+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Matthew Von Ertfelda - Survivor 6 Contestant

Cornell Student Tackles Survivor

By ERICA TEMEL
    Cornell Daily Sun

Oftentimes a senior feels like he or she is a Cornell survivor, making it past all the work and commitments to graduate. Now Cornell students have an actual "survivor" of their very own, namely Cornell alumnus Matthew Von Ertfelda '94, a contestant on the current season of the popular reality TV series Survivor.

Von Ertfelda's very diverse background helped him land a spot in the Tambaqui tribe in the Amazon, where the show was taped for this season. Born in Hong Kong, Von Ertfelda has lived all over the globe, including Taipei, Taiwan; Paris, France and South Dartmouth, Massachusetts. He speaks English, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, French and German.

In addition to being multilingual, Von Ertfelda has gone on many exotic excursions that have prepared him well to compete on Survivor: The Amazon, including treks though unmapped areas of New Guinea and through the Darien Gap, a stretch of jungle between Panama and Colombia known for its low survival rate. Von Ertfelda also keeps himself in peak physical condition, competing in marathons and triathlons. All of these characteristics drew CBS executives to the Cornell graduate.

"Matthew Von Ertfelda is a charming, well-traveled individual with many life experiences from all over the world. Although he admitted to not having seen the show before he participated in Survivor: The Amazon, he was very enthusiastic and eager to embark on the adventure of a lifetime," said Colleen Sullivan, CBS director of publicity.

A student at the School of Hotel Administration, Von Ertfelda made both the dean's list and the Golden Key National Honor Society during his time at Cornell. He graduated with a bachelor of science degree with distinction. In addition to his Cornell degree, Von Ertfelda also holds a culinary diploma with honors from L'Ecole de Gastronomie Franšaise Ritz-Escoffier in Paris, France. Von Ertfelda currently designs restaurants and bars for Marriott International, based in Bethesda, Maryland, and lives in Washington, D.C. He also works as a freelance model.

While famous alumni are not uncommon at Cornell, students who watch Survivor are very excited that a Cornell graduate is on the show.

"I think it's about time Cornell is represented on Survivor; Cornell students have all that it takes to win," said Laura Scheckner '06. "A winner on Survivor needs all the qualities that a Cornell student has: perseverance, determination and wit ... which is why Matthew Von Ertfelda will win."

Other students who do not normally watch the show admit that seeing a Cornell alum compete is appealing.

"I'd probably tune in to the first show, but because I don't know the person I probably wouldn't watch anymore afterwards," said Dylan Greif '06.

No stranger to the media, Von Ertfelda was named one of People Magazine's top fifty bachelors of 2002, an honor he called "kind of a fluke but a fun ride" in his Survivor audition tape.

Because of the nature of the show, viewers must tune in each week to see if Von Ertfelda will remain as a competitor in the Amazon, or if he will face early departure by being voted off the show.

Matthew, man of intrigue and sophistication, fishing is your "fort" not your "for-tay". Sign me, a "hick" in Texas.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    No stranger to the media, Von Ertfelda was named one of People Magazine's top fifty bachelors of 2002, an honor he called "kind of a fluke but a fun ride" in his Survivor audition tape.
    Wow, did anyone else know this?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Saw it on the DVD, Bravo.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Ah, is that the one you could get preseason at Saturn dealerships?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Precisement, mon amie.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I was just listening to Jeff Probst's radio show. He had an interesting take on Matt's machete antics. He thought Matt was just bored & sharpening his machete to kill time. Then he noticed how people were getting creeped out by it & started playing it up, messing with their minds. So Jeff thought the whole psycho thing was just an act. Too funny if it was.

Well if anyone could pull off a psycho act it would be Matthew. He does have a creepy sinster look about him. I hope he can pull something out of this or at least do something to Rob to stop Rob from laughing at him to his face.

(although I do think Matthew could be the lizzerd King in human form)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Regular
    Okay, here's what I hope...that Matthew makes a big ole A$$ out of Rob at some point very soon! Rob is such a twit. I think it would be a riot to find out that Matthew was just playing with everyone, and succeeded at it! Time will tell if it was a strategy, and (more importantly) if it was a GOOD strategy...

FORT Newbie
    Or, is there more being read into the psycho persona than really is? Maybe he realizes he doens't have a chance with the people left there and just doesn't care. Why the psycho persona? Get me out of here quick!! I don't know. Just another possibility. Time will tell.

+ Reply to Thread