+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Osten Taylor explains his decision

in banana world
    Someone mentioned something about Osten always being clean-shaven and pretty much just hair-free. Maybe he just doesn't grow hair. If you look closely at him, he doesn't seem to have an ounce of hair in his body.

ETA: never mind. I just saw his Auditon video and he has hair on his head.... so scratch that.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I have to agree that the producers are keeping an eye out on the phyiscal condition of all of the survivors...and my memory fails me for the particular episode...But I do recall Jeff bringing rice to one tribe which had lost all their food...(they had to give up things for the food...But they were not going to allow the cast members to get really sick...and I am sure they wouldn't this time either..)

Australian Outback... after Jerri was voted off... which is about episode 9 Jeff brought in rice but in return they had to give up their shelter and Colby's luxury item the Texas flag which was used as a roof of the shelter

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ManySkills
    Fluff, I'm glad someone else noticed that. I too was a little uncomfortable with the holier-than-thou role Jeff took. Hey, come on, you dissed his character on national television. This is a game, for God's sake.

BTW, Lots of contestants have wanted to quit before - even Jenna. Not all of them get air time. I remember hearing that after losing the coke challenge, Deena was ready to throw in the towel. And who was that cute gal from the women's Amazon tribe who begged for everyone to vote her out? Why doesn't SHE get the honors of being the first Survivor ever to quit?

Yeah, yeah, I can hear you guys arguing - "but it was only temporary, only whining, ..."

But hey, there's a big difference between whining that you want to quit and actually pulling the trigger and quitting..

oops, oh yeah....

ManySkills, I brought up Shawna from the Amazon on the 10/30 spoiler thread. The only difference between her and Osten is the fact that Osten's tribemates agreed to vote for him and Shawna's didn't. Shawna's tribemates basically said "too bad, you're staying whether you like it or not." They needed her for the alliance.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    thanks lalol for the info...

As much as I like Ryan S, I don't think he would have held 160 lbs as long as Osten did. Nor did he do much better in the water challenges. Nor would it have been a close contest with Rupert on the rope pull. This has been a very physical Survivor and Rupert is truly a really strong guy with functional muscle (rather than show muscle) and the bone structure to support it. I suspect that a lot of Osten's poor attitude had to do with the frustration of losing in head to head contests of strength. Perhaps he hoped to be the pretty boy and instead got miscast as a strong man.
    Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin
    ManySkills, I brought up Shawna from the Amazon on the 10/30 spoiler thread. The only difference between her and Osten is the fact that Osten's tribemates agreed to vote for him and Shawna's didn't. Shawna's tribemates basically said "too bad, you're staying whether you like it or not." They needed her for the alliance.

Thanks, Kristin.

The funny thing is, I don't see everyone coming down on Shawna the way they are on Osten. Maybe everyone expects more from the big strong guy.

It's sort of an odd reverse descrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by ManySkills
    Thanks, Kristin.

The funny thing is, I don't see everyone coming down on Shawna the way they are on Osten. Maybe everyone expects more from the big strong guy.

It's sort of an odd reverse descrimination.
    Not for me. I came down hard on Shawna at the time too. She was a loser and Osten is a loser. We all see what happens to people when they go on Survivor. Its not a party cruise. If you can't hack it, don't sign up.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Not for me. I came down hard on Shawna at the time too. She was a loser and Osten is a loser. We all see what happens to people when they go on Survivor. Its not a party cruise. If you can't hack it, don't sign up.
    i think the screening process should include more pyschological profiles and more intense background checks... giving up isnt really a big deal- hey maybe they couldnt hack it, maybe it's tougher then it looks on tv- but they should have been weeded out before they ever got to the island!

giving up gracefully is one thing- quitting and throwing it in our face is another- i imagine they were a few more Survivors who quit the game mentally- but just checked out quietly w/out making a big deal about it!

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    i think the screening process should include more pyschological profiles and more intense background checks... giving up isnt really a big deal- hey maybe they couldnt hack it, maybe it's tougher then it looks on tv- but they should have been weeded out before they ever got to the island!

giving up gracefully is one thing- quitting and throwing it in our face is another- i imagine they were a few more Survivors who quit the game mentally- but just checked out quietly w/out making a big deal about it!

I'll have to agree that Osten should have never made it past the screeners. I also agree that if you decide to 'quit', then find a way to paint a big ole target on your back instead of making a fool out of yourself on national tv. The way Osten did it was a slap in the face to everyone who tried to get on this season.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast