gate by not providing the them with any information or tools whatsoever to begin the game. The ‘Palau’ players didn’t even know if they were one tribe or not.

“This time, I literally show up and say…There’s your beach. Have a good time,” Probst stated. “The players began wondering…Do I start making alliances now or will that maybe bite me in the ass? Should I not say anything at this moment? Do we build a shelter? Are we staying here? There is no name on the flag. It just says ‘Survivor Palau’.”

Probst said that confusing start doesn’t sound like a whole lot but it “pays off” in the first few days and Day 33 because the producers put into the players’ heads that ‘Palau’ is a slightly different game.

Viewers will see that difference for themselves when the first two ‘Survivor Palau’ contestants get booted. They don’t get kicked the traditional way at Tribal Council. They are victims of a tribal pick ‘em. Two players aren’t selected to be on a tribe and therefore must leave the game immediately.

“It is brutal. It is the same feeling you have when you’re not picked on a schoolyard or when you’re the first guy laid off. At its core, without question, ‘Survivor’ is a social game and that is put to the test right away. These people in essence never really get a chance to play this game and yet they go through all the work to get there,” said Probst.

Besides the water-based premise, ‘Palau’ also will underscore the theme of “choices” and their “consequences”.

“You may not even pick up on it but it started filtering in and we started making it an element to some challenges, some situations and some decisions. The thinking was…Let’s every time we can let them make a choice and it ends up having an impact,” said Probst.

While the producers did use the Second World War heritage of the ‘Palau’ area as a backdrop, Probst maintains they didn’t exploit it. The Tribal Council area is in a bunker-like set and there may be some military themes to the challenges but the producers viewed ‘Palau’ as a living monument to the conflict.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/02/10/926831.html

Two players get booted right away because they don't get picked? Yikes.

To the delight of the producers, strengthening the challenges made things difficult for the tribes to immediately target the athletic players as they had in the past. A problem which had haunted the series as a whole and ultimately doomed ‘Survivor: Vanuatu’.
    Now there's a change I can get behind!

And we can afford to lose 2 right away since they're starting with such a large cast. But it will be sad not to get to know those 2 very well.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Yes! This sounds promising, and I haven't been excited about Survivor since before AllStars.

I wonder how that worked, though. How many challenges did it take for people to catch on they needed strong players to further their team?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Now there's a change I can get behind!

And we can afford to lose 2 right away since they're starting with such a large cast. But it will be sad not to get to know those 2 very well.
    Every season, they always hype it up, but I think this season's Jeff's actually being honest and not just hyping. It will be nice to see the jocks not get the boot or be targeted by the not so pretty people for a change.

I have to say I'll feel pretty bad for the two that don't get picked. I wonder if they'll make it so it's one guy and one girl.

Viewers will see that difference for themselves when the first two ‘Survivor Palau’ contestants get booted. They don’t get kicked the traditional way at Tribal Council. They are victims of a tribal pick ‘em. Two players aren’t selected to be on a tribe and therefore must leave the game immediately.
    Absolutely ruthless, evil, unfair, and cutthroat.

I think I may like this season!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    It sounds like they're just dumped on a beach, also. So, the whole "we're pretty so we don't have to work" thing isn't going to fly either. I know that I get annoyed when the "worker bees" slave away while the "princess kitties" lie around in the sun.

I think this is going to be a good season.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Absolutely ruthless, evil, unfair, and cutthroat.

I think I may like this season!
    I'm right there with ya! Although- I kinda think it's a little unfair to boot someone before they even get to participate, but hey- some of us (ME) have been whining that we need to see some new stuff, right?
    I'm wondering why the first episode in only an hour though? Isn't it usually 2?

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    By JOHN POWELL -- JAM! Showbiz

Besides the water-based premise, ‘Palau’ also will underscore the theme of “choices” and their “consequences”.

“You may not even pick up on it but it started filtering in and we started making it an element to some challenges, some situations and some decisions. The thinking was…Let’s every time we can let them make a choice and it ends up having an impact,”said Probst.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/02/10/926831.html
    This little bit is very intriuging. Are the producers going to be deliberately manipulating the game during gameplay based specifically on the players? Wouldn't that go against the rules of not interfering with the contestants on game shows? Whatever they mean by this, it should be ok so long as whatever 'changes' may be made affects ALL contestants equally.

They are victims of a tribal pick ‘em.
    It all depends on who the pickers are.

I'd hate to see Wanda booted ten minutes into Episode One, just because the Studmuffins got to do the picking.
    But if, say Jolanda got the job and was already fingerwagging at some of the girls...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast