+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Osten Taylor explains his decision

Princess
    Spit up blood and it's a sign that you're body is empty.
    Is he saying that he was spitting blood? If so, wouldn't that call for some medical checkup? Sure they don't want the contestants to die out there?
    As far as taking away from the game of Survivor, I've taken nothing. There's no epiphany that I had. Because I took this game seriously, I knew exactly what I was getting into. Was it tough? Sure, but I didn't learn anything.
    I knew before it started that surviving in the wilderness wasn't for me. It's not my element. I'm out of my element.
    If that was the case - why did he even apply?? :rolleyes And he "didn't learn anything"... :rolleyes

This guy is clueless.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    IF I understand from the babble that Osten was spurting since the start..he was convinced he had pneumonia....since about the day they tossed him into the water..hard to believe though it may be for us on the side lines..(no cough..no fever..heck no symptoms what so ever....) Osten must be the biggest hypocondriac since Howard Hughes.....

If he was so convinced he had pneumonia, or let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he thought he was on the verge of coming down with pneumonia, why did he choose to swim out for a puzzle piece in the challenge where he could have chosen to dig in the sand?

Osten was such a disappointment to anyone who loves Survivor. Bring on the bitchy ones, the backstabbing ones, the catty ones and the hard-working ones - but leave out the quitters. Osten was depressing & glum.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Newbie
    Well, I think Osten is completely full of crap. Last night I watched his audition tape on the CBS Survivor website and what he says there is the complete opposite of how he acted in this game. In the tape, he talked about how not only was he physically prepared but mentally prepared, stressing the mental part of this game. I can see why they did choose him, based on the tape. He certainly sounded like he knew exactly what he was getting into.

I think Osten started mentally checking out when he couldn't keep his underwear up.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I agree. Osten is full of crap, and he was SO not mentally prepared.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Nothing but a big to everyone. He only has himself to blame. No person with an iota of common sense would sell almost all of his clothing, knowing the kinds of conditions the Survivors will go through. Osten was finished from Day 1.

I want to comment too, but I'll only be repeating what everyone else has been saying
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    For the person who asked about lower body fat persons having a more difficult time than persons with more body fat to be used for energy...

Starvation occurs in several stages. Initiallly carbohydrates that are stored in the liver and muscle tissues are converted to energy first (it is quite possible that this can be depleted in within 18 hours), these stores are minimal. They are used for the most part to keep things working on the metabolic or cellular level. When those carbohydrates are all used up in the body then protein (amino acids) begin to be converted into glucose for energy, which keeps the metabolic processes working. This messes up the nitrogen balance in the body (negative balance) meaning that more nitrogen leaves the body than comes into it . This sets up the body to then begin using body fat and converting it to glucose for energy (the whole process from the beginning to this point takes anywhere from 5- 9 days [ that is before body fat is converted and used]. The initial wt loss these people see prior to this point is water weight not fat loss. Once fat stores are being used for energy it takes approximately 4-6 weeks for them to be depleted (in the average person) it is reasonable to say that someone with a lower body fat content would deplete these stores at a faster rate then someone with a higher fat content, but those people who have a high quantity of muscle mass would (I think) take longer to get the point of using their body fat. The process goes on to where after body fat is depleted muscle, body organs, and plasma proteins (albumin is the primary one) begin to be used as the energy source which changes oncotic pressure in the blood which causes shift in body fluids. You know those pictures of starving children you see on TV?
    They are skin and bones , with arms and legs like twigs and the giant bellies, that is the shift in body fluids (called Third-spacing). No one on Survivor has been to this stage of starvation. The things that they are most likely feel (physically) are: Skin is cooler , dry skin, brittle nails, hair loss, night blindness, increased risk for infections (bug bites , injuries, respiratory , they can't fight off what most of us can ), diarrhea, flabby muscles, decreased endurance, depression (mentally), slowed reflexes, weakness, decreased urine output, menstrual cycles stop. Some may have these or other symptoms to varying degrees. This is just a general outline of how things work in the body, there are person variables for every individual. And although they are not getting steak and fish everyday , they are still getting carbohydrates (rice) and protein (beans) which will help to save muscle to some degree. As far a it being painful, I don't think that any of them should be to a point where the muscle wasting should be painful (but , then again I can not presume what they feel as I am not in there shoes, all I know is what we are taught regarding the pathophysiology of the problem). I'm sure they are fatiqued, maybe sore (probably more due to the challenges rather than starvation at this point). We have this patient that comes in from time to time that has a protein wasting disease who is very painful , but they have had this for many , many , many years and has progressed to the point of the big belly that I described earlier. As I said no one on Survivor gets to that point or even near that point.
    Hope this answers your question and is not too terribly long or boring for you all.

Personally, I don't think Ostens body was the issue. I'm sure in order for him to get his body in the condition it is/was in in the first place took far more diligence and effort than he expended on the TV show. You don't get a body like that from 15min a day , 3 days a week. He worked his booty off to be buff.

And if anyone ventures far enough into this post to read this can they please answer a question for me....
    Is there some reason why they can't eat the billions of crabs that attack them at night (protected, paracites, bad Karma?)
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911
    And if anyone ventures far enough into this post to read this can they please answer a question for me....
    Is there some reason why they can't eat the billions of crabs that attack them at night (protected, paracites, bad Karma?)
    I read your whole post, but sadly, I can't answer your question

I can't answer the crab question either, unless they weren't considered big enough? I would have at least tried one to see what it tasted like.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast