+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Christy Smith - Survivor 6 Contestant

hey every body.

I do know Christy Smith, She is hard of hearing she speaks on her voices. she is doing great.

DC
    Daniel F. Cunningham

Originally posted by John
    Christy's profile has been updated with official CBS info.

THey say she's married, and then later say she's single, and they spelled her name wrong on the photo caption. Great preparation.
    Wow, with all the misinformation, you'd think this was a FOX show.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Sam I am

Christy Smith...

Hi All. I just found this forum.

I am actully friends with Christy. Well, I should say we were friends. We lost touch after she left the area for CO.

I have been reading a bit of what has been posted. Christy calls herself Deaf, b/c she is part of that culture. And if she takes out her hearing aids, she cannot hear at all. Hearing Impaired is definitely cool, as said before. Christy really taught me a lot about Deaf Culture and helped me practice my one semester of ASL.

I hope she does well on the show! She rocks the world!

Nice to be here and I look forward to what goes on here.
    -SAM

and I will see if I can dig up a really funny picture I have of her from her work here at Hemlock Overlook.
    Last edited by grlsctgnbad; 02-11-2003 at 05:49 PM.

Hi Sam, glad you found us and welcome to the site

I saw Jiff on The View yesterday and he said that Christy didn't want the men to find out she was deaf, so they worked out that she would signal to him (by scratching her ear or chin) if she needed any reward or immunity challenge instructions repeated.

He said he started to really over annunciate and speak to slowly and she looked at him as if to say "I'm deaf, not stupid".
    I thought that was a sweet story.

It'll be really interesting to see how she does.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I read something (not sure if I posted it here) where Jeff said that he was talking really slowly and over-enunciating at the Tribal Council, because the light was so bad from the torches. He said he watched the tape later and said "geez, I sounded like I was in kindergarten."

Welcome, Sam! If you find that picture, either post it or e-mail it to me at admin@fansofrealitytv.com and I'll post it for you.

I think it was very good of him to think about her position in the game and respect her wish to keep her hearing issue from the men.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think it's great that Jeff would do something like that. If going out of his way to let Christy hear everything was his call, then kudos to him - I really respect that.

Though it's easy to look at Christy as someone who should have expected that her disability would work against her in the social aspects of the game, I must say that I still felt really bad for her. That first night when everyone was talking around the fire, and Christy couldn't read lips because of the low-lighting, I felt bad for her. But when I saw tears in her eyes from the frustration she was expressing to the camera, I just wanted to hug the poor girl right there. I agree with her statement the next day that she couldn't let the hearing be an issue everyday, because that would clearly work against her.

And so it looks like she'll have to keep a stiff upper lip and do her best to guess what the team decides on. Sadly, she'll have to make her hearing problem a non-issue for the rest of the game, because survivor contestants have always jumped on the physically disabled and/or sick people of their tribe, rationalizing to themselves and the camera that "it was for the poor guy/gal's own good to be voted out".
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I felt so bad for her.
    At this stage, the name of the game is really team-work, they have a strong, fit and eager tribemate who is being under-utilised because they don't appear to be taking the extra few seconds to modify their behaviour to include her.
    "That's Numberwang!"

searching for reality voyager265's Avatar
    I don't care for the way they are portraying her. She say's that she doesn't want being deaf to be an issue with her tribe but then when she is left standing by the fire alone..we are supposed to think her tribe is heartless (especially Heidi). Why didn't she speak up and ask what everyone was doing or just tag along with one of the groups. I see that as her isolating herself. Each person there is in an insecure postion and has to find their place in the tribe on their own by proving themselves. I think she has to do the same thing.

I feel that they aren't allowing me to judge her based on who she is. I understand that being deaf is part of who she is but it shouldn't be ALL she is. I want to know what she is like without feeling that if I don't like her, I can say so without it being a politically incorrect thing to say.

So far the only emotion they have made me feel with the way they have shown Christy is pity... and I don't believe that could possible be what Christy would want.
    Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

FORT Newbie
    You shouldn't feel sorry for Christy. Feel sorry for all those who left her alone standing by the fire. She would be the best person to form an alliance with. I wish I was there. She has already stole my heart. I wish her the best of luck

+ Reply to Thread