+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that bother me about these posts

They aren't there for their looks
    I have to disagree here. I think the casting people (and that's what they are) really try to get a few people on the show purely because of their looks. That doesn't mean that the people themselves went for it because of their looks, but with some of them, I feel quit sure that their looks are what got them on the show. Also, we have the ones that come on not only for the million bucks, but to hopefully parlay their fifteen minutes into a television career.
    Did that make any sense?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Unfortunately its a part of being a human being. It happens and it sucks, I have been guilty of it in the past and will be in the future, but I do try and watch doing it. Modesty, you have stated your opinion on it, thats the best you can do on here. Now you have to sit back and see if anyone does anything about it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Princess
    Cali! I'm sure you are right! Let's just say that I find it less offesive about making fun of the Bachelor participats' looks than the looks of the Survivors. (And really, I don't think Aaron is attractive at all - he looks phony and plastic, imo!!)

Bill, I didn't think about that this show has been going on for a while, and ppl should know that they are going to be made fun of, sometimes in a pretty cruel way. Nevertheless, it does bother me - not so much b/c the participants may read it, but that we actually are making fun of how they look.

BTW, for example, I don't think anyone would make fun of Ghandia or Ted for being black! So then, why would it be OK to make fun of Clay for being short? Just a thought....

sure its ok, being vertically challenged has nothing to do with race.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

On the principle you discuss, I think you are right M.

However, in my experience, I think that those attibutes that get brought out in humor are usually generated based upon the personality of the person. Once that person begins to behave a certain way, then elements of their appearance and even their speech, will be used to characature the person.

The Clay jokes for example are becoming more and more common as his personality continues to show a little napoleon complex going on.

Erin has had her share of jokes about her "attributes", but actually I would argue that those have been relatively subdued due to the fact that she seemed to conduct herself with dignity on the show.

For a counter example of that, look at S4 and Sarah, or BB3 and Tonya. Both of these women were equally endowed via surgery, and yet they were consistently trashed as slutish, bascially because that is how they behaved.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Personally, I'd much rather have people make fun of the way I looked as a contestant on Survivor, because it would mean they were having a hard time finding anything to fault with my performance in the game.

Let's take Helen...Other than not yet realizing she needs to switch alliances, and her recipe-fixation, and once in a while her singing, there's just not much else to say about the woman. So, when all else fails, you have to go for the looks.

I'm sure if I were to be on the show, there would be plenty people could say about me looks-wise (not totally exclusive of the fact that I'm 6' 7" tall), and it would be something I would expect by being on TV. For any show, for any amount of money. In fact, I'm not sure the $50k on Fear Factor is worth the jokes, so I don't apply

Oops, I hit "submit" before I finished my thought.

Anyone who puts themselves out there for a game show, which is all a reality show is, is fair game for criticism for anything surrounding the show. It's part of the deal. You want a shot at $XX money, that's fine. But you get to be made fun of.

Every person who applies has to take that into consideration. I'm sure that some don't, and it's their fault, 100%. Just like Brian didn't take into consideration what he did for a living, or that his wife might have to appear on a videotape that the other tribemembers would see. Whoops. Too bad, so sad.

Now, having said that, I think we're pretty nice to most contestants on reality TV shows, overall. Especially on The Amazing Race, and a little less so on Survivor. But really, the Survivor crew is so bland and boring, you have to really work to find anything interesting about them.

Princess
    John, Bill, I appreciate your thoughts.

Sorry, I felt a need to quote myself here: "What I meant was that it seems to me that once ppl starts to dislike someone, they feel justified to make fun of their appearance." and
    "Nevertheless, it does bother me - not so much b/c the participants may read it, but that we actually are making fun of how they look."
    I think this is what really bothers me the most.

My personal feeling is (and I can only speak for myself) - I can make fun of people on TV, if they're there by their own personal choice. Actor, reality show contestant, game show contestant, whatever. And whether it's looks (for example, Julia Roberts' jaws-like rows of teeth), personality, things they say or do, whatever...It's all fair game. They've made that personal choice to be on my TV in my home.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    This is a great topic for discussion, Modesty! I've thought about this some myself recently.

I tend to agree with most of the folks here. If you put yourself in the public eye, you must expect that you're going to be made the brunt of jokes. I know that if I'd been on Survivor, I would have probably taken abuse - I can imagine I would have heard "The guy is freakishly tall and thin and white! The way the sun glints off that bald dome makes me think of him as The Human Lighthouse. Lord help him if he ever was actually stranded on an island: boats passing his tribal beach turn away because they think his head is warning them away from the rocks for heaven's sake!"

I'm sure I've been guilty of few tastless or hurtful jokes here on the FORT. My guess is that most of them envolve Clay. And honestly, I don't have a problem sleeping at night over them; I think Clay has said far more mean and hurtful things about other folks on the show - and he's actually gotten to know them! I don't care for him, and I think he comes off generally as meanspirited unkind. But I don't know him; I only know who MB is letting us see. If Clay was to read what is written here about him, I'd be willing to bet he isn't upset about it at all. He might even be thinking "Laugh all you want, folks; I'm a million dollars richer!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast