+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Did the Outcast Tribe have an unfair advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkles
    plus they had 6 people thus more hands to tie and untie things!!
    On the other hand, that could mean they have more people to untie too.

FORT Regular
    Who cares if the contest was 'fair'? None of the contests are ever really 'fair'. Someone is going to have an advantage for whatever reason (was Ruperts bulk vs Ostens for-display-only muscles fair?). The two tribes both had the opportunity to win and avoid TC, but neither could pull it off.

As for the Outcasts not 'deserving' to return, how can anyone make such a statement? Did Osten 'deserve' to be in the game this long? Or Shawn? Shawn was going to be voted out 3 episodes ago but managed to avoid elimination by pure luck. Did Ryan S, Nicole and Michelle deserve to be voted off? The only people who deserve to be in the game are those who can roll with the punches and twists and who can pull themselves and others together when needed (ie winning challenges, forming ad-hoc alliances, etc).

So...if the Outcasts that come back truly arent deserving of another chance at winning, then we'll see them voted off soon enough. This twists was well done and should keep things shaken up for a while. If the show were predicatable, it would be boring and none of us would be watching it.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy

According to MB, the Outcasts didn't know that they were going to be given the opportunity to return to the game until Jeff announced it to all the tribes. They had simply been told that they were going to compete in a reward challenge.

He also said that he made sure it wasn't a very physical challenge (to offset any physical advantage the Outcasts might have had) and that the Outcasts won "on pure adrenalin".

Well....let me say this. If I was on the show and was voted off, I'm sitting in my shack, playing tiddly-winks and staring at the ceiling....and suddenly MB mysteriously enters and says, "hey....can't tell you anything...but use this war paint and put a skull and crossbones on yourself and finish that tofu sandwich cause we're sending you and everyone else BACK ON THE SHOW to compete for something, but I'm not going to tell you what for..."....

I'd about pee my pants with excitement!! Seriously.... even if I didn't have a CLUE that I would be given a shot to "get back on the game"...the mere fact that I'm getting more airtime on the show gives me the adrenaline to wanna WIN WIN WIN!! I want everyone (fans watching AND the remaining tribes) to see how GREAT I can play and I probably would have won the million, if it wasn't for the damned tribe voting me off!

Does that make sense?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

ICan'tLookAway wrote:
    As for the Outcasts not 'deserving' to return, how can anyone make such a statement? Did Osten 'deserve' to be in the game this long? Or Shawn? Shawn was going to be voted out 3 episodes ago but managed to avoid elimination by pure luck. Did Ryan S, Nicole and Michelle deserve to be voted off? The only people who deserve to be in the game are those who can roll with the punches and twists and who can pull themselves and others together when needed (ie winning challenges, forming ad-hoc alliances, etc).
    I agree, except that Nicole, Burton, and Trish deserved their initial fate. Each orchestrated his/her own demise.

This twist adds a whole new dimension to the meaning of "expect the unexpected" regading the Survivor game. I'm okay with it as long as their are no more major surprises. Any more and I'll feel like I'm watching Paradise Hotel on an island (without bikinis or slutty women).
    Not laughing, just rolling on the floor!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NL,JROTF
    Any more and I'll feel like I'm watching Paradise Hotel on an island (without bikinis or slutty women).
    Well, I hope you know that none of the girls were sluts...it was the editting that portrayed them that way.

Last edited by Maveno; 11-03-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck
    From the discussion so far I count the following advantages for the Outcasts:
    1. SLEEP - the difference could be as much as 8hrs vs 20 min each night
    2. PROTEIN - Morgan wasn't getting any, Outcasts were
    3. NO WORK - Outcasts didn't scavenge their food, get water, rebuild shelter, paddle to challenges, compete in challenges, etc.
    4. NO POLITICAL STRESS - Outcasts didn't have to vote anyone out, stay in the majority
    5. CLEANLINESS - Outcasts looked like they'd had a nice hot shower
    6. COACHING - The Outcasts had been given body paint to help psych them up and I bet they were coached as to how they could save face by winning
    7. ELEMENT OF SURPRISE - They knew they'd be competing the others were surprised to see them
    8. NO BUGS
    9. EXTRA EQUIPMENT - I'm not sure if they were wrist bands or buffs, but Outcasts used them in their pole and neither Morgan nor Drake did.

Equal factors:
    1. PRIDE - all teams were motivated by pride to win
    2. TOLERATE ANNOYING PEOPLE - I'm sure Loser Lodge had its share of annoying people

Disadvantages for Outcasts:
    1. ONE MORE PERSON TO UNTIE - since some of activities took place at simultaneously this is less than if each person were untied one at a time
    2. LESS EXPERIENCE AS A TEAM

I'm surprised that it was as close as it was.
    Trainwreck, thanks for putting that together . It seems clear that there was a disparity in their situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck
    This leads me to wonder if it would have been better for MB to just announce that two Outcasts would be returning rather than stage a clearly fixed challenge. Pretending that its fair for people who have been out of the game to compete in a moderately physical challenge makes a mockery of ALL the hardship and survivalism in the show.
    , Trainwreck. I would have liked the twist better if MB had acknowledged that the Outcasts had an unfair advantage. As it is, I feel that MB is insulting our intelligence.

Maveno, you crack me up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345