+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lex thinks this seasons a bore:

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I liked S2 the outback made it good, they had great challenges and the cast of charectors they put together were great. lots of conflict and stupidity. lets build a camp in a old steam bed after we have noticed the river rising and know rain is causing it. lets drop a log on the water jug and break the stem off. lets kill a pig. S3 was good for the people. the stting sucked and it took till about half way for the poeple to really come out and hsine. then the fireworks went. Lex, Sargent Frank. Silas and brandon along with Big Tom really stirred it up good.

I think S2 was good simply because people had such high expectations for a flop after the success of the original show.
    How many times did we hear "It won't be as good as the original"?
    I didn't see the original at the time, but have since seen it on video, and agree that it was a great series, but I don't personally feel it stands head and shoulders above the followers though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think one of the greatest things about Survivor is the editing.

I don't care who bitches, if there is material of you acting like an idiot, expect them to use it.

And the smaller moments, like Jake saying he can hear the fat lady singing, cue Ted, are brilliant.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I think one of the greatest things about Survivor is the editing.

I don't care who bitches, if there is material of you acting like an idiot, expect them to use it.
    I agree! And I really give props to editing staff across the country for making these shows entertaining.

And to steal something from CM days...you can't edit IN!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

But didn't Mark Corwin get his knuckles rapped for saying all over the net that his "I'm dead" comment was edited in. His comment was from a completely different time.

The editors can really go to town and make things appear totally differently to how they actually happened.
    I think the only thing people really can't complain about it the confessionals, they said those things.
    The editing is great on the show, but I do think that there is opportunity to manipulate things.
    "That's Numberwang!"

You're right fluff, he did.
    I guess the difference there is they called him, had him say it, then showed him as dead. They didn't edit in a bad personality
    His complaint was that he wasn't really killed, but the producers said his gear just didn't "go off" or something.... Bravo, where are you??
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

They didn't edit in a bad personality
    Love that line cali

That is one thing you can't do. I think some pope have been represented really poorly by the editing so I know that MB can be extremely manuipulative if he wants to.
    I agree with BF and Miss F though in general and think that there are very few people with genuine cause for complaint.

I didn't watch CM, so I'm going purely by memory of the few posts I read about it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I do complain about the editing, but from a different angle than what Miss F is concerned with.

Take Penny for example. There is a common comment from her tribe mates that she is manipulative, evil, etc... well aside from when she and Jake were trying desperately to save themselves, there is no video shown where Penny does any of that stuff.

I would like to have seen the behaviors that have led to her being branded a certain way. For example, I think it was probably Jake who decided they should boot Erin, but none of us know, they didn't show that process.

I can understand MB's desire to always keep the winner a secret, but we have missed some key plots on this version, and it isn't because there is so much good material to use that they can't fit it all in.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I agree Bill.
    A few of Penny's team mates described her in a certian way, but other than her turning on Jake and clumsiliy snuffing out his torch in the immunity game we didn't get a chance to see that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

SuperJude™
    Man am I the only person who likes this seasons Survivor?

I have read the Lex column every week. In fact the Sir Links A Lot site is where I found this one, and thus far Lex is quite astute and interesting, all the way.

Save for the fact that for someone like me who thinks this season rocks. Why you ask? Because these people (save for Clay) are trying their damndest to hide true personas and for me half the fun is trying to figure it all out. I truly thought all the while that Penny was manipulative and lame. Though no "hard" evidence was presented, I had this feeling that she wasn't saying anything to the cameras, but backbiting all the while.

I was right. She showed her true nature that last episode. Shi-Ann, same thing. I found her petty and self involved. Just when I though, maybe, she was okay, she screwed up big time. When I saw her confessional on that recap episode I was convinced, once again, that I was right.

So it isn't about the big thrills this season but more about discerning the real from the bullshit, and I keep getting that "damn I was right" feeling, so hey Lex rocks and all but for me, this is like a wonderfull social experiment.

Mix one part drama and 3 parts bullshit and what do you get?

Survivor 5 Thailand, of course.

-SJ™

+ Reply to Thread