+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jolanda

FORT Regular
    Wow, a black woman self destructing in a reality-tv show - never would have guessed that coming..

My hat is off to her for being herself, but it was a train wreck about to happen.

She is a tough woman, wish her well.

I'm sad to see her go first, she was definitely my favorite

FORT Regular

She pulled the pin on her own grenade....

I always seem to ask myself about the first couple of people booted from the show, "Have they never seen Survivor? Maybe not even watched any Reality TV."

The mistakes seem so obvious, especially those who are very bossy at the start. People don't like taking orders when there is no clear power structure and even then a lot of folks have trouble dealing with it.

That totally needed to happen. She was too loud, too early. Some of these people truly baffle me. A lawyer, you'd think, would have some idea about the way people work and think--they have to persuade juries. So to come on so strongly was poor play, from someone who was trained in law school to know better!! What a dumbass.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    The tribe she helped create booted her. That must make her feel good. I believe she was one of the stronger people on the tribe, and even though physically they still look good, I wonder if that's going to come back to haunt them in future challenges. I had tossed and turned on whether or not Jolanda would come off as loud mouthed and bossy, but didn't think it would be that early. Perhaps targeting Angie too quick and obviously isolated some of her tribe members, taking on a leadership role probably didn't help either (and then bringing up at TC that you wanted to be the leader, when it's obvious she was from the start) was just another nail in the coffin. I'm sad to see her go, though.

Yeah, Jo took a leadership role but, the tribe is so wishy washy! They didn't know which way to row!

I sooo disappointed that they voted her off. I hope Stephanie is next since they want to boot out "bossy, ringleading" women.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

being perceived as "bossy" will get you kicked off a whole lot quicker that being perceived as "weak". When will people learn?

She really was a bit much to take, IMO. I knew she was gonna get the boot & not Angie.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fan
    What is it about being a strong black woman that is so intimidating to people?
    When the other lawyer woman stood up and said that everyone had to either go find water, build shelter, or start a fire, she wasn't perceived as being to "bossy" or "loud".

I don't see any reason why Jolanda was voted off. It was Steph that instigated the whole thing. She was physically strong and a team player. She welcomed every member of her tribe (initially) and started to bring them all together. Even after they booted her she said I hope you guys win. I got the sense that she would have pulled that team together to win alot of challenges.
    It is their lose, and now I am rooting for the other tribe.

Some of the comments on this post by people have really shocked me. I guess in this day and age people still carry the same old sterotypes and hangups.

I think it would have been wiser to keep Jolanda around - if they were so concerned about her attitude, they could have taken her aside and dicussed it, advised her to tone it down a bit, or thrown a few votes her way to take her down a peg or two - but to vote off a very physically (and mentally) strong woman at the FIRST tribal council? :nono Not too smart in my book.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwatching2
    What is it about being a strong black woman that is so intimidating to people?
    When the other lawyer woman stood up and said that everyone had to either go find water, build shelter, or start a fire, she wasn't perceived as being to "bossy" or "loud".
    It has nothing to do with skin color - the other lawyer's bossiness did not cause her tribe to lose a challenge. The tribe fell behind during the challenge because Jolanda insisted on taking all of the supplies (although they left fire). That is the sole reason Stephanie targeted Jolanda.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast