+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *Debate* Is Survivor really just a game?

Reality Fanatic
    Thank you! I'm happy to be here, I'm a total reality nut...looks like I found the right place. WHY it took me so long to start posting I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    Q: Is Survivor really just a game?
    A: Yes
    I'm glad you thought that through BravoFan!

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

FORT Newbie
    I disagree. Although technically it is just a game, it has consequences that will attach itself onto the person for the rest of their life, especially when pre-existing relationships are involved. An analogy can be drawn to a real life work situation. If you screw a workmate over to get ahead in your career, you have to live with the consequences. If you believe that your actions can be justified by the "it's just work" mentality, then thats entirely your business, but just don't expect the workmate to feel the same.

FORT Newbie
    Also, while some people of relative power may admire your ability to do exactly what it takes to get to the top of the job, there wil always be some that will reprimand you for doing anything it takes to get there. Regardless of whether your playing survivor though, or working, you must be aware that people will form opinions about you from your actions. I just don't see the difference in saying "It's just work. I'm not like that in real life" and "It's just a game. I'm not like that in real life", though I am aware that work plays a bigger part in someone's life than a game of survivor does.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Sorry, Bayo, I'm not willing to blur the line that much. I think the work analogy is not good because work is a far more indefinite situation, and is a person's livelihood. Survivor is of short duration and is a potential windfall. There is a difference between obstructing someone's progress at work and obstructing someone's progress in Survivor; you erode or take away their livelihood there, and there is no reason to expect that they should be "mature adults" and be friends afterward. But Survivor is something everyone can engage and walk away from, and as mature adults ought to be able to reconcile differences created inside the competition. Why hold a grudge over something that wasn't going harm you for an extended, indefinite period of time? Blurring the lines makes childishness too easy.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

FORT Newbie
    But can you put aside all feelings and realisms because something only goes for a short period of time? Take a look at Heidi. She put aside her life as a teacher, to play in the game of Survivor. Though her actions were in the bounds of the game, her decisions on the show definitely affected her reality. No longer is she working as a teacher, arguably because people held her accountable for her actions. Her stripping down for food was what she thought was required of her to play the game survivor - winning at all costs. Clearly, this affected her real life, so you can't divorce the game from reality.

Well, both Heidi and Jenna were idiots because no one told them to strip down. The food was going to be offered to all of them, but they both chose to make fools of themselves on National TV.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    Q: Is Survivor really just a game?
    A: Yes

That's the way I see it, BF.
    People sign up for this show knowing full and well that they might have to do things that they are not proud of to get to the finals. Of course, feelings will get hurt during the game. Everyone is human, afterall, but the good players are able to put aside their feelings, and realize that the actions others took against them were just a means to get to the million dollars. Those that take everything personal should ask themselves if they would've done the same thing to get to the finals or better yet, they should NOT have signed up to play if they couldn't handle being outwitted. It's as simple as that to me.
    Last edited by Wolf; 05-24-2004 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bayolip
    But can you put aside all feelings and realisms because something only goes for a short period of time? Take a look at Heidi. She put aside her life as a teacher, to play in the game of Survivor. Though her actions were in the bounds of the game, her decisions on the show definitely affected her reality. No longer is she working as a teacher, arguably because people held her accountable for her actions. Her stripping down for food was what she thought was required of her to play the game survivor - winning at all costs. Clearly, this affected her real life, so you can't divorce the game from reality.
    I think that you're really stretching....Survivor is a game...just like Poker is a game. More than a few lives were snuffed-out around card tables back in the Old West. The game of Poker didn't require players to kill each other but some contestants made that decision independent of the rules of play. For the dead or wounded players at least, their lives were 'changed' forever.

Similarly, Survivor players may 'choose' to participate in unconventional behavior during the 'game'. That doesn't make Survivor a non-game, it just illustrates that people have free agency and that all decisions are subject to the rule of choice and accountability, whether that behavior happens at home, work, play, or any other venue.
    The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

FORT Newbie
    It is a game, not "real life" even though the consequences of their actions follow the players after the game. Remember, they know before they are dropped off that it is a game: that there is a monetary reward at the finish; that it will last a specified amount of time (including the number of days until the next contestant is gone); and that they will need to use whatever tools they have in their personality/skills to get to the finish. Not so if you were actually trying to survive and had to find food, fresh water, dig a latrine, set up a signal fire to be found, etc (think Castaway with Tom Hanks).

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayolip
    When you put aside work to play a highly visible game like Survivor, the consequences of what you did are naturally going to affect you. Games and work are two different things that occur in real life. The attributes of one might affect the other, but it shouldn't go both ways. It's not a game if every bit of history or baggage haunts you... and then we would have no games whatsoever. Like the poker discussion above - it's money, but is it worth taking someone's life for?
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast