+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A somewhat similar 'Big Twist' idea...

A somewhat similar 'Big Twist' idea...

Hi All. I've been a silent lurker for a while now and reading these threads really adds to my enjoyment of watching the show. I thought I'd finally join the forum so i can participate once in a while.

I just want to share my thoughts on last episode's 'Big Twist'. Wow. It was really a doozy!

It reminded me however, of an idea that I've had for my own 'Big Twist'.. I cooked this up maybe two seasons ago and I was thinking it would be really cool if MB can do it...

I was wondering if i can share it with you guys and let me have your thoughts on it..

Okay.. so I'm thinking of another round of survivor.. i imagined it to be on an island, very much like the one they are on now, as a matter of fact. The players finally reach The Merge. The newly merged tribe then probably use the spare time to plot and scheme, preparing for individual immunity. They even go through Individual Reward challenge. Then, come IC day, everyone thinking of being the the first to have Individual Immunity... Jeff suddenly beckons ANOTHER tribe in. Both tribes are shocked. Its like meeting someone from a parallel universe.

You see, all along, there have been TWO pairs of tribes, a pair on their own island. These tribes did not know of each other's exsitence.. as far as each pair was concerned, they were the *only* ones vying for the million dollar challenge. Now, what was once four tribes are down to TWO merged tribes. Now, instead of seeing their newly merged teammates as competition, they *really* must act as teammates to survive.

And finally, after everyone's shock has died down, Jeff gives the clincher: Since there were two sets of Survivors, and each set was promised $1 million, now that they are competing with each other, the pot will now be TWO MILLION DOLLARS. (Lord knows MB and the show can afford it)

Next Episode: the opening credits will be a new one, incorporating either all 32 survivors, or maybe just the newly merged survivors. But the point is we will be seeing names, photos and footages of players we havent seen before.

HOW TO MAKE IT WORK: This is a tough one and a logistical nightmare. The show may need double the crew and cameramen. Jeff has to work double time, scheduling RC, IC and TCs around each other. The biggest problem would be keeping the secret out of the Public. People who knew their friends was on Survivor might wonder why the hell they arent seeing them on TV. Btw, MB and the producers have to choose which among the two sets of survivors they filmed will be the 'featured' teams on TV. The others will be relegated as the 'alternate universe counterparts'. However, they can opt to show these other tribes' episodes later on after the season ends, or include it on a DVD special, release em on the internet or whatever.

So. thats it, that's my Big Idea.

Any thoughts, comments?

P.S. I just realized, as excited as i am about this idea of mine which i say i've had for the past 2 seasons, it may be that someone out there have thought of something similar or even the exact same thing. It may also be that this idea has been discussed on threads previously that i am not aware of. If this is the case, i hope no one thinks i am plagarizing or stealing other people's ideas. It's just that watching last week's episode with the 'Lost Tribe' has such a 'WOW' impact on me, that i got reminded of this idea I had. Now I'm thinking if MB is 'crazy' enough to that, would this idea i have be any crazier?

Thanks for reading!

Spez the newbie

Spez Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at anything Mark Burnett does. Very interesting ideas you have. I think it would be really funny to see their reactions to news like that but I don't know that it could be kept secret from the audience. The audience would probably have to be *in* on it cause like you said, the family members would leak the info.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Welcome Spez,

I like your idea except for one part that I was confused about. You said that there would need to be double the crews, but you also said that at first we would only be featured two of the four tribes. I think you generally wanted the set up to be that we see 2 tribes go through the standard motions, while another 2 tribes are filmed but aren't shown to the public. I think that would be a great waste of production energy and equipment, to film a whole 2 tribe story with the chance that the footage might only be seen on the DVD. I think you can only do this one of two ways: either you show the audience all 4 tribes, and let the surprise only affect the actual Survivors come merge time, or you have to pick 2 tribes that are featured, and forget to film the other ones, but only film them once the merge arrives. I favor the former alternative because it's less wasteful, and has a lot more featured action for the audience. A drawback of course, is that we don't get the cool surprise that you're trying for come merge time.

I think the idea is really cool, but I don't know of a good way of approaching it. As a producer, either you waste a great deal of energy and money on 2 tribes that will get little to no air time pre-merge, or you lose the entire shock factor of having the audience find out there were another 2 tribes all along, and go ahead and film all 4 from the beginning.

One possibility I just thought of, is to dedicate a one episode lightning recap of what happened in the unfeatured 2 tribes prior to the merge, so that the audience might get acquainted with them, and understand the nuances and relations between the tribe members. But again, this might leave the audience frustrated at some things they felt they should have seen or didn't understand. I like your idea though, but I think it would be VERY tough to pull off.
    Last edited by Zaius; 11-06-2003 at 12:17 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

They could keep the two sets unknown to each other, but give us an extra show every week so we could see what they were up to.

Yes, I'm just trying to find a way to see more Survivor each week

I don't know exactly how they could make this work, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

to the site, Spez
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    They could keep the two sets unknown to each other, but give us an extra show every week so we could see what they were up to.

Yes, I'm just trying to find a way to see more Survivor each week

I don't know exactly how they could make this work, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

to the site, Spez
    Hiya Spez, and welcome to the Fort!

I have to agree with Eny.....I would love for there to be 2 Survivor episodes per week!!!!!! Although the "alternate" tribe would be a spectacular entrance for the viewing audience....I would feel a bit cheated in not knowing who the other competitors are.
    I would like to see and care about different people on each team, therefore have some feelings invested as to who I would like to see outwit, outplay and outlast.

neat idea, Spez!!!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70
    Hiya Spez, and welcome to the Fort!

I have to agree with Eny.....I would love for there to be 2 Survivor episodes per week ! Although the "alternate" tribe would be a spectacular entrance for the viewing audience....I would feel a bit cheated in not knowing who the other competitors are.
    I would like to see and care about different people on each team, therefore have some feelings invested as to who I would like to see outwit, outplay and outlast.

neat idea, Spez!!!

Wonder if they could get all 4 tribes, the challenges and TC's in a 90 minute broadcast ?

One way to keep some element of surprise might be to have 2 all Male tribes competing against each other and two all Female tribes competing against each other and let the public get to know them. Let the public think it's just an experiment to see what really works best, the psychology and different dynamics of co-ed tribes and gender specific tribes when they compete against each other.

Don't let the Male v. Male or Female v. Female tribes know about each other. Tell the tribes that focus group studies or something suggested an all one gender tribe and that THEIR gender was the one most people think are true "survivors"

So all the castaways can gloat that their gender was chosen as the superior one. The public will think they are just watching a side-by-side comparison for experimental purposes, and will be entertained thinking they know a secret.

Just when those left standing in the gender specific groups think it's time for the merge ... spring them on each other, and reveal to them and the public that this is to be Super Survivor ! Then either let it be boys v. girls again, intermingle them into 2 coed tribes. They could even have 2 individual immunities, one male, one female and 2 booties one male and one female for awhile, until say, the final 6 or 4.

Anyway you go ... it becomes a Super Survivor !

Thanks for the neat idea and the mental stimulation spez.

Whew ! Complicated isn't it ? I believe my health may be failing from the pressure of thinking about it :

>>>>>>>
    editted to add some further thoughts
    Last edited by echoecho; 11-06-2003 at 04:51 PM.

Welcome Spez!!! Interesting idea.

I like Fluff's idea of 2 shows a week.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    Welcome Spez!!! Interesting idea.

I like Fluff's idea of 2 shows a week.
    If Big Brother can have three a week, Survivor can have two!

And I think it would be great, Spez! (and welcome )
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

A Twist Idea

I've been lurking silently for a few weeks, ever since I happily and accidentally discovered this board. to John and the mods for at last creating a board that encourages discussion rather than invective.

I've been a Survivor fan since S1 and, for the most part, have enjoyed the twists and variations that keep the game fresh. However, I really dislike the current "bringe-'em-back-alive" twist because I think it destroys the game's most basic premise.

I had an idea for a twist for some future Survivor and thought I would put it before you for opinions.

My concept involves a kind of round-robin of tribal transfers that would take place until the merge. Each week, one or two members of each tribe would have to switch to the other tribe. The same players could not be transferred in consecutive weeks and the ones transferred would be immune from boot at that TC.

I believe this might have the effect of preventing very early unshakeable alliances. Randomizing the tribal make-up this way may help to remove the predictability of who goes when and players may have to be more careful of whom they irritate.

Anyway, I welcome your opinions -- good or bad -- and thanks for reading.

No sig yet.

I was on an online survivor game with the same premise. I think it would be good if we didnt know there was another tribe and then when they merged they told them and the veiwers making an ven bigger twist. Then they start from day 1 on the two tribes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast