+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or...

Your right, in every season i have watched(all but the first one) there have been some people that stand out. So far this season they have not really focused on any one person a whole lot. i am not sure if this season they wanted to make everyone even to keep us off guard or what. Hopefully soon they will give us more to get to know some people better. It did seem like they were trying to make Kory and Twila stand out but they did not keep us focused on that enough. i am hoping things do improve because i have heard allot of people just are not as into it this season. i am enjoying it myself, but i hope others are able to get into it also.

bjb

well amazon had really interesting people, but the whole jenna/heidi thing really turned me off.....had they been voted off like mid season i dont think i would have minded it too much....but yeah i was pretty P.O.'ed that jenna won amazon season

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but we just bought Season One and started watching it. Initially we were going to just watch it in a couple sittings (while the hurricanes were passing by, but then the DVD's got delayed), but we've decided to space it out. The biggest reason is because Season One is just so much better than the current season. Yeah, it's unpolished, and Jeff stammers, but it all adds character to the show. It's amazing how much "fluff" we get now compared to season one...a ton more character/personality development in one vs any recent one.

We still enjoy the current season, but we're all amazed at how different the show has become.

Interesting points, Tivoer.. I might have to go watch my DVDs all over again just to get the different feel.

I'm not ready to mail this season as "worst ever" (Marqueses wins that for me) ... but it has been a dull event so far.

I think I have enjoyed BB5 and Apprentice more than I have Survivor ... which would have been unthinkable to me a year ago.

I can't figure it out (maybe its the additional 2 ppl), but everything seems "rushed" to me ... I can't get a firm grip on who anyone is ... maybe that is due to thier lack of personalities, or they are playing it 'close to the vest'.

Maybe things will heat up with a swap.

Put the pieces together Quack-Wabbit's Avatar
    I didn't like Rich the first time I saw him, but when you watch him in All-Stars, Survivor Live, public appearances, etc., his arrogance is endearing. He knows he has the part of a character, and he plays it well. Plus, he knows it's just a game, so props for that. I like Rich a lot.

(Season one spoilers ahead- if you haven't finished the DVD, skip the paragraph)

Season one is very different compared to this season. Observe the first several people voted off solely based on who hinders the tribe from a survival aspect. At Pagong, no one even conceived the idea of an alliance until Joel attempted to band them together pre-merge. Not that it worked- they cast their votes in five different directions, literally.

See also the final jury speeches. Nowadays, it's a question of who played the game better. In season one, Rich made the argument that his strategy should be rewarded, while Kelly's was the exact OPPOSITE- she abstained from scheming, and should be rewarded for being the better person. Now, there's no ethical issues about an alliance, but in 2000, it was a lot more of a question mark.

(Spoilers end)

Onto the pressing matter of this season, and I'll concur with what I've heard so far- there's really no one to root for one way or the other. Chad would be an excellent underdog were it not for his complete lack of screen time. Lea's got some good strategy but it's overshadowed by his horrific social skills. What little strategic maneuvering has been shown of Lopevi can be credited to John Kenney, and the bellboy's already got his baggage ready.

The women are mostly forgettable or unlikable. I admire Scout's laidback persona, Ami's sly under-the-radar maneuvering (and in an effective "you-take-the-bullets-I'll-reap-the-benefits" a la Amber way, not a "I'll-just-float-to-the-end-hoping-I-don't-get-vited-off" a la Kim J. way), and Leann's work ethic... but so what? None of them is the next Kathy, Christy or Rupert.

For now, I'm pulling for Twila. She reminds me of one of my other favourite players, Helen from Thailand. Great work ethic, tough exterior, soft interior, would use the money well. I'm also behind Leann and Ami.

Paging MB: We need a hero. We're holding out for a hero...
    GREAT MOMENTS IN SURVIVOR HISTORY...

"Richard catching fish hasn't come into foreplay yet..."
    -- Susan Hawk

Hatch is a perfect example of why you need to watch Season One if you missed it. In All-Stars, he was a class-A butthead. In Season One, we've really come to like him (just finished ep 4 last night). So, he still has time to become a butt, but so far, he's really endeared himself to us.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    is this season kinda "blah"? This is the first time that I've never had someone to root for. I don't even care who wins this season. No one has made a positive impression on me. Scout & Chad (I think that's his name - the guy w/the prosthetic) seem like decent folks, but that may be b/c everyone else this season is so bland or annoying.
    So far, I'd say that it's shaping up far better than the 4th, 5th or 6th seasons- or even Survivor All-stars, for that matter. I have several people that I'm rooting for: Twila, Ami, Rory, Chris, LeAnne, Chad and Travis.

Now it is certainly possible that things could go downhill fast, but right now I'm enjoying this season quite a bit.

I'm with most of the posters... just takes time to develop a favorite. It's hard to have a fav with so many people in the game. As it dwindles down, it will get better. I still watch every episode and in time, a favorite/hero/villain will appear. I can't wait to see how it all works out for the men with the old vs. young strategy. Will they prevail in the end??

FORT Lurker
    I'm cheering for Eliza. She's hot! And definately not a villain.

A love-interest, maybe...

+ Reply to Thread