+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Judge Rules Against CBS

Judge Rules Against CBS

CBS Loses Bid to Stop ABC's Reality Show
    41 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge on Monday denied a bid by CBS Broadcasting, owner of the popular "Survivor" reality television show, to stop rival ABC from airing a competing television series called "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here."

U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska refused CBS's motion for an injunction after finding that it would be unlikely to prove that "Survivor" and "I'm a Celebrity" are substantially similar.

"I find the concept and the feel of the two shows to be different," said Preska, who spent more than two hours reading her ruling from the bench in Manhattan federal court.

CBS filed the copyright infringement suit in November seeking a court order stopping ABC from airing the show in the United States. Defendants in the suit are ABC, Granada Plc and Granada Entertainment USA. CBS is a unit of Viacom and ABC is a unit of Walt Disney Co .

In September, ABC and Granada announced an agreement to produce the series called "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me out of Here." The lawsuit alleges that "Celebrity," which was broadcast in the United Kingdom in August, directly copies the "format, look and feel" of Survivor.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

"I find the concept and the feel of the two shows to be different," said Preska, who spent more than two hours reading her ruling from the bench in Manhattan federal court.
    My goodness! She spent two hours reading her ruling. Sounds like she wants a show of her own and a two hour special at that.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

That was 2 hours of their lives that those poor people in the courtroom will never get back...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Maybe she was punishing the producers of Survivor for subjecting us to a grand total of 80 hours so far of our lives we can never get back?

(that's 12 shows per season, a recap show, a 2-hour finale and a reunion show, times 5)

+ Reply to Thread