+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The troubling "women as sheep" phenomenon

FORT Newbie

The troubling "women as sheep" phenomenon

I count myself as a longtime survivor fan – I have seen every episode of every season. But I may stop watching altogether because I am increasingly irked/distressed by what I will call the “women as sheep” phenomenon. I have grown to become increasingly disgusted with the female survivor contestants who 1) blindly follow the men who create and usually lead the alliance, 2) do not enter the contest with the mentality that they are playing a game that requires deception to win, 3) seem to give up rather than use strategy to improve their position.

Granted, there are both male and female sheep in the game of survivor, but it seems to me that, in every group, the female sheep vastly outnumber the male sheep. Also, the male “airheads” may use strategy poorly, but at least they attempt to manipulate the outcome in some fashion. Yes, there are always the “eye candy” contestants – young men and women on a summer camp adventure to show off their physiques. But what of the other players? Too often, the women seem to be naïve, out to make friends, or play the mother role. People might argue that women have won survivor so what I am saying is not true. But I just feel this in my gut. It was obvious in the last survivor series and seems to be happening once again in this series. Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by notasheep
    I count myself as a longtime survivor fan – I have seen every episode of every season. But I may stop watching altogether because I am increasingly irked/distressed by what I will call the “women as sheep” phenomenon. I have grown to become increasingly disgusted with the female survivor contestants who 1) blindly follow the men who create and usually lead the alliance, 2) do not enter the contest with the mentality that they are playing a game that requires deception to win, 3) seem to give up rather than use strategy to improve their position.

Granted, there are both male and female sheep in the game of survivor, but it seems to me that, in every group, the female sheep vastly outnumber the male sheep. Also, the male “airheads” may use strategy poorly, but at least they attempt to manipulate the outcome in some fashion. Yes, there are always the “eye candy” contestants – young men and women on a summer camp adventure to show off their physiques. But what of the other players? Too often, the women seem to be naïve, out to make friends, or play the mother role. People might argue that women have won survivor so what I am saying is not true. But I just feel this in my gut. It was obvious in the last survivor series and seems to be happening once again in this series. Comments?

Yes. Where, oh where, are the female Machiavellis? Let's see, not to denigate any of these women but...Tina rode Colby like a cowgirl into the million. Vecepia was the lesser of 2 evils because the Rotu 4 alliance resented Neleh. Jenna? Well, as much as I hate to admit it, she comes the closest to the ideal of female empowerment. She won the last 3 IC's. She out argued Matt before the jury.

I blame the producers for choosing "eye-candy." I know plenty of women in real life who kick ass. (I am a trial lawyer.) And there have been women on the show who can play the game, who are not eye candy. Deena was perhaps my favorite, as a colleague. Why didn't she win? Like many others, male or female, she got too cocky at the wrong moment in the game.

Our time will come, I am postitive. Keep the faith.

Namaste.

not all the woman in the game were tottaly unstrategic. Trish at least made an effort this season, and Sandra's strategy will make her be in the final three unless there are freak immunity challenges. Most woman are just used as votes if you ask me, but some acctullay play a great game.
    Sandra plays survivor better then anyone. She Won!

Dawn marie was always the ultimate member of the family.

Jennifer Hudson Forever

Ant is the man! er..... woman

Money talks,

CHOCOLATE SINGS!

notasheep, glad you finally signed up

to the FORT

Great points. Great first post.

notasheep!

I see your point. I really thought that Sandra would breakthough this year as a schemer and a good player, but lately she seems a bit gun shy.

I think we had some near misses in the past though. Kathy was a decent player, who just got shutout at the end. Helen was strong willed, but foolishly believed Brian. If she had listened during her family visit, she might have won.

I always thought Tina didn't deserve to win, but that she deserved credit for knowing her alliancemate better than he did. Much like Richard and Rudy, Tina knew that Colby would not betray her, even to his own demise. Not exactly a strong play per se, but does require some good perception of people.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

, Bill. I thought Sandra was gonna rock Survivor, but it seems to be rocking her into complacency. Shucks.

I'm waiting for a Danielle, for all you BB fans out there. I want a woman with her scheming on Survivor. THAT would be a good season!

ETA: welcome to FORT, notasheep!

Last edited by chirospasm; 12-06-2003 at 10:17 PM.
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Quote Originally Posted by chirospasm
    , Bill. I thought Sandra was gonna rock Survivor, but it seems to be rocking her into complacency. Shucks.

I'm waiting for a Danielle, for all you BB fans out there. I want a woman with her scheming on Survivor. THAT would be a good season!

ETA: welcome to FORT, notasheep!

I agree. Danielle would be awesome in survivor. As crossover show would be fun. The best from both shows. Those from both shows seem to think their game is the harder of the 2.

toothdoc

notasheep!

I have high hopes still for Sandra to be playing better than it looks (remember how MB likes to toy with us using his creative editing process) and maybe even grudgingly hope Darrah is as sneaky as she's starting to look. I think part of the reason many of the women look like sheep is that they manipulate in a different way than the men do. They may not be scheming out loud in front of the camera, but you can bet that they're playing mind games. I'm even beginning to wonder if Lill's Rain Woman act is just an act..and she's lulling Burton and Jon into a very false sense of security.

I'll take Danielle on Survivor, but only if we can have Roddy there too - she was funniest when he was around.

Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess
    ... the women ... may not be scheming out loud in front of the camera, but you can bet that they're playing mind games.
    So Darrah is giving everybody the "silent treatment". right?
    I don't know ...

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Oh, c'mon...Jan was an awesome player who deserved much better than her 3rd place finish.

-Randy (sarcasm is fun! )
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast