+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading off the votes

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Reading off the votes

Is there an order Jeff reads the votes? For example, does he randomly pick each vote out of the jar, or is there a specific order he is supposed to read them in?

Not sure I'm being clear here, but I can't decide if he grabs the jar, starts picking and reading, or if they are removed from the jar, put in an order to be read and stuffed back in for him to read in a particular order.

It always seems like there's more of an order than there should be.

I think the votes are indeed place in a "drama promoting" order.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

He definitely re-stacks them in order to produce the most tension and drama possible. He also most of the time pulls out votes that you see being written down on camera, so you can't figure out who's being booted by handwriting (I do it every week, so I notice that stuff).

I think that's coincidence, John. I doubt he knows for certain at that moment whose comments will be on camera. It does seem that he's gotten better at that over the various seasons, though. He probably has a sense of which ones will make it on air and sticks those on top.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Paulie, I think that he works with the cameraman and MB (who's probably standing right next to the cameraman during voting) to ensure that they hold up the votes that they think they'll show on TV. I can't explain it any other way, because he definitely holds up the ones we've seen written first.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Paulie, I think that he works with the cameraman and MB (who's probably standing right next to the cameraman during voting) to ensure that they hold up the votes that they think they'll show on TV. I can't explain it any other way, because he definitely holds up the ones we've seen written first.
    It's all in the editting isn't it ? I'm sure they ALL write, comment and hold up their votes because they show that at the end, then they fairly seamlessly edit out the hold-ups they don't want us to see YET in order to, as said, promote the drama/suspense. JP probably watches as he's counting and stacks accordingly ? ETA : All with MB supervision, of course. Also, we really don't know how much time elapses between the voting and the reading of the votes.
    Last edited by echoecho; 11-14-2003 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm sure they try to do that, and they usually do a pretty good job, but there have been occasions - even this season - where the final key vote was one we'd already seen written in the voting booth. I'm just saying they don't always know exactly how they're going to reveal the votes in the actual episode and sometimes they miss it. I do think they're getting a much better feel for it than they did in earlier seasons.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

That's happened a couple of times that I can recall in the past Paulie.
    I think it might even have happened on the finale when Ethan won.
    I was having too many palpitations to concentrate though
    "That's Numberwang!"

Boy, I'd have paid good money to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by echoecho
    Also, we really don't know how much time elapses between the voting and the reading of the votes.

This is a good point. If he has enough time to restack the votes, perhaps he also quickly watches the voting footage so he knows best how to promote the drama.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast