+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Christy Smith - Survivor 6 Contestant

Welcome, localhead. Looking forward to your insight & comments. Christy does seem to have an impressive bio. I hope she's as sweet as she sounds.

FORT Newbie
    "insight & comments"

Well, one more insight for now--"hearing-impaired" is rather a demeaning term, at least from the perspective of many deaf people.... It seems to indicate that our ears are literally broken but can be fixed, viz. we can be made into speakers with just some training and the like. Not a reality for many deaf people--and they simply don't hear. Just accept the fact and call them deaf. There are many hard-of -hearing people among ourselves, including myself (technically, with a hearing aid on, I can hear at a 30 db level, the termination of human hearing being at a 110 or 120 db level)--Christy is such a person, hard-of-hearing. And she's still a "deaf" person, maybe "oral" sometimes, when she speaks, but at Gallaudet University, she was not thought of as "hearing-impaired." "Hearing-impaired" has the underlying implication that we are IMPAIRED from everything that a "normal" person can do.

Do "normal" people who can hear think of themselves as "hearing" people or does it simply not occur to them? Maybe they'd be surprised to know that from within the deaf community, they're seen as the "other" just as much as they see the deaf person as the "other" the one who is different from themselves--and the deaf person's label for people who can hear is "Hearing." And it's not always a nice label, especially when coming from deaf people who have suffered oppression of their individualities and been discriminated against repeatedly when they try to find jobs. That's why a lot of deaf people are on welfare, and why state schools for the deaf and Vocational Rehabiliation exist--to try and get them into paying jobs so that they can lead real lifes, not just exist as second-class citizens subject to the whims of whatever "normal" hearing people consider them capable of.

It's a hard reality for deaf people, struggling with other people's misconceptions of their abilities, and you know, Christy's profile states that she wants to promote deaf awareness--that's why I'm here, on this thread, to see what I can do, in that vein.

anyway, I'm off for the time being--see what y'all have to say later. toodles.

Localhead, thanks for adding your comments! It's great to have someone here who knows her.

My ONLY concern for Christy is that she may get left out of the subtle tribal conversations that help alliances form. People may be hesitant to pull her aside to talk to her, not knowing exactly how to handle it.

Christy can overcome that if she's really clear up front about her disability and how people should "handle" it.

Also, Jeff likes to yell out further instructions or helpful comments during challenges, and I wonder if that will negatively impact Christy at all.

But I agree, she's got a large built-in fan base. People have been asking for 5 seasons to include someone with a disability (besides being an idiot, like normal), and they finally got their wish. Let's hope the experiment is a success. Christy so far sounds like she's a great person, and hasn't let her disability effect her life.

Welcome to the site localhead, your posts made for excellent and informative reading.

I think Christy might well be the first Survivor to have an instant fan base.

John raises a couple of points that I will also be interesting in seeing, i.e. how other people will react to her and the practical concern of whether she will find herself in difficulty because Jiff has been shouting out further instructions to a challenge.

I imagine, unlike the final five in S5 who made a big hash of a reward challenge because they didn't listen to what Jiff said, she is used to concentrating more on instructions because she is reading the lips of the person giving them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I wonder if her ability to lip-read will be seen as a threat to the schemers. It could work for her or against her. Hard to say, but I look forward to watching.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Wow localhead, I had no idea "hearing impaired" was such a slur. According to dictionary.com it means:
    adj
    (1) Having a diminished or defective sense of hearing, but not deaf; hard of hearing
    (2) Completely incapable of hearing; deaf

n
    (1) Persons who are deficient in hearing or are deaf
    But if it indeed offends people, I'll drop it from my vocabulary. Thanks for enlightening us with your point of view.

FORT Fogey
    Welcome to the sight Localhead, its nice to find out the scoop from someone who knows someone. I also think it is great to know that Christi's deafness does not define her it is mearly a part of who she is. It will be really great to watch how she plays the game and I would imagine that at some times she will be able to use her deafness to her advantage in situations to read lips to see what is being said in "secret alliances" and to get sleep despite the surroundings. I hope it gives her an advantage rather than deters her in her play! It appears by her bio that she has done this in life allready and I hope the other players don't under estimate her and her abilities to be a major player. I will be writing the shadow colum or contribution on Christi and would love any great info you can share on her ! It is all positive I promise as we are not a slamming sight! It will be my job to sort of report specifically and only on Christi , how she is doing, what she might be thinking etc. I requested her as my person to write about as I found her bio to be the most interesting and I thought her tenacity to go for the show would be a great persont to shadow and write about! Thanks for the info ! Hope you enjoy the site!

Another interesting fact about Galludet: The football huddle originated there when GU players realized the other team was reading their sign language during time outs and intercepting their plays.

I like Christy's bio and favorites (except for Julia Roberts, but I digress). She seems like a sweet girl, possible 'America's Sweetheart' potential.

Hope her deafness doesn't cause any problems for her along the way.

christy smith.

Originally posted by John
    Christy on the Early Show today, signing as she spoke. She spoke fairly clearly, but you could tell that she can't hear.

[IMG]images/user/es_s6_christy.jpg[/IMG]
    Daniel F. Cunningham

+ Reply to Thread