+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Secrets about Survivor

10 Secrets about Survivor

This article was in my local paper yesterday (9/26) written by Mark Schwed...I found it quite interesting.

1. They have met before. Contestants run into each other at auditions, and if they make the final cut, wind up spending days together before heading off to the location. For the Pearl Islands show, CBS locked them all up in a Miami Beach hotel, with strict orders not to speak to one another. Handlers would march the castaways in single file down to the resaurant for food or to the beach to pose for publicity photos. But the players communicate without talking: sizing one another up, winking, looking for strengths and weaknesses --- in other words they're already playing the game.
    2. Their families know. Rupert didn't just kiss his wife and daughter goodbye and say "See you in 39 days." CBS allows contestants to tell immediate family members that they've been selected. But that's it. Many castaways have lost jobs because they couldn't tell their bosses.
    3. They have weeks to prepare. Contestants know up to two weeks in advance that they are probably finalists. Some use the time to get lean and mean. Others daydream about how they're going to spend the $1 million prize.
    4. They can be replaced. CBS makes it clear that if the contestants violate any rules---such as speaking to one another, before they actually begin the game, they will be dumped. Alternates are ready to fill any vacated spot.
    5. They get tips from pros. When they get to the location, medical personnel brief them on local dangers. Even though there have been sharks, snakes and other creepy critters at various "Survivor" sets, the chief concerns are always the same: dehydration, severe sunburn and mosquitos.
    6. They talk to Mark Burnett. The contestants are constantly trying to chat up crew memebers, but they're not allowed to talk. Only executive Producer Mark Burnett and host Jeff Probst speak to the castmates.
    7. They can avoid the cameras. The 300-plus crew members have comfortable housing, a tasty buffet, even a rocking bar. But a small rotating "remote" crew endures much harsher conditions, camping near the contestants and watching them virtually around the clock. Still, there aren't enough crews to keep up with all the contestants if they split into small groups. If they want privacy, all they have to do is sneak off when the crews are busy with others.
    8. Producers use stand-ins. For every challenge, stand-ins are used during rehearsal so the crew can set up shots. Sometimes, the stand-ins actually run the obstacle course or solve the puzzles to give producers an idea of where to place cameras.
    9. They may not form pacts. All survivors plot to create that perfect alliance. But they may not form a pact to split the prize money. Violators face a $5 million fine from CBS.
    10. They are bored out of their minds. In their first two days, they build a shelter. After that, they have absolutely nothing to do but replenish water, prepare food and compete in challenges, which gives them plenty of time to outwit, outplay, outlast and work on their tans.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    This article was in my local paper yesterday (9/26) written by Mark Schwed...I found it quite interesting.
    That IS very interesting. Who is Mark Schwed? Was he a former contestant?
    kitty-cats rule!

They seemed to be lacking lessons in fire making. I saw previously that they are shown how to build rudimentary shelters, I'm amazed every season that no one can make flames appear.

I'd think that any contestant who ever viewed the show would have taken the time to learn. How would the show change if the tribes started off with the ability to make fire and didn't spend up to a week as week shivering fools?

Does the crew comb the beaches to ensure that there aren't objects that have drifted in that could be utilized as a fire making aid?

I still can't understand how the men found it so easy to give up on making fire when all they had to do was continue until the task was complete. There are eight of them, doing continuous relay work would seem to be able to produce the desired effect.

Quote Originally Posted by leeinsmyrna
    That IS very interesting. Who is Mark Schwed? Was he a former contestant?
    According to my California paper, he is from the Palm Beach, Fla. Cox news service. I don't have any other information on him, other than I don't believe he was ever on the show. I believe he is a Florida journalist.

Two points of the article caught my attention: 1) I thought it was particularly funny that he should mention some of the 'talking' they do in the beginning is 'winking'. and 2) I have to wonder why once again Rupert is singled out.

Leftcoaster--I am in total agreement with you. Fire making would be the FIRST thing on my list of things to know before I ever got on the airplane. It continues to boggle my mind, too.
    Last edited by roseskid; 09-27-2004 at 04:49 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Jay
    I read the same article. Mark Schwed claims to have flown to two Survivor locations, Borneo's Pulau Tiga and Panama's Pearl Islands.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    But the players communicate without talking: sizing one another up, winking, looking for strengths and weaknesses --- in other words they're already playing the game.
    I wouldn't put a whole lot into that. How much can you get without talking to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    I wouldn't put a whole lot into that. How much can you get without talking to someone?
    Oh, I understand. I'm just putting it out there, trust me. I'm not endorsing anything he says........I've never met him, don't know anything about him, I just found it interesting and thought I'd share.

Hmmm....I had to listen to a lot of talk about the casting process for Big Brother, which is a similar situation. I would say that "they're already playing the game" is an exagerration. They were divided by gender first, so the girls never got to see the boys beforehand. They had individual handlers and did things in groups (like sharing a ride in a van from place to place) with each person only speaking to their handler. They made it sound like there were dozens of candidates around them. Out of all the people that made it on the show only two of the girls (Karen and Holly) had been in the same group, although they figured out that Diane's twin sister Lindsey had been in their group too (she didn't make the show). So it's not like they were all sizing each other up before the show.

But his point that they don't just show up out of the blue is taken.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I found this about Mark Schwed at http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/schwed.cnna/

Mark Schwed is a national writer for TV Guide, with over 25 years of journalism experience. He is a former wire service and newspaper writer. Schwed also writes a column, "Hollywood Grapevine," which is published weekly.

I remember reading (long ago) in TV Guide about one of their writers visiting the Survivor set. Guess it was him!?

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    These aren't really secrets. The only one that I didn't know about was the one about the stand ins. The other issues have been talked about in various other articles.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast