Thread: Osten Taylor explains his decision

FORT Apache, The Bronx

Osten Taylor explains his decision

Transcript From Yahoo Platinum: Survivor Insider Video Episode 7-A
    http://platinum.yahoo.com/splash/srvr_prl.html

---------------------------
    OSTEN QUITS!
    ---------------------------

Clip description: Osten became the first competitor ever to quit SURVIVOR. Let Insider reveal Osten's thoughts the day after he left the game. What were his true reasons for laying down his torch?

---
    Osten (day-after): What surprised me most is how much weight I lost in a short amount of time. I knew this game was going to be hard. I knew this game was going to be hard.

CUT

It came down to how much food we were getting. I thought we would be getting more food where we were and we weren't able to do it.

CUT

I would have given anything to fish more, find food, live off the land a little more. That wasn't the case.

CUT

They tried but they weren't successful. Ryan tried and Savage tried, our two best swimmers. I couldn't cuz I can't swim that well.

CUT

So we just weren't successful in fishing. And getting mollusks and whatnot, they were few and far in between. We kind of depleted our resources where we were.

CUT

As far as taking away from the game of Survivor, I've taken nothing. There's no epiphany that I had. Because I took this game seriously, I knew exactly what I was getting into. Was it tough? Sure, but I didn't learn anything.

I knew before it started that surviving in the wilderness wasn't for me. It's not my element. I'm out of my element.

But the whole key thing was trying to win a million dollars. That was it.

CUT

OK, what made me stop playing the game for the money was that the ends didn't justify the means as far as my body. I told myself that my body comes first. If it breaks down to where I am not able to go any further, I'm not going to push it any further. OK I push my body to a certain point, and then you give it a rest. Because if you overdo it, you'll break down. And you break down because you miss time. And you miss time, that puts you in a hole that you have to climb out of a month or two down the road.

CUT

At tribal council, Probst asked Andrew a question about what the deal was, and he told him flat-out that Osten requested to be taken out. He questioned it. He questioned me and my teammates about my heart, my commitment and blah blah blah. At the end, it was a unanimous decision so there was no need to go up and vote. And I was out. Pretty short and sweet.

CUT

He was questioning my heart and character but you can question it all you want.

CUT

I don't question my heart and character. Not for one bit.

CUT

Like I said before, I want to go as far as my body will take me. Once the tank is on empty, it's on empty and I'm done. And that's living up to my word. And I'm done. It doesn't matter. That's the agreement I made. It doesn't matter about my heart. My heart and body are one in my mind. That's what makes me who I am.

CUT

Based upon what you see, that's what you see on the outside. You don't know how my body is feeling on the inside. Spit up blood and it's a sign that you're body is empty. It's done. What someone else perceives on me is not the matter. If you question what I do, you can get in line to kiss my ass. Make sure you go to the back of the line because it doesn't really matter to me.

CUT

Life will go on. .. In the end of the day will it matter to Osten? No it won't.

CUT

As far as dealing with the people, that wasn't really that big of a deal. I deal with people, that's something I deal with at work on a daily basis. The biggest thing was not eating food. That was the biggest thing for me. You lose 32 pounds in 18 or 19 days, it's tough.

CUT

I can deal with having the name of the first quitter of survivor. It does not bother me at all. Not for one bit (smiles)

Ugh, what a sanctimonious puss :rolleyes
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Well, this did nothing to raise my opinion of Osten...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks for transcribing it, Hotlantan!

(You did transcribe it, right, and didn't just cut and paste from another fan-site? Because as interesting as it may be, we don't allow that)

What an idiot. Talk about someone that takes 'your body is a temple' a little too seriously.

For him to complain about not eating properly when he did absolutely nothing to help himself makes me sick. Did he miss the first Survivor? They had to eat rats, for gawds sake. Not sure where he thought the all day buffet would be stored.

I'm so glad he's gone and he's the main reason why I'm not upset with the twist. Had Osten been voted out when he initially proved to be useless... which was around day 1... one of those 3 wouldn't have been kicked off. Osten was coddled and taken care of more than anyone on that island and he's supposedly in the best physical condition than anyone else. I truly hope the guy does get shipwrecked somewhere when he doesn't have the option of quitting.

I'm thoroughly annoyed that this guy squandered an opportunity that thousands of people vie for. Why MB cast this idiot is beyond me.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

He was useless! If he couldn't swim, fine. Go find bugs, grass, tree bark, clams, nuts, or whatever else you can find. Sheesh! I also can't believe that he said he had no survival skills. Then why did you go on *SURVIVOR*, you moron? Go on Fear Factor or Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Edited to Add

Yeah!!! 2,000 Posts for stargazer
    Last edited by Stargazer; 10-31-2003 at 02:34 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fogey
    Ok, I can understand why he was worried about losing a lot of weight but WTF? That happens all the time. This isn't the first season where he isn't sure of how much he'll lose, he must know that people really lose a lot of weight. DUH!!!!!!!!!! I still think he's a big idiot. Argh. I am soooooooooo glad he's gone!

What a self-delusional fool...although I don't really question his heart and character either--it's clear he has none. If food were such a huge deal, he should have planned a little better in the market, eh? Instead, he runs around selling his clothes and whatnot. What an imbecile.

What a jerk.

Did anybody else notice that they didn't have his parting comments on at the end of the show? Has anybody commented on that? Maybe Jeff & them felt he didn't deserve it.

FORT Newbie
    Watching it last night, Jeff prompted the rest of his tribe about the "quit" question and they all sort of excused Osten while saying that they would never quit themselves. I was so hoping that somebody would bring up what I felt was the real issue with having a quitter on your team (esp. one who, ostensibly (no pun intended) should be one of, if not THE, strongest competitors in your tribe).

That being how unfair it is to the rest of the tribe that he's quitting on them. Seriously, what a knife in the backs of his tribemates that he's just going to quit on them. Better he had never played at all, better they had kept any of the people they voted off while trying to nurture this catasser. Despicable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast