+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Matthew Von Ertfelda - Survivor 6 Contestant

I read his bio. Hotel Administration and cooking school...these mitigate, somewhat, his [Hotel] Ritz reference, which struck me as pretentious and affected. Who wouldn't know that a room at the Ritz--owned by the Sultan of Brunei(?)--would set the patron back many hundreds of dollars/night. If Matthew can afford to frequent such an place, he might not want to let such references slip amongst the Survivor rabble, as they might be reluctant to give the prize of final Survivor to a person of such means. On the other hand, if he can't afford lifestyles of the rich and famous...well, anyway, such referencing wouldn't be a character trait I would find redeeming. In my opinion, the trouble with travel outside of the momentary diversion offered is that once there, we are almost universally still ourselves. Reminds me to "what if": what if Socrates had just taken more leave of Athens...that ol' boy might have actually made something of himself!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    He worked there , he didn't own it. I think the others can tell the diff.

There's a cooking school at the Ritz? Or he worked at the Ritz?
    Yes, that would tend to mitigate things even more. However, if the choice were between Matthew and a less elitist/benefiited Survivor, I'd have to vote against Matthew unless the other finalist had been a complete pri**...uh, pardon my French, unless the other finalist had been a complete prig.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by fluff
    So basically he's pretty well travelled as compared to many a hick that's never left their home town.
    Fluff!

His standoffish, anonymous-style attitude may also come from living in the DC area. Everyone here is like that.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I thought it was Alex who made the comment aobut the Ritz.
    He definitely said the shelter "isn't the Ritz".
    Did Matthew mention the Ritz too?
    "That's Numberwang!"

I may have recorded Trading Spaces over episode 2, fluff. I thought Matthew made the comment. I am certainly open to correction. If Matthew's ritzy background(?) becomes common knowledge in the group--as in Matthew's work/vacation history coming into play as a metaphor or whatever-- I'd say he has no chance of winning the million. Bookmark this post and make me eat crow when he wins the million.

Last edited by Tuluminous; 02-23-2003 at 01:08 PM.

Um, I just wanted to point out that "It isn't the Ritz" is a common term - or used to be. So, the person using this term, doesn't necessarily have to have BEEN at the Ritz. I've used the term myself, although not for several years. (And, I've definitely never been to the Ritz!)
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

How has Matthew gotten 4 pages already? I don't think he's even been on camera yet.

Princess
    jodaar!

Originally posted by USMCmum
    Um, I just wanted to point out that "It isn't the Ritz" is a common term - or used to be. So, the person using this term, doesn't necessarily have to have BEEN at the Ritz. I've used the term myself, although not for several years. (And, I've definitely never been to the Ritz!)
    Exactly.
    I've never been to Vegas but I know it's glitzy.

Also I think whether or not your team mates would vote you off if they felt you didnt need the money depends on a number of factors.
    Look at Brian last year for unstance.
    I would imagine bankrupt Clay could have used the cash far more than Brian but that didn't seem to play into anyone's decision making.

+ Reply to Thread