+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40414243444546474849505152 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ethan Zohn - Saboga

Re: Ethan Zohn - Saboga

I'm glad to hear this, but I thought his name was spelled with an A, Zahn? I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ActMax;3905759;
    I'm glad to hear this, but I thought his name was spelled with an A, Zahn? I could be wrong.
    Nope, Zohn. When I first read his bio on the CBS site when he was in Africa, I mistook it as his first name, like John.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

So glad to hear this news!!! Ethan always will be one of the good guys.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Who is John Galt?

Happy news for this lovely couple. I wish them a long and happy life together.

Whew. I too get very nervous when Ethan's thread makes it's way to the top of the board. So glad to hear he is doing well and he and Jenna can take some time to focus on something other than his health issues. He's one of my favourites and I wish them nothing but the best.

Since this is how most of us know Ethan, I dug up this thread. Very sad news
    Ethan Zohn's Cancer Returns

By Julie Jordan

Wednesday November 02, 2011 12:30 PM EDT

Even as he was enjoying his 20th month of remission from Hodgkin's lymphoma, Ethan Zohn worried about a relapse.

"I don't want fear or cancer to define me, but it's always in the back of your mind," the former Survivor winner tells PEOPLE in a new interview.

His fears were confirmed on Sept. 14, when doctors told him the cancer had returned in his chest.

"It's localized in my lung area," Zohn, 37, says. "But it's good that it's not all over my body."

His girlfriend of eight years, Jenna Morasca, 30, was by his side when Zohn got the news. "She's taking it like the rock star that she is," he says of Morasca, who also won Survivor. "We're both filled with fear and anger and anxiety and gratitude and frustration. But there's so much love there. It's this whole spectrum of emotions."

On Oct. 18, Zohn began a new "smart" form of chemotherapy, SGN-35, that only targets the cancerous cells, which means, he says, "I won't lose my hair again."

After 12 weeks of treatment, Zohn hopes to undergo another stem-cell transplant this time from one of his brothers, who is a likely match.

"But the doctors won't tell me which one. They didn't want me to start treating one differently than the other," Zohn says. "Of course my whole family is taking bets on who it is."

Although Zohn's life has turned upside down once again, he still plans to run in the New York City Marathon on Nov. 6 to raise money for his Grassroot Soccer organization, which promotes HIV/AIDS education and prevention.

"The doctors think I'm crazy but they gave me the okay," he says. "Cancer isn't going to slow me down. I want people to know that you can still live a fulfilled life and move forward."
    Ethan Zohn's Cancer Is Back : People.com
    and a second article: Ethan Zohn's Cancer Returns: Says He's Still Living 'Fulfilled Life' : People.com
    Last edited by Critical; 11-03-2011 at 04:00 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes, it's a bad sign that his cancer is systemic. You can't help but love this guy. My favorite Survivor winner
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I love Ethan too. This makes me so sad, but also filled with admiration for the way his is living his life. I hope you kick cancer's ass, Ethan.
    PWS and AmyKay like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

He's my favorite winner ever also (based on personality, not clever game play that is). Really crossing my fingers for him.

You know, I've thought this for a long time but have never said it. I think it's appropriate now:

Ethan from the first time we met him to present day, has been the one true "Survivor" champion - all levels.

He won the game in one of the most brutal and true survival games they've had in the series - Africa's more desert area.

He has continued helping out the cause after his visit to that village during that season. When he said he'd help the kids he meant it.

He's not had a HUGE media spiel on his cancer and treatments - he's done it as quietly as he can. I don't fault him for having them televise the whole stem cell treatment though because not many people know - he wanted people to know about said treatment.

And, he's been taking on these challenges with the same quiet grace and humor that lead us to enjoy watching him since that season so many years ago. He was humble in his win (well save the obvious celebrating when it was announced he won), and has stayed such since.

I wish him the best in this challenge with cancer now, and I'm glad he has a strong supporter in Jenna, whom I have honestly come to respect and admire since that win in the Amazon her season. She has grown, matured and shown she has guts. (Then again, I really only didn't like her when she stripped for chocolate and peanut butter).
    AmyKay, KatesMom, Coco46 and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread