+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: Stephenie

Snoozin' on the beach
    All you have to do is remove the cookie they add to your browser and they can't track you or recognize that you've voted or been to the site at all.

I think it's a waste of time and effort but some people (mostly kids) will do anything to have their favorite in the lead. Even if that's something as silly as "stuffing the ballot box". They also changed the format for voting. Instead of like/dislike on a 1-10 scale.

She's losing fans in droves every week with her attitude and behavior. I think there's more post that are "I was a fan but not anymore after she did so and so" than there are people that didn't like her at all.
    Last edited by Shady64; 11-28-2005 at 11:38 PM.

FORT Newbie
    She's losing fans in droves every week with her attitude and behavior. I think there's more post that are "I was a fan but not anymore after she did so and so" than there are people that didn't like her at all.
    Funny enough, I didn't like Steph at all last season because the praise, IMO, was wholly undeserved. Conversely, this season, even though I can't say I like her, I find myself being supportive in the face of an onslaught that again, IMO, is wholly undeserved.

To be fair to Stephanie (and I can't stand her but still...) her fellow survivors have allowed her to act as entitled and holier than thou- I mean, for the most part, everyone within her original tribe has kissed up to her and treated her as the second coming as if they can't even think of a final 4 without Steph being a part of it. I don't like Steph but if no one is willing to stop kow towing to her can we really blame her for her behaviour? I mean, other than Gary calling her out and Lydias jungle confessional/smashing Steph's pot, absolutely no one has dared to make any move without Stephanie (and Judds) consent. I mean, who put her in charge? Her original tribe did the minute it was revealed she was back for a second chance,without a whole lot of thought as to why she should be top dog other than she's `spunky' Stephanie from last season.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 11-29-2005 at 04:36 PM.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user name View Post
    I was surprised Bobby Jon got so popular after being such a jackass with Jamie, but considering how hated Jamie is, maybe it's not so surprising.
    I didn't see a jackass. I saw an exceptionally beautiful man not allowing himself to be "big boy-ed", and "speaking" (so to speak) in terms which the little boy would understand.

(either that or I'm drawn to exceptionally beautiful jackasses)

Steph's head was way too big, before the plane even hit Guatemalan soil. I'm sure she's doing alot of cringing. Message boards must have been a joy for her to read from Palau. Now she's probably being advised to stay away from message boards all together. It's her bed. I still think she's awesome though.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

FORT Fogey
    Who's gonna remove the cookie each time they vote? Most people don't even know what a cookie is.

I think it's a waste of time and effort but some people (mostly kids) will do anything to have their favorite in the lead. Even if that's something as silly as "stuffing the ballot box". They also changed the format for voting. Instead of like/dislike on a 1-10 scale.
    Which would apply to any potential favorite. I think the new voting system is pretty lame myself.

Aside from perhaps Rob & Amber, I haven't gone out of my way to point out favorites, and even then it's been fairly limited. However, there have been plenty of people I wanted off my TV screen and let it be known. As I mentioned, people are more likely to gripe than praise on message boards.
    Last edited by user name; 11-29-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by user name View Post
    Who's gonna remove the cookie each time they vote? Most people don't even know what a cookie is.n.
    That's what I thought too until I watched my 12, 14 and 16 year old nieces spending an hour doing just that to give her 75 more votes. They were bored waiting for T-day dinner and was killing time. They sure knew what a cookie was.

The polls while not an exact representation are generally a good measurement. The only exception I can think of would be in the event where the people online know something the general audience doesn't, such as Big Brother with the live feeds.

CBS is able to track who voted when. Anyone voting multiple times is just wasting their time
    With cookie removal there is a way to flood any kind of poll on the internet and skew polularity of a decision or person without keeping track of multiple votings. You or I wouldn't waste our time doing it because it's not important to us but there are lots of people that it is important to and that's what they do. if they're gonna make the effort to vote multiple times, why not go that extra step and remove the cookie to make it count?

It's not a good measurement at all. No poll is, whether it's TV, Politics or what have you. People need to keep that in mind when they see poll results and gauging how inaccurate they are.
    Last edited by Shady64; 11-29-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Leo
    Premium Member
    If somebody really wants to, it's not hard at all to write a small program designed to stuff an online poll. You run it and it sits in the background stuffing the poll - no human input required.

It's worse than "not a good measurement" - it's not one at all.

FORT Fogey
    That's what I thought too until I watched my 12, 14 and 16 year old nieces spending an hour doing just that to give her 75 more votes. They were bored waiting for T-day dinner and was killing time. They sure knew what a cookie was.
    While sad, that certainly doesn't represent most or even 1% of people. And even still, how much impact does 25 votes have when millions of people are voting? Granted, even with cookie removal, they can (and do according to their privacy policy) easily track your IP address. That's a lot harder to cover up than cookies.

With cookie removal there is a way to flood any kind of poll on the internet and skew polularity of a decision or person without keeping track of multiple votings. You or I wouldn't waste our time doing it because it's not important to us but there are lots of people that it is important to and that's what they do. if they're gonna make the effort to vote multiple times, why not go that extra step and remove the cookie to make it count?
    For each overzealous Steph fan, there's an overzealous Steph hater or Danni fan or what have you.

It's not a good measurement at all. No poll is, whether it's TV, Politics or what have you. People need to keep that in mind when they see poll results and gauging how inaccurate they are.
    Poll results have historically been considered accurate... but with a margin of error. Of course, any poll can be easily skewed, but it's harder to intentionally skew them on the Internet due to anonymimty and worldwide access. Last year Steph was beloved based on polls. This year she's back. Meanwhile, Rupert was handed $1 million on a silver platter. Coincidence?
    Last edited by user name; 11-29-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Snoozin' on the beach
    it is very sad. While 75 votes won't make a difference, it illustrates the point that it is very easily mainpulated. Though I could only guess, I know there are alot more than my 3 nieces that do it. It reminds me of ranking in an online card game on sites like Yahoo or Excite. Something that is not a true reflection, just a really meaningless number that alot of people will go to great (and dubious) lengths to inflate. Nope, those polls are a load of bunk when every poster on all the forums and what's going on in the show tell us other, but if people want to believe it, that's their peragative.

Millions voting? I don't know about that. I don't work for CBS and have no idea of how many votes are cast. Telephone polls may be more accurate but interenet polls are not. Not unless the site has a fool proof way of "one person-one vote"
    Last edited by Shady64; 11-29-2005 at 11:27 PM.

Seems like there must be a lot of people out there full of Steph love. I still can't decide exactly how I feel about Steph. I like her a lot but am not totally sold on the second chance thing.

+ Reply to Thread