+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jolanda

Quote Originally Posted by Justwatching2
    The other lawyer woman, Caryn, "commanded" everyone to split up into groups and get started on something...nobody called her loud and bossy. The fire fighter guy, Tom, "commanded" how the shelter should be built...nobody called him loud and bossy.

She said everyone should work then rest, so "they could be physically and mentally ready to win". She was thinking of the tribe. To me she was being motherly/protective of her tribe not bossy.
    Happily they're going to air this episode again Saturday, as I was so hepped up for the show I succumbed to napland a shortly before the show started and missed the first half hour. I'll be interested in seeing if the two other commanders you mention (Caryn and Tom) come across as strident as Jolanda appeared to me in half an episode.

It would be nice to hear the full comments and underlying reasoning of those who voted for Jolanda to depart. I get the sense that part of the reason may have been that the Tribal Council vote seemed to be a referendum on validating Jolanda's self annointed coronation as tribal Queen Bee, a position that would allow her to consolidate power and make it more difficult to oust her later.

I wonder how much of how I perceive Jolanda has to do with the tone in her voice; the notion of an hour of rest after working two seemed sound enough, though it also smacked of the type of potential micromanagement down the line that I think the others envisioned and rebelled against when considering who to vote off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    I wonder how much of how I perceive Jolanda has to do with the tone in her voice; the notion of an hour of rest after working two seemed sound enough, though it also smacked of the type of potential micromanagement down the line that I think the others envisioned and rebelled against when considering who to vote off.
    That was the incident that made me just know Jolanda was going to get kicked out; I think it would have been much better to wait until a lull in the activity and then say "Hey, I've got an idea, what does everyone else think?", or "Why don't we (insert idea here), and get feedback, or else just work hard for two hours and then quietly slack off for an hour. Instead of just saying what she thinks, she needs to try to make everyone else feel included in making a decision. I don't think Jolanda was seen as too strong, it's just that being so blunt makes her seem bossy or power hungry, whether it's true or not. I know because I tend to be that way myself!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

JR.
    Exactly queenb, it's not what you say but how you say it. Suggestions work better that orders.

There is a big difference between suggesting and telling/ordering. Jolanda came across as telling people we will do this, that probably irritated a few people but probably not enough to change the original vote until Stephanie took this as an opportunity to take out Jolanda as she originally wanted. If Stephanie had not jumped on this I don't think Jolanda would have been voted off.

What is funny about this entire situation is that nobody pointed any fingers at the terrible rowing being the downfall of this team. Even coming from behind as they did supposedly they had the younger stronger testosterone driven team and noone said that they lost because of the rowing. They could have reached there boat first and launched before the other team and still have lost.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 02-19-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Jolanda when introducing herself told them to call her "Jo" if they could'nt rememeber Jolanda. This struck me as a bit condensending.

I'm glad she is gone. Way too bossy for me.

On the Survivor live show Friday, Jo said that they were there for 2.5 days. The hut they built was crap and leaked terribly during a rain storm. She had a lot of insight, I think that her training as an attorney makes it so she can tell us enough behind the scenes info to make it interesting without going beyond what is acceptable. I wish she could have been there longer so she could have told us more. Go to the CBS website and watch the Survivor Live, it is interesting.

Good luck Jo.

FORT Regular
    I don't think that Jolanda was very bossy, and I certainly don't think she was booted for being a "strong black woman." Nobody really new each other well, and any little excuse is enough to get five strangers on the same page. I wanted her to get booted because I like Angie, but Jolanda showed good sportsmanship, so now I wish she had stayed around.

FORT Newbie
    I don't know why so many people describe Jolinda's personality as "strong"?

To me being overly domineering and bossy in inappropriate circumstances (it will get you voted out) is more likely a sign of some weakness than strength of personality. Over compensating perhaps, in unfamiliar surroundings?

People with truly 'strong' personalities I'd suggest don't have to use so much force to get their way. Others will follow them by choice.

Jo was a self described physically strong player. We all know how the pattern of late is to lose strong players early and they showed Jo’s team strategizing on how they didn’t want to lose a guy (presumably for the strength) just yet, so the majority simply voted off the (apparent) greatest female threat. Simple as that.

FORT Newbie
    so the majority simply voted off the (apparent) greatest female threat. Simple as that.
    Um, so you don't think being domineering, bossy and getting outwitted in the first challenge would have been enough?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast