+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jolanda

Quote Originally Posted by Justwatching2
    The other lawyer woman, Caryn, "commanded" everyone to split up into groups and get started on something...nobody called her loud and bossy. The fire fighter guy, Tom, "commanded" how the shelter should be built...nobody called him loud and bossy.

She said everyone should work then rest, so "they could be physically and mentally ready to win". She was thinking of the tribe. To me she was being motherly/protective of her tribe not bossy.
    Thought that was a great idea when she brought it up. Face it, on the past shows everyone was at extremes: very lazy or busy bees. But seriously, considering their drastic dietary intake, they shouldn't work so hard. She wanted to rally the troops and keep them positive. An example is when she said that she didn't allow negative energy to come about over the loss and how she was high-fiving everyone. I'll bet she's a really cool and supportive friend.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I think her talks around the camp were just icing on the cake for her own self-destruction. The silly argument during the challenge, especially when the other team was running away in the lead, sealed her fate.

Early on, people are not picked to be booted, generally they get themselves booted. Jolanda is a classic example of that.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

What is it about being a strong black woman that is so intimidating to people?
    When the other lawyer woman stood up and said that everyone had to either go find water, build shelter, or start a fire, she wasn't perceived as being to "bossy" or "loud".
    I totally disagree with this. Caryn was not coming acrossed as I'm the boss, she was coming acrossed as helping to formulate a plan because up until that point, everyone was milling around looking at each other.

Jolanda headed in the right direction during the challenge when she took some initiative and got the team working together, however, she overstepped by insisting they do it her way and then couldn't manage to keep her bossiness out of the way when they got back to camp and she started her "we need to get rid of the weak first" campaign.

Jolanda was my favorite before the start of this game, and I honestly have to say that nobody blew it for Jolanda but Jolanda. She knew what she had to do and she just couldn't do it.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    How apropos that she ate a damn cricket. On the first day. When she didn't need to eat it.

I wonder if she's wearing a T-shirt that says, "I was on Survivor and all I got was a cricket".

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Didn't she say near the beginning "I'm Jolanda, don't forget that"? That and her bossiness at the IC and her "Newsflash" of working two hours and then resting one would be enough to put off anyone. I think teamwork and fitting in is going to be stressed this season and having someone boss everyone around wasn't going to work.

That being said, someone needs to make decisions over at Ulong. If Jolanda had recognized her mistakes at the TC and later corrected them, she wouldn't have been the first one out. But she continued along the same lines later and deservedly paid for it. The others knew they had lost an asset but it was a risk they were willing to take.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I wonder if she's wearing a T-shirt that says, "I was on Survivor and all I got was a cricket".

I couldn't figure out why she'd do that when it was totally unnecessary.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Having said all that Caryn did take a risk. If she pushed it a bit harder, she would have been targetted too.

Jo made a similar mistake to Holly last season. Tried to take control too early. Unless you have a Angie style target already painted on you, you really really should be low key in the first few pre-Tribal negotiations.

I think she probably went into the game with the though of playing down her strengths. When they were all running around at the beginning, trying for fire and cutting clothes. She yells out, "I need a strong man, do we have a strong man?" And gets whichever guy it was, to hack off the heels of her shoes. Later in the game she says she stronger than most of the guys there. So I'm thinking at the beginning she was trying to down play, but her own competitive spirit just got the best of her.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    What is it about being a strong black woman that is so intimidating to people?
    When the other lawyer woman stood up and said that everyone had to either go find water, build shelter, or start a fire, she wasn't perceived as being to "bossy" or "loud".

I don't see any reason why Jolanda was voted off. It was Steph that instigated the whole thing. She was physically strong and a team player. She welcomed every member of her tribe (initially) and started to bring them all together. Even after they booted her she said I hope you guys win. I got the sense that she would have pulled that team together to win alot of challenges.
    I was wondering what everyone would make of Caryn's "we need people to do this, this and that" but I thinks she knew they needed a plan, and since no one was offering one, she just made the suggestion. I don't think she came across in the same way as Jolanda.

As for being a team player, I'll say her intentions were good, but I don't know if her team was willing to take her on as their leader. Considering I see Ulong as being the tribe of the lazy (past stereotypes of tribes like their's makes me think that way), I don't believe having someone boss them around was something they wanted for however long each of them is on the island for. I may have to go back and watch, but if I remember right, there were 5 of them walking in the woods, and someone else (I think it was Kim or Ashlee) said that they really wanted to vote for Jolanda, but didn't know anyone else felt that way. Physically I think they'll do fine, even though she would have been an asset, but I think if their stronger mentally, that's what's going to help them win.

FORT Fan
    Okay.
    So maybe I just don't get the Survivor "game" or "mentality". I think it is great when someone shows leadership qualities and gets things in order. However, when it comes to this game that is not the best thing to do, especially right away. It is best to remain "under the radar" at least for awhile. Okay I get it.

I just always thought that if you remained too quiet, people would not form alliances with you and vote you off anyway because you are preceived as being lazy, or just coasting by; but they key is to not make any "waves".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast