+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: *Debate* Is Survivor really just a game?

*Debate* Is Survivor really just a game?

Let me start this post by saying...I am totally playing devil's advocate here. I am interested to know what most of the FORT people think.I am always interested in opposing opinions,thoughts,and theories.

That said,let's get down to it!

I have read many posts from the wonderful people at FORT and I feel that the major conscensus here at FORT is..it is just a game.

But is it really?

Let me just throw out there Survivor is a game like no other. The contestants must build a society together with limited food and comforts and outside distractions,which is way different than..say a game of chess or Clue. The environment presented in Survivor provides many obstacles. There is no food,no contact with the outside world,nothing that resembles 'society 'at all;except for the relationships that are formed.

If it really is 'just a game' could real friendships be formed? Could real adverserial realtionships be formed? (think Kel vs. Jerri) Could two contestant fall in love? (you know who)When is the last time you played a game of chess and you ended up falling in love with your opponent? When is the last time you played checkers and ended up hating the person you were playing against?

My point is,although many people are quick to say, 'It's just a game',there are real life things that happen in Survivor. People do fall in love,people do end up disliking each other. There are real friendships that are formed and broken within Survivor.Real things can and have happened. Is it like Jeff Probst said...'people draw their own personal lines with how far they will go'?

What do you think? Try not to think idealistically. Of course,ideally, if I were a contestant on Survivor, I would love to think that I could be strong enough to vote for the winner based on 'strategy' and not feelings. I have given Kathy a lot of credit for being able to see past her personal feelings and voting for the best player to win in All Stars. I had to take a real personal inventory and figure out if I could be as strong as she was, and I realized that I didn't know. I can be emotional and I can be logical. How would I vote? How would you vote?

When it comes to a game like Survivor,is it really just a game?
    Last edited by mrcorkles; 05-20-2004 at 04:09 AM.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

It is really "just a game" IMO.

You form, manipulate and break relationships in order to go further into the game. If one forms a friendship, and one is "heart-broken" by someone who betrays their trust (*cough*Lex*cough) then obviously they do not understand the dynamics of Survivor.

Outwit, Outlast, and Outplay - basic rules!

Yes it is true, these 16 (18 in All Stars) have to build relationships in order to communicate and be a team. Of course, humans being humans some will either be really liked or vice-versa. It's really up to the person's behaviour.

But yes. Like you state, it IS easy to say "it's just a game" yes 'real" friendships have been formed, and have gone down for many years (in All Stars' case) However, if a TRUE friend would understand, that the person was playing a game. And if that person was a true friend, he would truly understand why that person acted as such (ROb + Lex) Sadly, he didn't see it that way.

Anyhow, that sounded confusing, but that's just my take on the game.

It's a game. We haven't heard much in regards to sour grapes from anyone until All Stars. I think this season was an anomaly, because everyone (except Rupert) knew each other. The game usually starts off with strangers.. by not having strangers, these people had to basically forget that they are friends, and play the game like strangers. It was obviously harder to do for some than others, and harder to do than those of us watching thought.

It's a game in the same fashion as poker, or monopoly. There is an element of skill and an element of luck, along with rules to the game. One area where survivor is unique is that it lasts 40 days where many other games may last 40 minutes.

It's still a game. The contestants conduct during the game (as long as it falls within the rules) can not be used against them. For instance, courts have heard and upheld verbal agreements between two parties. Verbal agreements between Survivor contestants would not be eligible to be heard by the courts because the agreements are part of a game.
    The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

It's a game.

I still think two people who treat it as a game could end up with a friendship, even if one had to backstab the other. OUTWIT.

Further, since it is just a game, I don't think it reflects much at all about someone outside of the game. Everyone who wins has to be dishonest at somepoint in the game. Some more than others.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Newbie
    It is a game.

However, there are definitely chances for life changing moments when you put people into such an extreme situation. Like Keith having a life defining moment and realizing that he should propose to his fiance. Or Frank finding peace and solitude in Africa.

I don't think its possible to live 24 hours a day with people for that long without creating some kind of bond.

Whether you let that bond affect your game play is up to you.

I agree that all stars was unique in that the players knew each other well before going in. But it was still a game

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Colombian
    The contestants conduct during the game (as long as it falls within the rules) can not be used against them.

I may be twistinterpreting your post here but....

Your conduct in this game can and WILL be held against you at final tribal council. This has played a role in every season. It's what makes this game so fascinating. It's not just simple physical and mental puzzle solving. You have to solve the puzzle of your tribemates. If the final 9 are all about game play and win-at-all-costs, then you will have to play that way. If the final 9 are all about honesty and integrity, you had better lean that way if you want a chance at the million.

I think Survivor was just a game until it got kind of personal on the All Star edition.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by tofujoe
    I may be twistinterpreting your post here but....

Your conduct in this game can and WILL be held against you at final tribal council. This has played a role in every season. It's what makes this game so fascinating. It's not just simple physical and mental puzzle solving. You have to solve the puzzle of your tribemates. If the final 9 are all about game play and win-at-all-costs, then you will have to play that way. If the final 9 are all about honesty and integrity, you had better lean that way if you want a chance at the million.
    You got it tofujoe. It is just a game, but interpersonal relationships are a part of the game and perhaps the most difficult aspect of the game to play. That is where Rob played really poorly in All Stars, and Tina excelled at in Austrailia.
    I really think the game is made up of three parts.
    First, the mental game. Strong players include Rob C, Rob M., Rich H, and Colby, Amber etc.
    Second, the physical game. Examples include, Rob M., Rupert, Colby, etc.,
    Third, the relationship game. Strongest include, Tina, Ethan, Sandra etc.

Players who have done the best have often excelled at all three aspects of the game. (though not always the physical). Players who have lost near the end generally neglected the relationship aspect of the game... Rob M. being the best example, but also Lex in Africa. Brian H. won only because he took someone more hated then himself to the final two. If he had sat with someone else, he would have lost like Rob M. and Lex.
    Tina is one of my favourite players. She had an excellent mental game (letting Colby do the dirty work), was strong (lasted forever on the pole and swimming for the rice), and was well respected by others.

That being said, I think the hardest part of Survivor would be separating yourself from the relationships you formed and playing objectively, and I respect anyone who can do it.

FORT Lurker
    Game! (?)

I suppose it depends on the definition of a game (vs. sport, vs. television event, vs. whatever). If you're comparing "game vs. real life," then it's just a game (who goes away to exotic locales for a month!?). If you're comparing it to "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," then it's ... well, actually it's still a game, just with different rules.

Never mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast