+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Coby

Kao
    That's true, Maveno. Unfortunately there is a lot of it in the workplace, and just because people get older doesn't mean that they mature. Personally I can't stand the HS crap (especially when it's from people who obviously should know better) but some people just get stuck and there you go. The difference in the situations is that IRL you know that you are going home at the end of the day and you don't have to deal with idiots anymore. Poor Coby and Janu didn't have that luxury. They were stuck on the island (basically getting paid, but still) 24-7 non-stop with people who they couldn't stand anymore that you couldn't avoid because of the size of the camp and other people's paranoria (Look, so-and-so is going off by themselves! You know, I don't think they want to be a part of the group...) and where anything you do will be looked at with scrutiny. Look at how Katie went off about Coby taking Stephanie off by herself. For all she knew, he could have been talking about the weather, he could have wanted to get to know her better away from everyone else, it could have been a lot of reasons. I think Coby go to the point where he thought "The screwing I'm getting aint worth the screwing I'm getting, hey, I made my little bundle of cash, I'm ready to go" and got to the point where he just didn't give a damn anymore. If it was just him I would chalk it up to an attitude problem maybe but Janu got to that point she didn't care either, and I don't think that it was just because she was sick either...I think she was at the point where she openly LOATHED some of her castmates and just wanted to get the heck away from them. She said things that would make anyone want to vote her off (probably on purpose) and they kept her anyway, and she knew that she was being treated like a pawn and they would keep her this week too. So she threw a monkey wrench into the machine by putting down her torch which screwed up Gregg's plans, and if Steph starts an immunity run (which she might be capable of) they are going to be forced into cannibalizing themselves. The fact that Janu wanted to hang on long enough to get to the jury is telling in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    Poor Coby and Janu didn't have that luxury. They were stuck on the island (basically getting paid, but still) 24-7 non-stop with people who they couldn't stand anymore that you couldn't avoid because of the size of the camp and other people's paranoria (Look, so-and-so is going off by themselves! You know, I don't think they want to be a part of the group...) and where anything you do will be looked at with scrutiny. Look at how Katie went off about Coby taking Stephanie off by herself. For all she knew, he could have been talking about the weather, he could have wanted to get to know her better away from everyone else, it could have been a lot of reasons. I think Coby go to the point where he thought "The screwing I'm getting aint worth the screwing I'm getting, hey, I made my little bundle of cash, I'm ready to go" and got to the point where he just didn't give a damn anymore.
    I don't understand the continuing to portray Coby as the poor little victim of a mean tribe that didn't like him (janu either, for that matter.) Coby, himself, has advised that he was a catty little pain in the ass.

Sure, Coby could have been off talking to Stephenie about the weather, but he wasn't. He wasn't even pretending to be talking about the weather, as he was quite open about the fact that he just didn't care enough to hide his actions. If I remember correctly, he also had the same impression as Katie did when Tom, Ian, and Gregg were off talking at one point.

I would agree more with your summation if you had ended it with Coby thinking "the screwing I'm getting ain't worth the screwing I'm giving," or vice versa.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Kao
    The dynamics of this paticular Survivor is something that hasn't happened before. Normally, you don't have one team with damn near all of their members intact; you have either an even number of TCs on both sides or one side that has an advantage of 1-2 members at merge time, thereby giving castaways the opportunity to snuff out people who are lazy, that they can't stand, too strong, etc. With the exception of Williard (who was there for quite some time himself) the Koror team has stayed intact, which means that these people have had a while to work each others nerves without being able to do something about it (like go to tribal council and get rid of them). Had Ulong been able to pull their weight, Coby, Janu and possibly Caryn would probably had been long gone by now.

I'm not saying either one of them are victims of some sort of cruelty (that I know of, or what we've seen on the show). All I'm saying is that for whatever reason, they decided that a potential million dollars wasn't worth staying one minute longer on that island with the rest of their castmates, and decided to do whatever possible to get away. In Coby's case it was by being a pain in the ass, and in Janu's case it was by letting everyone know that she was tired of them and wanted to go home. When that didn't work she started blatantly being dislikable in the hopes of them sending her packing, even telling them at tribal council that she didn't give a damn about the game any more and couldn't care less if she went. When even THAT wouldn't work (as it was obvious that they were gunning for Stephanie this week) she laid down her torch after being reassured that she would be on the jury.
    Last edited by Kao; 04-26-2005 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    I'm not saying either one of them are victims of some sort of cruelty (that I know of, or what we've seen on the show). All I'm saying is that for whatever reason, they decided that a potential million dollars wasn't worth staying one minute longer on that island with the rest of their castmates, and decided to do whatever possible to get away. In Coby's case it was by being a pain in the ass,
    But again, you're implying that Coby was a pain the ass because he was tired of his teammates, when all indications (including Coby himself) were that he was a pain in the ass from the start.

Just like that proverbial chicken--egg story. And that is what I mean by "victim."

Kao
    Ah, I see what you mean now!

It did seem like he stepped up on the prickery more when Steph showed up though. But I agree, it did seem like he was always complaining about something.

Yeah, I think he definitely got to the point where he didn't care about anyone seeing him any longer. Before Stephenie he thought he was being sneaky.

+ Reply to Thread