+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

I've looked in the official site's FAQ and can't seem to find this answer:

What happens when there is a tie at Tribal Council? I've heard tales of a purple rock, but have no idea what that means. Can some kindly soul answer this for me, knowing I DID try to find out before I asked here??
    Many thanks.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2
    I've looked in the official site's FAQ and can't seem to find this answer:

What happens when there is a tie at Tribal Council? I've heard tales of a purple rock, but have no idea what that means. Can some kindly soul answer this for me, knowing I DID try to find out before I asked here??
    Many thanks.

mom2, it depends. On Survivor Marquesas they used a purple rock to break a tie by having Pappy and I think 2 others draw rocks out of a bag. Pappy drew the purple rock - the one they didn't want to draw. On the first or second season they broke ties by using whoever had gotten votes in previous tribal councils. I don't think there is any one rule for all the seasons - they would probably do something different this season than the purple rock or previous votes. It's really whatever producer Mark Burnett has decided to use for that particular season.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

The last couple of seasons, the contestants have confirmed that they've been told it'll come down to a purple rock for ties again, which seems to have prevented ties from happening.

Premium Member
    The previous responses are indeed correct, but, there is one point to note, which was alluded to in this season by one of the current Survivors. When Pappy was eliminated, there were 4 folks left and one had the immunity, the vote was 2 to 2, Pappy did not have a vote against him, but unlucky for him he did not have imminity either, yet 3 rocks were placed in a bag and Pappy had to draw one out anyway, which he did and he was eliminated (I think Pappy and Skupin are the only 2 never have a vote cast agaianst them, yet not make it to the final 2.)
    Needless to say, nobody wants a tie because they don't want to go the purple rock way, especially if they never had a vote cast against them in that particluar TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    The previous responses are indeed correct, but, there is one point to note, which was alluded to in this season by one of the current Survivors. When Pappy was eliminated, there were 4 folks left and one had the immunity, the vote was 2 to 2, Pappy did not have a vote against him, but unlucky for him he did not have imminity either, yet 3 rocks were placed in a bag and Pappy had to draw one out anyway, which he did and he was eliminated (I think Pappy and Skupin are the only 2 never have a vote cast agaianst them, yet not make it to the final 2.)
    Needless to say, nobody wants a tie because they don't want to go the purple rock way, especially if they never had a vote cast against them in that particluar TC.
    So if you have immunity- then your name won't be in the bag right? I was confused last week when Twila was telling Scout that she didn't want to end up doing the purple rock tie breaker- but Twila had immunity by then anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered to her, right?

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone
    So if you have immunity- then your name won't be in the bag right? I was confused last week when Twila was telling Scout that she didn't want to end up doing the purple rock tie breaker- but Twila had immunity by then anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered to her, right?
    From what I remember about the only purple rock situation, which occurred in S4 (FORT veterans can correct me if I am wrong) I believe Vecepia had immunity at the final 4 TC, Vecepia and Kathy voted Neleh, Pappy and Neleh voted Kathy, at that point rather than doing what they had done before which was boot the person with the most previous votes, they put the 3 who did not have immunity into the infamous rock pulling blunder, the rest is history.
    I do remember Twila making a comment about the purple rock, If she made it after she won immunity, then I did not realize that she already had immunity when she made the comment. If they use S4 as the standard, then she indeed would have been safe and had nothing to worry about. Good catch.

JR.
    But, Pappy did have the chance to change his vote. Jeff warned them that there would be consequences if they couldn't decide on their own.

So if you have immunity- then your name won't be in the bag right?
    Right

where's my rose garden? Covaleskie's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the whole purple rock business got started after S2 (Outback). In seasons 1 and 2, if there was a tie, then JP counted the number of votes a person had received in previous TC, but in S2, a Kucha member (Kimmi) let Ogakor know that someone had votes against him, so when the two tribes merged with even numbers, Ogakor knew who to vote for, but Kucha did not. It was a moment in the game that would eventually lead to a final three of only former Ogakor members.

I guess MB et. al. wanted to make sure that never happened again, hence the purple rock.
    There's always one in every bunch.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Covaleskie
    I'm pretty sure the whole purple rock business got started after S2 (Outback). In seasons 1 and 2, if there was a tie, then JP counted the number of votes a person had received in previous TC, but in S2, a Kucha member (Kimmi) let Ogakor know that someone had votes against him, so when the two tribes merged with even numbers, Ogakor knew who to vote for, but Kucha did not. It was a moment in the game that would eventually lead to a final three of only former Ogakor members.

I guess MB et. al. wanted to make sure that never happened again, hence the purple rock.
    Ok how the heck do you guys remember all the tribe names and all?

I can remember the locations and a few key players name. The ones that stood out, but that's about it and I have watched every Survivor. I'd be the first to lose at the memory challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Roz_City
    I do remember Twila making a comment about the purple rock, If she made it after she won immunity, then I did not realize that she already had immunity when she made the comment. If they use S4 as the standard, then she indeed would have been safe and had nothing to worry about. Good catch.

Yes, at that time Twila did have immunity because she and Scout were deciding who to vote off and when Twila made the purple rock comment, my first thought was that she had immunity, so it shouldn't have even mattered to her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast