+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that bother me about these posts

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by Miss F: Not too long ago I posted a picture of myself on this forum, only to have people make fun of me on a splinter board because of it. It really hurt, but had I not put my picture out there.....
    Miss F, let me just say that I can guess which splinter board you are talking about. Whether I'm right or not, whoever chose to make fun of your appearance is clearly a bitter, blind fool. I saw the picture you posted, and while I could guess from your posts that you're a beautiful person on the inside, your picture proved that you are on the outside as well. And I'm sure that all the folks here would agree with my sentiments.

Frankly, you're like the adorable, hockey-loving, Canadian sister I never had. If you'd been my sister I would have constantly been getting into fights with guys that said "Dude, your sister is hot!
    Last edited by Wayner; 11-26-2002 at 04:05 PM.

And I'm sure that all the folks here would agree with my sentiments.
    I'll add an agreement to that, Miss F.

As for making jokes about the Survivor's appearances, I am basically in agreement with everyone else. If you put yourself out there, you take the bad with the good.

That said, I think it's wrong to CONSTANTLY make those comments, as if it's the only thing that's being focused on.

Thank you very much Wayne & Karlie. That means a lot. Unfortunately, it's easier to remember the negative things said than the nice ones, but I appreciate it.

Back to the topic.. I think Bill summed it up best.
    The Clay jokes for example are becoming more and more common as his personality continues to show a little napoleon complex going on.

Erin has had her share of jokes about her "attributes", but actually I would argue that those have been relatively subdued due to the fact that she seemed to conduct herself with dignity on the show.

For a counter example of that, look at S4 and Sarah, or BB3 and Tonya. Both of these women were equally endowed via surgery, and yet they were consistently trashed as slutish, bascially because that is how they behaved.
    Bingo. Especially Tonya. All Tonya talked about was how sexy she was. No, you have big breasts and that is ALL there is to you. Erin also was stacked, but fortunately, she had a sweet personality that was able to detract a bit from her obvious assets.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by Miss Filangi
    I think Bill summed it up best.

It is quotes like that one, that have taught me to appreciate the remarkable intelligence that Miss F. displays here everyday.

On a serious note, I recall seeing your photo when posted, as it was one of my first few days in the FORT, and I can honestly say that anyone who made less than complimentary comments on that photo, or the person who is in it, would be well served to investigate many of the chemical sterilization options available today.

But I am not opinionated or anything.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Aww, you guys.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I'm not going to try to quote everything that I agree/disagree with in this thread, because too many good points have been made. I'll just offer my $.02USD...I think that the teasing/ribbing/whatever you want to call it that is done here is done in fun and isn't truly meant to hurt anyone's feelings. As for the people on "Survivor" being different than "normal" celebrities, I disagree with that. Once S1 was complete, anyone who tried out for the show knew what they were getting into and willingly put themselves out there for observation/inspection/ridicule/whatever. As Bill said, many of the people who make it on the show are doing it specifically for the publicity that being on the show will bring them. Some may see it as a possible entreť into show business (Silas, Colby), so should they get a break because they weren't celebrities before being on the show? IMHO, no they should not.

If reality show contestants are being teased/ridiculed for something other than their looks, does that make it better? For example, many (if not most) of the posters in the Amazing Race forum here rag on Ian's personality. But, since that isn't a physical characteristic, does that make it less offensive?

One thing you said, Modesty, that I find interesting is the following:
    Let's just say that I find it less offesive about making fun of the Bachelor participats' looks than the looks of the Survivors.
    So, why is it less offensive to talk about the looks of the "Bachelor" participants than the people on "Survivor"? Just curious...

Fascinating topic, Modesty. I can't help but feel a little targeted since I've made incessant jokes about the appearances of some of the Survivors this season. I've also lampooned their personalities as much as I possibly can. I have considered what it would be like for them to read some of my material, and I'm sure many of them wouldn't be happy with some of the things I've said. But I haven't let it stop me from representing them in any way I see fit.

As others have mentioned, these people have elected to display themselves, warts and all, in front of 20 million people a week. They are characters to me. They are characters to nearly all of that audience of 20 million people. They have agreed to provide entertainment for that audience, and if that entertainment includes less-than-complimentary descriptions of their performance or even their appearance, that's part of the experience for which they signed up.

I don't know any of these people well enough to dislike any of them, although I have disliked some of the actions that have been shown to me. I recognize that the producers are, to some extent, defining what I see, and that's really all I have to work with. I've been asked to provide entertainment for our audience here. A big part of my humor is tied up in caricatures of the characters we see on our screen. It's appropriate for our audience, I think. And I know we're much less severe with our criticism here than I've seen in other places on the Web.

In conclusion: they asked for it, they're gettin' it.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I agree w/ what Captain Forehead says... These people put themselves out there in the public eye, so they should expect people to comment on everything from their personality to their physical appearance to whatever else. Does that mean it's OK to do that? Not necessarily, but it's going to happen, and if they don't have a thick enough skin to handle it, then maybe they shouldn't have put themselves out there for inspection in the first place...

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion...Because some of the people on these shows might read our posts here, should I hold my tongue and not say what I want to say about them on the off-chance that they do come here and read our posts?

Princess
    Hey guys! I love to read your comments about this! And I thank you all for responding! Just wanted to make it clear: I'm not bothered about that the contestants may read what we write here.... I am bothered that we feel inclined at all to make fun about how anyone looks.

Lobeck... to answer your question.... I'm not being very proud of myself here, but I just have a feeling that the Bachelor contestants applied because of their looks rather than anything else (and I might be totally wrong about this, so feel free to hit me on the head!), and that's why I would feel less bad about making fun of their looks. The Survivor contestants, put themselves out there b/c they thought they were smart (outwit/ouplay...) so therefore, that part of their personality feels fair game to me. Just my thoughts.

I don't claim to be pefect in any way... I certainly have my hangups and ideas... I started this thread b/c it is bothering me and I needed to hear how you were thinking, as I think you are all very decent ppl and I have the greatest respect for you all.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Modesty
    Lobeck... to answer your question.... I'm not being very proud of myself here, but I just have a feeling that the Bachelor contestants applied because of their looks rather than anything else (and I might be totally wrong about this, so feel free to hit me on the head!), and that's why I would feel less bad about making fun of their looks. The Survivor contestants, put themselves out there b/c they thought they were smart (outwit/ouplay...) so therefore, that part of their personality feels fair game to me. Just my thoughts.
    Sorry, have to disagree on that point.

Everyone has made great points in this thread -- especially agreed with one of John's posts (sorry, forgot to save the quote).

IMO...either you feel badly posting about someone's looks or you don't. I don't think you can specify that certain shows it is okay or justified while others it is not.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast