+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Jenna Morasca - Survivor 6 Contestant

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I noticed that too, mrscience. What's up with the YOUR A MILLIONAIRE.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Mrscience, please don't complain about people's grammatical skills. It's so petty, and we don't do that here.

In addition, Oceansands was just quoting what someone else posted, it wasn't his/her own words.

In addition to that, please don't bash or flame other members of the site. Contestants are fair game, members are not. This is clearly spelled out in our membership rules.

I'm sorry.

Thanks John, I should have copied the whole quote.

I love this board because there isn't any member bashing. Everyone is always civil. I appreciate being able to participate and voice my opinions about the contestants either good or bad. I love the smilies too.

True, everyone makes typos, especially if they are typing fast. This isn't spelling or grammar class and most things we all should and do let slide. But I think when people are clearly misinformed about certain words and make the same error time after time, then it isn't a mistake anymore, and it is not an attack or insult in those cases to show that person the correct way to spell certain similar words that seem to constantly be written wrong (you're and your; lose and loose; moot and mute; ad and add are the ones I see over and over again). I agree, the way you correct someone can be tactful or obnoxious depending on how you approach it, but I don't think it's completely bad to correct the most prevalent abuses just for the sake of improving general knowledge.

Or maybe I'm wrong and there is NO good way to correct someone without making them defensive and we should leave well enough alone. But at least I got to make a list of the mistakes that bug me. Thanks.

Only one of those bugs me, but I wouldn't correct someone publicly about anything like that. I might send them a PM, politely explaining their error, but these days I'm more likely to just let it slide.

Back in "the day", I would send webmasters e-mails correcting several of those errors. I thought it looked terribly unprofessional to have "we don't want to loose your business" on a web site.

Jenna winning

Hey everyone, its my first post héhé! Well im just going to say that Jenna was a verry diserving winner 100%!!!
    "I swear to drunk, I'm not god!"

FORT Fogey
    So Matt and Jenna aren't dating? Gah! I don't know what to think anymore!

Joe16, I like your quote!

Trust me, I've spelled you're as your many times when I'm typing fast and don't mean to. I know how it's supposed to be. And some people aren't good spellers no matter what, like my dad!

Originally posted by Xantham Gum
    But I think when people are clearly misinformed about certain words and make the same error time after time, then it isn't a mistake anymore, and it is not an attack or insult in those cases to show that person the correct way to spell certain similar words that seem to constantly be written wrong.
    It would be more correct to say "written wrongly." Sorry, Xanthan Gum. I couldn't resist.

As an English teacher, I know what it's like to try to correct other people (who are not my students) and have them glare back. There're only so many times in which you can say WHOM and not get your limbs lopped off in a "freak accident" and still keep your friends. Sadly, I make a ton of grammatical mistakes all the time, look here's one in this sentence. I make mistakes, and others make mistakes, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when they do make them. I totally can see where you're coming from, homie(Xanthan) G. At some point, you just build up tolerance. People don't like to be "fixed," eh?

+ Reply to Thread